Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2022, 08:44 AM

12 posts, read 12,470 times

Advertisements

Hi all!

I found out a few months ago that my company would like for me to transfer to the new location in Port Charlotte next year. I am super happy about this as I've been dying to get out of Illinois, lol. My boyfriend will be moving with me, and the company he works for has a location in Tampa that he will be able to transfer to. Since Tampa and Port Charlotte are not super close to each other, I'm having a difficult time trying to figure out what area we should move to so that neither one of us has too long of a commute. I work in real estate, so I won't need to drive to the office every day (maybe two to three times a week), but my boyfriend will need to drive to his office Monday-Friday. So, with that being said, I'm more concerned with him having a shorter commute than I do.

I've been thinking somewhere around Sarasota/Bradenton would be best, but I just figured hearing other peoples opinions could help! We're coming down there in August to try to figure it out.

I appreciate the help on this! It's been difficult trying to figure all of this out while living across the country.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2022, 09:34 AM

402 posts, read 261,330 times
First, congratulations on each of you being able to find employment near each other. That had to be a relief.

Second, get a really good real estate broker. There are a few on this forum who know their stuff well. There a few on YouTube - and you can get a feel on YouTube of whether they are a good personality fit for you. They know the rental and purchase markets.

Third, as to where to live, LWR Bradenton near US 75 is the mid-point. Just under an hour in either direction. Palmetto, for example, might work for you - 45 minutes to Tampa and an hour to Port Charlotte. There are other places that a broker can be helpful with.

Old 05-19-2022, 07:12 PM

3,650 posts, read 9,503,710 times
Port Charlotte and Tampa are far apart with really bad traffic - and if there is an accident you will be sitting for hours - just being honest - if you get a place in Bradenton he will have to go over the skyway every day and sometimes it is closed for bad weather - going south will be easier for you.

Old 05-19-2022, 07:29 PM

2,341 posts, read 2,289,196 times
What part of Tampa will he work in?

Old 05-19-2022, 07:29 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,869,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trying941 View Post
First, congratulations on each of you being able to find employment near each other. That had to be a relief.

Second, get a really good real estate broker. There are a few on this forum who know their stuff well. There a few on YouTube - and you can get a feel on YouTube of whether they are a good personality fit for you. They know the rental and purchase markets.

Third, as to where to live, LWR Bradenton near US 75 is the mid-point. Just under an hour in either direction. Palmetto, for example, might work for you - 45 minutes to Tampa and an hour to Port Charlotte. There are other places that a broker can be helpful with.
I75 is a horrible drive imo but I don’t make it daily
Can your bf arrange any kind of work from home or staggered hours?
Port Charlotte is great fishing, beach, outdoor location

Old 05-19-2022, 07:31 PM

2,341 posts, read 2,289,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
They don’t have a beach that I’m aware of.

Old 05-20-2022, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
Unfortunately not, he's a truck driver so he needs to go there every morning to pick up the truck.

Old 05-20-2022, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FL_Expert View Post
What part of Tampa will he work in?
From looking at a map I believe it's near East Lake? It isn't far from the Tampa Executive Airport.

Old 05-20-2022, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy in Nokomis View Post
Port Charlotte and Tampa are far apart with really bad traffic - and if there is an accident you will be sitting for hours - just being honest - if you get a place in Bradenton he will have to go over the skyway every day and sometimes it is closed for bad weather - going south will be easier for you.
Good to know. Thanks! I'm not really as concerned about my commute time as I am for his. I work mostly from home and on the road, I'll just need to go into the office a couple times a week when needed.

Old 05-20-2022, 08:46 AM

64 posts, read 53,411 times
Only good options that aren't ridiculous (lol, it's all bad) might be Palmetto, Parrish or Ellenton.

You're the one with less driving demand/hassles, so deal with it....he even drives for a living, and that is compounded by having to DRIVE to go Drive. You should be the one to be a bit more "hassled" given you don't have to do it each and every day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area