Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2022, 10:46 AM

25,732 posts, read 12,808,029 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
Um... yeah.... out of state plate or decals = visitor. Huh.
Vehicles packed with stuff indicates someone who is traveling? You don't say.

Not sure why you are explaining something a 7 year old would know?

How do you jump to "if they are heading North on 75 that means they are leaving the state"?

PS: Do you have any idea how you come across to others? Read your post. It's condescending. People on this board aren't morons, you know. A little self awareness goes a long way ...
I was responding to your post where you claimed it was impossible to spot visitors vehicles...remember?

I can spot them easily. I'm sorry that you do not have the same perceptive abilities.

ALL states people drive here from happen to be North of here...no? If they are heading home, that would be North...no? Not every Northbound car is a visitor leaving, but every visitor leaving will use the Northbound lanes...no?

Sorry, I can't make it any easier for you....God knows I've tried.

Sorry you are having such a bad day...don't worry be happy They'll be less people here in the near future, no matter what they look like while leaving.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2022, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kadonny View Post
So what is everyone's definition of a "snow bird"? I doubt it's the same as a "visitor".
I use "visitor" to include snow-birds AND vacationing tourists both.

I consider Snow-birds people who spend time in Florida during some portion of the Winter, but also some amount of time living up North....maybe even in Canada. They live in both places at different times of the year.

Snow-birds typically (not always) stay longer than vacationing tourists.

Old 03-24-2022, 11:07 AM

9,324 posts, read 16,663,180 times
From April 2020 to April 2021 approx. 329,000 people moved to FL and estimates that 825 people per day are moving there through 2025. Do you think snowbirds are moving there permanently?

We were snowbirds for quite a few years in the Keys and circumstances changed so permanently stay in the northeast. Personal opinion is snowbirds head north usually by April 1. They return because their families are in the northeast and many do not care for the humid weather.

Old 03-24-2022, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellwood View Post
From April 2020 to April 2021 approx. 329,000 people moved to FL and estimates that 825 people per day are moving there through 2025. Do you think snowbirds are moving there permanently?

We were snowbirds for quite a few years in the Keys and circumstances changed so permanently stay in the northeast. Personal opinion is snowbirds head north usually by April 1. They return because their families are in the northeast and many do not care for the humid weather.
Yes, many people who start out snow birds wind up moving to Florida permanently. Anecdotal, but I met one just yesterday from Texas. She approached me while I was out & about in my community to inquire about what is what like living in our community, & the surrounding area. They've been snow-birding for years, but are now house hunting.

Fortunately, many who move here, "bounce back", or go "half-back". More than half leave after a year or two for various reasons.

I'd agree with April 1st departure date. Many rent here for 3-4 months. Many of those leases expire March 31st. Also, most Spring breaks are in the last half of March, so those visitors too will be departing by Sunday April 3rd.

Old 03-24-2022, 12:56 PM

3,833 posts, read 3,340,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
Yes, many people who start out snow birds wind up moving to Florida permanently. Anecdotal, but I met one just yesterday from Texas. She approached me while I was out & about in my community to inquire about what is what like living in our community, & the surrounding area. They've been snow-birding for years, but are now house hunting.

Fortunately, many who move here, "bounce back", or go "half-back". More than half leave after a year or two for various reasons.

I'd agree with April 1st departure date. Many rent here for 3-4 months. Many of those leases expire March 31st. Also, most Spring breaks are in the last half of March, so those visitors too will be departing by Sunday April 3rd.

What part of TX were they from?

Lets say you live in Dallas or Northern TX where it gets cold like the Panhandle of TX. Why not just move to THe Corpus Christi area of South Padre Island that's closer and cheaper? The weather south of Corpus is similar to the metro area of Tampa. SPI and Brownsville area has the same winter averages as Tampa.

Actually, SPI area gets warmer than Tampa sometimes.

Old 03-24-2022, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOforthewin View Post
What part of TX were they from?

Lets say you live in Dallas or Northern TX where it gets cold like the Panhandle of TX. Why not just move to THe Corpus Christi area of South Padre Island that's closer and cheaper? The weather south of Corpus is similar to the metro area of Tampa. SPI and Brownsville area has the same winter averages as Tampa.

Actually, SPI area gets warmer than Tampa sometimes.
She said the Dallas area. It wasnt a long discussion, & she wanted info about our area. She offered that she was late 50's & worried this area was too old, but then she saw all of us residents more her age hanging out, I think she felt better.

I did admit that the Venice area is older overall than the Sarasota area to the North of here, but Venice is also cheaper. I shared with her that we saved ~$150k buying here 3.5 yrs ago, vs. Palmer Ranch. She didn't know where Palmer Ranch was.

I think they snow-birded elsewhere because she wasn't knowlegeable about this forum area.

I hope they find the right place. She said they were tired of snow-birding and ready to make the move. They didnt want to wait 1 year to build, so were looking for pre-owned.

Old 03-24-2022, 03:11 PM

3,833 posts, read 3,340,749 times
Quote:
She said the Dallas area. It wasnt a long discussion, & she wanted info about our area. She offered that she was late 50's & worried this area was too old, but then she saw all of us residents more her age hanging out, I think she felt better.

I did admit that the Venice area is older overall than the Sarasota area to the North of here, but Venice is also cheaper. I shared with her that we saved ~$150k buying here 3.5 yrs ago, vs. Palmer Ranch. She didn't know where Palmer Ranch was.

I think they snow-birded elsewhere because she wasn't knowlegeable about this forum area.

I hope they find the right place. She said they were tired of snow-birding and ready to make the move. They didnt want to wait 1 year to build, so were looking for pre-owned.

Just seemed silly. If I was in Dallas just go south to the coast of South TX. Same state and everything. Transition is far easier when buying a place in the same state as well.

I'm 38 so Sarasota, Venice, Bradenton, etc. all old to me LOL.

I will add when I was a child living in Naples from 1991 to 2002 sure it was still geared towards the retired people. However there was still a fair sized younger population in Collier County that was young. I still have relatives in Naples so I drive there to visit every couple months and I too notice the area overall has gotten quite old. When I left in 2002 I noticed the population was getting older.

Could be because of housing prices and young people moving to the bigger cities where the jobs are. Many I went to high school with don't live in Naples anymore, many don't even live in FL anymore.

Old 03-25-2022, 06:23 AM

21,382 posts, read 7,943,676 times
Quote:
I was responding to your post where you claimed it was impossible to spot visitors vehicles...remember?

I can spot them easily. I'm sorry that you do not have the same perceptive abilities.

ALL states people drive here from happen to be North of here...no? If they are heading home, that would be North...no? Not every Northbound car is a visitor leaving, but every visitor leaving will use the Northbound lanes...no?

Sorry, I can't make it any easier for you....God knows I've tried.

Sorry you are having such a bad day...don't worry be happy They'll be less people here in the near future, no matter what they look like while leaving.
No.

What I said is there is no way to determine if anyone is leaving the STATE.

Just like I have no idea where YOU would be driving if I were behind YOU on 75.

Apparently you can tell a car's destination just by looking at it. Kudos.

Old 03-25-2022, 07:15 AM

5,818 posts, read 12,625,200 times
7 months Florida, 5 months Jersey, Florida resident. Do I qualify to be called the dreaded "snowbird" description from full time floridians ?

Old 03-25-2022, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
No.

What I said is there is no way to determine if anyone is leaving the STATE.

Just like I have no idea where YOU would be driving if I were behind YOU on 75.

Apparently you can tell a car's destination just by looking at it. Kudos.
The state the tag is from is a pretty good clue where its going to...mystery solved
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area