U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2008, 07:14 AM

4,842 posts, read 13,228,731 times

Advertisements

Manatee woman found slain in bedroom

BRIAN BLANCO
Investigators from the Manatee County Sheriff's Office work a crime scene in the 1200 block of 67th Street NW in Bradenton late Wednesday. BRIAN BLANCO/bblanco@bradenton.com By BETH BURGER
bburger@bradenton.com

MANATEE --She was a quiet, slender woman whom neighbors described as friendly and trusting.

She was a retired nurse who loved her cats.

But Wednesday afternoon, she became something else: the third homicide victim in Manatee County this year.

Janice Fore, 74, was found slain in her bedroom in her home in the 1200 block of 67th Street Northwest.

Her neighbors in Northwest Bradenton stood outside in shock Wednesday evening as yellow crime scene tape marked off the street.

"She was a good lady. God bless her," said Sam Roby, a neighbor who crossed himself as he sat on the front stoop of his home. "I just got used to her. She would pick me up when I was down."

Roby, who has lived in the neighborhood for a little over a year, had coffee with Fore just about every morning. He never dreamed this would happen to his friend.

"We talked about anything," he said. "She was a top notch lady."

Fore didn't show up for coffee Wednesday morning.

Her garage door was left open, showing chests and bookshelves with her belongings.

The side door to the garage was left slightly cracked for three kittens to come and go, Roby said.

"I went inside the garage and the kittens looked fine," he said.

He waited for about 30 minutes before deciding Fore had left to run errands.

A couple of months ago, there were about 26 cats Fore cared for that mostly lived outdoors. About 20 of them disappeared and neighbors said parts of their bodies were found scattered on the street.

"She loved them. Any cat that came by, she felt it was her duty to feed them," Roby said.

As of 9 p.m., county officials were going to take the cats to animal control because no one could be found to care for them.

Larry Garren, 52, who lives directly across the street from Fore's home said he woke up at 6 a.m. to make coffee when he saw her car speeding out of the driveway and heading down the street.

"I knew when Janice leaves the house, the garage door always went down. I thought it had to have been an emergency," he said.

The car, a green Volkswagen convertible, was found abandoned about 10:30 p.m. in the 2400 block of State Road 64 East. Investigators will review surveillance tape from a nearby business for evidence.

Garren, who has lived in his home for about 18 years, said the neighborhood is quiet and the neighbors are close.

"Nothing like this happens in this neighborhood. She didn't deserve this," he said.

Fore, whose husband died several years ago, lived alone but was often checked on by neighbors.

She celebrated her birthday Tuesday night with neighbors over dinner.

Authorities responded to the woman's home at 5:40 p.m. after someone found her personal papers and checks in a box Cielo Apartments in the 6900 block of Manatee Avenue. When the man couldn't reach Fore, he contacted authorities.

Authorities are declining to say how Fore was killed. An autopsy will be performed by the medical examiner's office.

"This is a quiet neighborhood," sheriff's office spokesman Dave Bristow said. "One thing that will be asked is, 'should people feel safe?' That's a tough thing to ask right now. We don't know. People need to keep their doors locked and protect themselves any way they normally do.

"A majority of our homicides are domestics or drug-related," he said. "This doesn't fit that criteria."

Anyone with any information is asked to call the sheriff's office at 747-3011 or Crimestoppers at (866) 634-TIPS.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2008, 08:24 AM

16,219 posts, read 34,744,891 times
I saw that in the (online) news this morning. How sad - isn't that address supposed to be in the "good" part of Bradenton? Or are there any good parts there anymore? What a shame, I used to love Bradenton.

I think Sarasota is scaring all the crime up that way. Some European friends of ours want to buy in the area and one realtor I talked to told me just how bad Palmetto has become with gangs and such. I guess Bradenton is getting some of it from both directions (Palmetto to the north, Sarasota to the south)

Old 05-22-2008, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
I saw that in the (online) news this morning. How sad - isn't that address supposed to be in the "good" part of Bradenton? Or are there any good parts there anymore? What a shame, I used to love Bradenton.

I think Sarasota is scaring all the crime up that way. Some European friends of ours want to buy in the area and one realtor I talked to told me just how bad Palmetto has become with gangs and such. I guess Bradenton is getting some of it from both directions (Palmetto to the north, Sarasota to the south)

It's considered the edge of northwest Bradenton and is known to be a very safe area...but with the infiltration of crime (lost jobs and unsupportable drug habits) going towards the beaches, where the money is, things are really taking a downturn in west and northwest Bradenton...There are no GOOD parts of town anymore...whenever I used to drive across the bridge to the island to leave Bradenton, it was like a different world...just a beautiful feeling....

At this point and time, the drawbridges should come up & if you aren't an island resident, and don't have business on the island, you aren't getting on...if you're headed to the beach, you should have beach I.D., at least that way, there might be something traceable if you commit a crime...

