Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-04-2022, 09:22 PM

5,587 posts, read 8,400,404 times

Advertisements

My 55+ community had Bright House cable and now has a contract with Spectrum. When we had Bright House, I was offered "Enhanced DVR" service that allowed me to tape up to six shows at a time, and had a gazillion of hours of storage. With Spectrum, I had the same service....until recently when my DVR box had to be replaced. Now, I can only record two shows at a time and can't watch any other channel while it's recording. When I complained, they gave me some technical mumbo-jumbo that seemed like it amounted to this:

The customers with the old Bright House enhanced DVR would be grandfathered.

But their new boxes don't support it.

My neighbor has a different box than I do and she has the Enhanced service. She doesn't remember when she got this box so maybe she's a grandfather.

Can anyone with Spectrum help me out here? Do you have the enhanced DVR? FWIW, the box I have is Explorer 8642HDC. My neighbor has an Arris box. Both the Explorer and the Arris are different boxes than the one I had with Bright House.

I seriously can't believe there is technology to tape six shows at once and yet Spectrum doesn't offer it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2022, 01:36 AM

137 posts, read 196,661 times
Call the local office and see if you can exchange your box for one someone recently returned.

Old 01-06-2022, 08:27 AM

200 posts, read 157,041 times
ain't that simple, some boxes are being phased out

Old 01-07-2022, 08:14 AM

518 posts, read 869,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon08 View Post
My 55+ community had Bright House cable and now has a contract with Spectrum. When we had Bright House, I was offered "Enhanced DVR" service that allowed me to tape up to six shows at a time, and had a gazillion of hours of storage. With Spectrum, I had the same service....until recently when my DVR box had to be replaced. Now, I can only record two shows at a time and can't watch any other channel while it's recording. When I complained, they gave me some technical mumbo-jumbo that seemed like it amounted to this:

The customers with the old Bright House enhanced DVR would be grandfathered.

But their new boxes don't support it.

My neighbor has a different box than I do and she has the Enhanced service. She doesn't remember when she got this box so maybe she's a grandfather.

Can anyone with Spectrum help me out here? Do you have the enhanced DVR? FWIW, the box I have is Explorer 8642HDC. My neighbor has an Arris box. Both the Explorer and the Arris are different boxes than the one I had with Bright House.

I seriously can't believe there is technology to tape six shows at once and yet Spectrum doesn't offer it.
This won't help much but I have that 2 show box your talking about. I hate that antique POS. I researched on line and they have 6 recording box called WORLD box but it's not available in my area. Spectrum is the worst cable provider I've encountered. My advise it to ditch the recorder and just watch your favorites using the on demand feature. Or just use their internet and buy a streaming service. I had xfinity before this and the are light years ahead of Spectrum.

Old 01-07-2022, 08:57 AM

104 posts, read 113,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave w View Post
This won't help much but I have that 2 show box your talking about. I hate that antique POS. I researched on line and they have 6 recording box called WORLD box but it's not available in my area. Spectrum is the worst cable provider I've encountered. My advise it to ditch the recorder and just watch your favorites using the on demand feature. Or just use their internet and buy a streaming service. I had xfinity before this and the are light years ahead of Spectrum.

To Dave's point on the streaming service, we have YouTube TV, which has unlimited DVR storage and you can record multiple things at once. The basic service at $64.99 allows up to 6 concurrent streams at once. We ditched DirecTV for this a year and a half ago and have been very happy with the service which has about 85 channels. On top of that, you don't have to worry about any boxes and devices like you do with cable service, which you are typically charged a rental fee for each month.

If you don't have a smart TV, YouTube TV can be added with a Roku or Firestick if your TV has an HDMI connection.

Old 01-08-2022, 10:01 PM

5,587 posts, read 8,400,404 times
Thanks, you guys, for the suggestions. I am sooo NOT technical so I hate all this stuff. I think my first move will be to go to the Spectrum office rather than try to deal with them on the phone (and the usual getting put on hold then getting disconnected). This is just ridiculous that they don't even OFFER the technology. Plus our community is supposed to get the "bronze package" which includes certain channels, and when they switched me to the new box, they took that away. GRRRRR!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area