Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2011, 03:06 PM

9 posts, read 51,590 times

Advertisements

Hi,

My soon to be hubby and I are interested in moving to North Port, FL. We live in Spring Hill, FL right now and it sucks! Spring Hill is nothing but a HUGE retirement community with nothing to do and a lot of drugs. We are done with it here, I want somewhere clean and safe... I HATE DRUGS!

So..anyway...

We found an apartment place called The Fountains at North Port, which seems to be the only apartments that will allow my dog because she will be around 60-70lbs.

We havent been able to take a ride down there and take a look at the community. However if anyone on here has information on North Port or the apartments there, I would really appreciate it. Crime rate? Dog-friendly parks? Entertainment? Stuff to do and see? How are the beaches?

Yes, I know I can look it up on the internet. However, the internet can be vast with so much data bases all saying different things...I'd rather just deal with people who actually know the area and/pr live there.

Thanks for any info!!!!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2011, 05:18 PM

1,498 posts, read 3,465,283 times
North Port has no beaches it is inland, 35 minute drive to the beach, good day

Old 02-23-2011, 05:38 PM

7,511 posts, read 22,922,074 times
I live in North Port and have three kids. Its' not bad for what you get, by that I mean the price of the homes. My little one is into gymnastics and the gym is 5 mins from our house. My middle one could live at the beach so we're at Nokomis Beach at least twice a week. That's about a 30-35 minute ride from my home. I drive to Osprey twice a week for Sarasota Crew (rowing), for my middle one. Then there's NP Youth Soccer, Baseball, Basketball, Football and just about anything else you could imagine. The mall, Home Depot, Walgreen's are about 10 minutes or less from my home. North Port has a Skateboard park and dog park. Although when I bring the dogs somewhere it's usually to the dog beach in Venice.

There isn't a whole lot to do in NP at night as far as entertainment. We sometimes go to the movies in Port Charlotte mall about 10 mins away. Or we go up to Sarasota, which is about 40 mins away. There's everything you could imagine to do there. We also go the to drum circles in Nokomis and Siesta beaches.

The beaches are great. In fact, I'll be posting some pics this evening on our beach day today.

On The Fountains, I know it's off of Panacea Blvd, which is a decent area. I just don't know a lot about the complex itself. I don't know anyone who lives there. I'd call the NP Police Dept and see if they can give you some info. You could also look at the police/jail records online and see if you recognize the address on any of the booking records. The NPPD books everyone into the Sarasota county jail. Here's a link to the arrest records: Sarasota County Sheriff's Office - Arrest Reports

You didn't mention if you have kids or not but another place you might want to check is the FL Dept of law enforcement sexual predator list: FDLE Florida Sexual Offenders and Predators

Good luck with it

Old 02-23-2011, 07:11 PM

Thank you so much! That was very helpful!
We dont have kids yet.. but in the future, yes.
The drive to go 35 or 40 minutes isnt bad for entertainment/beach... we have to drive about an hour or two to get to anything of interest in this area for our age group. The only thing around here is golf clubs and bingo tournaments.
I didnt think to call the NPPD... that makes sense.
Thank you again

Old 02-23-2011, 08:07 PM

7,511 posts, read 22,922,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kola_2010 View Post
Thank you so much! That was very helpful!
We dont have kids yet.. but in the future, yes.
The drive to go 35 or 40 minutes isnt bad for entertainment/beach... we have to drive about an hour or two to get to anything of interest in this area for our age group. The only thing around here is golf clubs and bingo tournaments.
I didnt think to call the NPPD... that makes sense.
Thank you again
Yeah, my husband has three aunts who live in Spring Hill. We were just up there at Thanksgiving and I wasn't too fond of it. One of his aunts is moving to Punta Gorda because they're having issues with sinkholes in Spring Hill.

Last edited by SoFLGal; 02-23-2011 at 08:16 PM..

Old 02-24-2011, 10:55 AM

774 posts, read 2,382,272 times
I've been living in North Port now for 3 1/2 years and really love the area.

I do live close to the Fountains and can tell you there is very few problems there. You might also want to check out Toledo Blade Apts which is further down Toledo Blade Blvd.

One big advantage to being to this side of town is you would be literally one minute from the highway.

I absolutely does not take 35-40 min to the beach from here. I can easily and routinely make it to Venice Beach in 20-25 minutes.

If you take the time to actually talk with people living in North Port, you'll get favorable responses 9 out of 10 times.

Just the lack of traffic and congestion alone make it a pleasurable place to be.

Good Luck,

Mikey

Old 02-24-2011, 02:33 PM

360 posts, read 1,909,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey2 View Post
I've been living in North Port now for 3 1/2 years and really love the area.

I do live close to the Fountains and can tell you there is very few problems there. You might also want to check out Toledo Blade Apts which is further down Toledo Blade Blvd.

One big advantage to being to this side of town is you would be literally one minute from the highway.

I absolutely does not take 35-40 min to the beach from here. I can easily and routinely make it to Venice Beach in 20-25 minutes.

If you take the time to actually talk with people living in North Port, you'll get favorable responses 9 out of 10 times.

Just the lack of traffic and congestion alone make it a pleasurable place to be.

Good Luck,

Mikey
I agree. I've traveled to almost every beach from Clearwater to Naples this past year and can tell you it does NOT take you 35 to 45 minutes to get to the nearest beaches around North Port. The closest are probably Englewood Beach or Venice Beach and both take you about 20-25 minutes or so from NP. I think a lot of people choose North Port because you get more value for your money home wise yet are still reasonably close to beaches and also centrally located to either north or south ones in either direction. Who wants to go to the same local beach all the time? Also your home is where you live, so I think that's important too with people who want more space and something newer in North Port over something small and 1960's with low ceilings and outdated, elsewhere, just to have the beach nearby.

Old 02-24-2011, 03:03 PM

1,581 posts, read 3,373,994 times
I agree too. We loved Venice even with all the oldsters but the only homes we could afford there were very old and in need of a lot of repair. In North Port we got a brand new home in a nice neighborhood and affordable insurance. My MIL lives in the Venice area and it doesn't take a half hour to get from our front door to hers. Having a beach closer than a half hour to me is WONDERFUL. Here, I have NO beach and NO sunshine.

Old 02-26-2011, 12:56 PM

Thank you all for your wonderful posts!!!! It helped a lot with our choice.. I think we are going to make the change and move to north port... We are going to visit it on monday...

Old 02-27-2011, 09:04 PM

5 posts, read 7,394 times
Hey Everyone,

Need some help...my hubby and I are contemplating a major move from Chicago to North Port. My hubby will be working in Fort Myers. How far away is Fort Myers from North Port. He has read MANY info sites saying how deserted North Port is because of the housing bubble. We are considering North Port because of the schools. We have 3 kids (11,9 and 2). Can someone please advise us!

Thank you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area