Old 05-22-2008, 01:51 PM

960 posts, read 1,502,765 times
Even though I think Bradenton is a pit, I still wouldn't be so quick to jump to the conclusion that this particular crime was committed by someone from the outside.
Figure this... 20 cats are mutilated in this particular neighborhood without anyone hearing or noticing anything strange. Don't you think that is weird?
I also don't think the crime in NW Bradenton has anything to do with being squeezed by Palmetto and Sarasota. Crime is increasing in Sarasota and Palmetto too, unfortunately.

Old 05-22-2008, 02:18 PM

16,219 posts, read 34,744,891 times
Hmm, LadyWithaFan - the article I saw in Herald Tribune made no mention of many mutiliated cats, only that some had disappeared. Is there an implication here that her killer may have had something to do with killing the cats?

I have read of sooo many horrible things happening in the past year, not only in Bradenton, but many towns. I guess we just can't escape crime and sick individuals no matter where we go.

I'm not sure how to advise our European friends where to buy. They want an upscale waterfront condo, and are looking with a good realtor from Michael Saunders, and I know that one condo they like is in Cortez village. I would assume a gated area with lots of security should be okay? They would only be winter residents.

Anyway, I sure feel sorry for what happened to this poor old lady; and I also feel sorry for the residents of that neighborhood, too, they are not going to be able to rest.

Old 05-22-2008, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
Hmm, LadyWithaFan - the article I saw in Herald Tribune made no mention of many mutiliated cats, only that some had disappeared. Is there an implication here that her killer may have had something to do with killing the cats?

I have read of sooo many horrible things happening in the past year, not only in Bradenton, but many towns. I guess we just can't escape crime and sick individuals no matter where we go.

I'm not sure how to advise our European friends where to buy. They want an upscale waterfront condo, and are looking with a good realtor from Michael Saunders, and I know that one condo they like is in Cortez village. I would assume a gated area with lots of security should be okay? They would only be winter residents.

Anyway, I sure feel sorry for what happened to this poor old lady; and I also feel sorry for the residents of that neighborhood, too, they are not going to be able to rest.
The cats were mentioned in the SRQ Herald article...it's very weird.

I'm not sure if Cortez Village is gated or not...sometimes they jump the gates anyhow...

I'm sure it will get worse when gas hits $5.00 and more layoffs hit Bradenton.

Old 05-22-2008, 07:27 PM

656 posts, read 1,209,556 times
You don't have to live in the ghetto to have a kid hooked on drugs.

Old 05-22-2008, 09:52 PM

3 posts, read 9,693 times
Sadly it is not just Manatee County but all over America,drug use turns people into robbers,killers.
Just look up Murders and you will see it is even worse in some areas.
The economy doesn't turn people into murderers,if that was true,in the days of the depression it would have been a killing field.
From what I am told,it made people more helpful towards each other.

Old 05-26-2008, 04:06 PM

9 posts, read 6,078 times
kids were arrested. one black and one hispanic, but they havent been charged yet.

Old 05-26-2008, 06:21 PM

151 posts, read 574,554 times
Default 2 men charged in Bradenton woman's murder

Posted on Monday, May 26, 2008reprint or license print email Digg it del.icio.us AIM 2 men charged with murder in woman's death

Janice Fore
Fore suspect lived across the street
Otis Mack arrest warrant affidavit
Marcos Herrera arrest warrant affidavit
HERALD STAFF REPORT
MANATEE — Two men have been charged with murder in the suffocation of Janice Fore.

Marcos Herrera and Otis C. Mack, both 20, were already facing burglary charges in connection with the May 21 break-in at Fore's home in the 6700 block of 12th Avenue Northwest. During the burglary, Herrera and Mack bound and gagged Fore with duct tape and left her on her bed, according to investigators with the Manatee County Sheriff's Office.

Fore, who turned 74 a day earlier, was a smoker and suffered from asthma, according to officials.

"These conditions and the tape around her mouth contributed to death," sheriff's detective Sam Levita said in a report.

Deputies found Fore dead at about 5:30 p.m. Wednesday, when they went to return some items of Fore's that had been found behind an apartment complex. Investigators believe Herrera and Mack had tossed the items after fleeing from Fore's home in her green Volkswagen convertible.

The car was found later that evening abandoned at a strip shopping center on Manatee Avenue East. A security camera captured Herrera and Mack leaving the car, according to court documents.

Circuit Judge Marc Gilner this morning ordered the men to be held without bond.

Herrera, who previously had rented a room in a house across the street from Fore, and Mack were arrested late Saturday. Authorities say their fingerprints were found in Fore's house and in her car, according to court documents.

Herrera had been released from jail May 14 after he was sentenced to 60 days in jail and 2 years probation for an attempted armed robbery in the Village Green area of Bradenton. Herrera released with time served because he had been in jail since the March 19 incident, during which he pointed a gun at a woman and threatened to shoot her.

Mack had been arrested April 10 on a charge of battery on a law enforcement officer, but the state attorney's office earlier this month declined to prosecute the case.

__________________________________________________ ____

Most victims "know" their killer or "know of" their killer, I don't think they intended to kill her from all reports. They simply took advantage of an elderly woman living alone, a real shame.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area