Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2022, 02:38 PM

137 posts, read 197,316 times

Advertisements

Its not their fault, they're just victims of their "environment".

The parents of the 13 and 14 year olds who are out at 3am committing car jackings and armed home invasions are the ones to blame.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2022, 02:53 PM

402 posts, read 261,851 times
Talking in forums and complaining to your neighbors has had and will have no effect.

Letters have no effect.

If groups of individual citizens, organized or not, were to show up in numbers at pre-trial detention hearings and sentencings, you would be shocked at how effective that could be.

Sunlight is an amazing disinfectant.

What is shocking, is how rarely citizens get involved. Your voice matters, if you show up.

Old 07-17-2022, 03:20 PM

25,762 posts, read 12,840,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trying941 View Post
First, let's deal with the insult. I was born in Florida to parents who lived in Florida. You were not. You are the transplant.

Now, let us talk about where Lakewood Ranch is located. Yes, technically LWR is mostly in Manatee County and not in Bradenton. (And is moving into some of Sarasota County.) But, the Sarasota metropolitan area as a metropolitan area is defined by the Office of Management and Budget as the North Port–Sarasota–Bradenton metropolitan statistical area and includes LWR. People, including postal workers, use the terms interchangeably - even if not right. So, occasionally do I. It is transplants like you that like to make these distinctions to try and claim they are locals.
Adding to the confusion is you can live in Lakewood Ranch, which is not in the city limits of Brandenton, but have a Bradenton mailing address...like I had back in the 1980's.

I lived in Lakewood Ranch before it was known as Lakewood Ranch, in Braden Woods, & I had a Bradenton mailing address. I was at least 3 miles from the Bradenton city limits...maybe more.

When I lived there, I dont think there was 1 retail store along state road 70...not 1. There were no stores to steal from, so low crime rates.

Old 07-18-2022, 07:05 AM

71 posts, read 66,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor Blevin View Post
We have tried going soft on crime. Maybe it is time we go the other way. Ramp up the death penalty for murder. Make it routine for a repeat offense. Public handings. Public canings for 'youths". Cut off a hand for theft.

I mean, we are not getting anywhere the way we are currently going. Things are just getting much worse. Maybe we should just give the cops & courts authority to go full Def Con 5 and see what happens. Make it so the laws sunset in 5 years so if they turn out bad or abusive, they just go away and things bo back to "normal" bad and falling we have today.

I am talking about sentencing, not changing anything with due process, or miranda, or reasonable suspicion. None of that should change. Just take sentencing up 5 levels.

Maybe if we threw the book at first offenders, it would scare the copy cats straight and they would think twice about moving up the violent homicidal gang-banging thug felon food chain.

Seriously, what do we have to lose? We have tried everything else.

If we don't crush these professions crime gangs with their smash and grabs, car thefts, car jackings, and home invasions then we are going to become just like a bad Central American country.
Thank you. I couldn't agree more. This is the only way to solve the problem. Unfortunately everything else society has tried has failed.

As for newcomers and the relativeness of the crime level: I was commenting to my realtor just yesterday (she stayed professional) about how safe I feel in this area compared to the city I am originally from. I want this area to stay that way, and per the suggestions above I'd be happy to see it get even safer by eliminating all this type of crime with extremely strong sentencing, after due process.

Old 07-18-2022, 08:20 AM

41 posts, read 39,612 times
Quote:
First, let's deal with the insult. I was born in Florida to parents who lived in Florida. You were not. You are the transplant.

Now, let us talk about where Lakewood Ranch is located. Yes, technically LWR is mostly in Manatee County and not in Bradenton. (And is moving into some of Sarasota County.) But, the Sarasota metropolitan area as a metropolitan area is defined by the Office of Management and Budget as the North Port–Sarasota–Bradenton metropolitan statistical area and includes LWR. People, including postal workers, use the terms interchangeably - even if not right. So, occasionally do I. It is transplants like you that like to make these distinctions to try and claim they are locals.

Nope, native to Florida. Don't know how you would know really anything about me, or my hometown, because I'm just another faceless poster on the Internet! That in itself seems very very odd indeed, but who cares, other than you?

I'll say this again: NONE of Lakewood Ranch, essentially a pud...sorta, is in Bradenton. It's no where near the City of Bradenton.

Claiming or disseminating erroneous geographical information then hiding behind what YOU think is only a "technical" differentiation, doesn't make your assertion and nomenclature correct and truth. Besides that, it's not helpful, it's just WRONG. Get it?

The truth is the truth, no matter how inconvenient. Conventional wisdom is often bone-headed.

Additionally, The United States Postal Service can "label" its delivery area anything they really wish in order to establish an orderly distribution. For example, lots of mail in this area actually can get, and does get "sorted" in Tampa. Formerly, say around the 1980s> mail got "sorted", etc out of "Tallevast, FL"......lol, "TECHNICALLY". The United States Postal Service is an independent agency of the federal executive branch. The United States Postal Service is required to provide service to all Americans, at a uniform price and quality, regardless of their geographic location. The Postal Service has really nothing to do with geopolitical subdivisons or designations of MSA.

Lakewood Ranch is not a town or city in the State of Florida. Those designations are the responsibility and purview of The State of Florida legislature, not the United States Postal Service, a federal, independent (quasi) agency.

Labeling practically every unincorporated area of Manatee County as "Bradenton" is misleading and patently false....and really stupid. The USPS doesn't care, they are delivering MAIL not drawing boundaries for The State of Florida....that's all.

The Truth is never merely "technical". Deal with it. There's a way that seemeth right.

Deal with it, you're wrong. Accept that, and move on.

Last edited by CecilyCorbin; 07-18-2022 at 08:41 AM..

