Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2021, 08:19 PM

4,564 posts, read 7,429,209 times

Advertisements

Saw this article in the Herald Whig today.........

A controversial hotel development on the south end of Siesta Key received approval from Sarasota County commissioners on Tuesday, paving the way for the barrier island's second major hotel project.

Commissioners approved special exceptions that would turn two existing plots of land along Old Stickney Point Road into a new seven-story luxury hotel and a five-story parking garage.

https://www.heraldtribune.com/story/...al/6254199001/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2021, 06:59 PM

78 posts, read 109,376 times
On a recent visit I noticed a yard sign that read "Stop high density hotels". I guess that's what it was referring too.

Old 11-04-2021, 07:02 PM

25,176 posts, read 12,331,449 times
Siesta Key will look like Manhatten 50 years from now. Get out when you can.

Old 11-04-2021, 08:28 PM

67 posts, read 53,066 times
Try ten years or less.

Old 11-04-2021, 10:39 PM

3,822 posts, read 3,255,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FL dreaming View Post
On a recent visit I noticed a yard sign that read "Stop high density hotels". I guess that's what it was referring too.

Naples and Miami are already ruined with high rise hotels and condos.

I can see the hotel thing, but all these condos. Who the hell wants to live high up, have to walk all the way to your car each time, haul stuff up back and forth via elevator, etc. Sounds like hell.

Old 11-05-2021, 07:06 AM

These tall buildings block the view of the Gulf for all of us all year round...

...but most of them are occupied only a few months/year.

But developers, politicians, & realtors alike will line their pockets regardless, and resistance is futile.

Our only remedy is to move elsewhere, which I'm already in the early phases of planning.

I'll be moving to a beach in Florida that prohibits tall buildings along the coast.

Old 11-05-2021, 09:43 AM

71 posts, read 54,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
Siesta Key will look like Manhatten 50 years from now. Get out when you can.
We already are there from AMI, UTC, LWR, DTsrq, LBK, Venice, Bradenton with too many NY'ers.

Old 11-05-2021, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KayakDoc View Post
We already are there from AMI, UTC, LWR, DTsrq, LBK, Venice, Bradenton with too many NY'ers.
I was referring to the very tall buildings, not the people. Those giant view blockers stand there mostly empty for 6 months/year, but we have to look at them 24/7/365

Florida has done a very poor job of preserving its coastlines as parks, for residents at large.

The politicians allow insufficient setbacks from the high-tide water lines, from the streets, and from each other...total eyesores, but they all got their kickbacks, so there's that.

Regarding the people...

DeSantis says the newcomers to FLA are not what we might all assume they are. We'll see in November 2022.

Anecdotal, but I've closely interacted with 100+ of the newcomers from up East in the past 3 years, & I've been pleasantly surprised. Granted, the New Yorkers are the roughest of them all, but its just some of them, not all. I don't paint with such a broad brush as I used to.

Old 11-05-2021, 11:46 AM

9,434 posts, read 4,199,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOforthewin View Post
Naples and Miami are already ruined with high rise hotels and condos.

I can see the hotel thing, but all these condos. Who the hell wants to live high up, have to walk all the way to your car each time, haul stuff up back and forth via elevator, etc. Sounds like hell.
So funny - OMG I have to actually WALK to my car.
You do realize many people who live in cities walk blocks and blocks every day. To the store, to the subway to their friends houses. Carrying stuff up in the elevator is just way too much work -haha. Maybe that's why the obesity rates are so high - walking is hell to these people.

Old 11-05-2021, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by foodyum View Post
So funny - OMG I have to actually WALK to my car.
You do realize many people who live in cities walk blocks and blocks every day. To the store, to the subway to their friends houses. Carrying stuff up in the elevator is just way too much work -haha. Maybe that's why the obesity rates are so high - walking is hell to these people.
I hear you, but these people are used to walking & hefting stuff about. I'd have a very hard time giving up my attached garage, especially returning home during a Summer afternoon gully washer (I'm almost year round here).

My last stop will likely be a low-rise oceanfront condo, but I'll get parking below, with an elevator near my underground parking spot. I'll get my exercise walking the beach, or at the gym.

I hope Siesta Key doesn't get ruined too fast. I'd rather see them limit the taller buildings to 5 stories. That seems to work other places I've been to in FLA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area