Old 07-18-2022, 09:02 AM

Here's a bit of accurate Bradenton information provided on City-Data itself: Get educated

https://www.city-data.com/zipmaps/Bradenton-Florida.html

Gotta be blind or willfully ignorant not to see how many miles Lakewood Ranch is from Bradenton. Bradenton occupies roughly only 15 sq miles within Manatee County. Lakewood Ranch development is roughly 47 sq miles or so which is bigger than Disney World.

Last edited by CecilyCorbin; 07-18-2022 at 10:19 AM..

Old 07-18-2022, 09:58 AM

4,621 posts, read 7,545,116 times
Labeling practically every unincorporated area of Manatee County as "Bradenton" is misleading and patently false....and really stupid. The USPS doesn't care, they are delivering MAIL not drawing boundaries for The State of Florida....that's all.

Hey Sheckie, haven't we had this discussion multiple times in the past? The earliest rant I could find goes all the way back to 2006......

The USPS goes by the LEGAL address given to a property by the local government with jurisdiction. In the case of the Manatee side of Lakewood Ranch, that would be the county.

You can actually pull up the many paged document on Street Standards under the Manatee County Development Code. It gets into detail about how addresses are assigned to properties.

Therefore, if anyone has issues with a majority of Manatee COUNTY being assigned Bradenton as the city in the legal street address, go talk to the COUNTY, probably should start with the Transportation Management dept.

Old 07-18-2022, 10:29 AM

Quote:

Nope, native to Florida. Don't know how you would know really anything about me, or my hometown, because I'm just another faceless poster on the Internet! That in itself seems very very odd indeed, but who cares, other than you?

I'll say this again: NONE of Lakewood Ranch, essentially a pud...sorta, is in Bradenton. It's no where near the City of Bradenton.

Claiming or disseminating erroneous geographical information then hiding behind what YOU think is only a "technical" differentiation, doesn't make our assertion and nomenclature correct and truth. Besides that, it's not helpful, it's just WRONG. Get it?

The truth is the truth, no matter how inconvenient. Conventional wisdom is often bone-headed.

Additionally, The United States Postal Service can "label" its delivery area anything they really wish in order to establish an orderly distribution. For example, lots of mail in this area actually can get, and does get "sorted" in Tampa. Formerly, say around the 1980s> mail got "sorted", etc out of "Tallevast, FL"......lol, "TECHNICALLY". The United States Postal Service is an independent agency of the federal executive branch. The United States Postal Service is required to provide service to all Americans, at a uniform price and quality, regardless of their geographic location. The Postal Service has really nothing to do with geopolitical subdivisons or designations of MSA.

Lakewood Ranch is not a town or city in the State of Florida. Those designations are the responsibility and purview of The State of Florida legislature, not the United States Postal Service, a federal, independent (quasi) agency.

The Truth is never merely "technical". Deal with it. There's a way that seemeth right.

Deal with it, you're wrong. Accept that, and move on.

Old 07-18-2022, 10:46 AM

I'll clearly state this again: it's really simple. Lakewood Ranch is NOT in Bradenton.

Ask the Bradenton MAYOR, the elected executive. He doesn't serve Lakewood Ranch. Lakewood Ranch does not have any kind of Mayor, duh, it's not a town or city. Manatee County Commission is the government "entity" essentially for Lakewood Ranch.

Ask The Bradenton Police if they are responsible for policing/crime prevention in Lakewood Ranch. Hint: They are not. SImple

Ask The Bradenton Fire and Rescue if they are responsible for putting out house fires anywhere in Lakewood Ranch. Hint: They are not. Simple.

As a small note, quoting or depending on what "postal workers' describe as the geopolitical landscape around here, or ascribing "intelligence" to most anything the Postal Workers say, do or describe given their lack of efficiency and billions of dollars of "losses" year after year after year, doesn't necessarily speak to high performance levels or accuracy.

People need accuracy, not some kind of flimsy rationalization for being WRONG. It seems that every responsible resident should know where they live and work.

There are uneducated, detached, indifferent, ignorant, and of course stupid people that work for the counties, the cities, the towns, the SCHOOL BOARD, Planning Commission, the sheriffs departments, real estate firms and the Postal Service.....and tons of new arrivals as well.

Old 07-18-2022, 12:59 PM

402 posts, read 261,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CecilyCorbin View Post
I'll clearly state this again: it's really simple. Lakewood Ranch is NOT in Bradenton.

Ask the Bradenton MAYOR, the elected executive. He doesn't serve Lakewood Ranch. Lakewood Ranch does not have any kind of Mayor, duh, it's not a town or city. Manatee County Commission is the government "entity" essentially for Lakewood Ranch.

Ask The Bradenton Police if they are responsible for policing/crime prevention in Lakewood Ranch. Hint: They are not. SImple

Ask The Bradenton Fire and Rescue if they are responsible for putting out house fires anywhere in Lakewood Ranch. Hint: They are not. Simple.

As a small note, quoting or depending on what "postal workers' describe as the geopolitical landscape around here, or ascribing "intelligence" to most anything the Postal Workers say, do or describe given their lack of efficiency and billions of dollars of "losses" year after year after year, doesn't necessarily speak to high performance levels or accuracy.

People need accuracy, not some kind of flimsy rationalization for being WRONG. It seems that every responsible resident should know where they live and work.

There are uneducated, detached, indifferent, ignorant, and of course stupid people that work for the counties, the cities, the towns, the SCHOOL BOARD, Planning Commission, the sheriffs departments, real estate firms and the Postal Service.....and tons of new arrivals as well.
The lady doth protest too much, methinks" Hamlet by William Shakespeare.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area