Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2022, 03:28 PM

361 posts, read 258,659 times

Advertisements

I like the reports from Mote Marine:

https://visitbeaches.org/alerts

You can register for emails about conditions at your beach(es) of choice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2022, 05:58 PM

224 posts, read 186,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Exactly. All of the runoff from ground saturation winds up somewhere and would guess it's primarily insecticides from our friends at Monsanto (and others).
I bussed tables at laishley crab shack. There's tons of boats in Charlotte harbor. Every time it rains which is every day in summer you smell sewage. Their tanks over flow. All those people live on their boats and their sewage goes right into the harbor. Then there's fertilizer run off. Lake okochobee used to be crystal clear now it's thick sludge of algae from all the fertilizer running off the farms. Half our red tide is from lake okochobee run off.

Old 10-28-2022, 04:55 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,832,630 times
Red tide flags lifted at beaches

Old 10-30-2022, 10:04 AM

21,382 posts, read 7,935,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
Red tide flags lifted at beaches
Friends went to Englewood beach yesterday.

They were coughing and saw dead fish. Quickly returned to their car.

Old 10-31-2022, 10:21 AM

2,194 posts, read 1,137,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
How many posts until we hear "climate change" "rising seas inundating mankind", & "DeSantis's fault" ?

Let me remind everyone that the earliest explorers of these waters in the 1600's, documented the presence of what is now called "Red Tide". It pre-dates human civilization here.

Mote Marine scientists have repeatedly called it a naturally occurring organism.

Let me also remind everyone, that it begins 30+ miles offshore, in clean waters, then spreads inland, not the other way around.

Proof? Look back on the hundreds of posts on this topic last time it arose...its all there...links galore.
Sure, but was it happening every single year?

Just because something is naturally occurring doesn't mean we can't make it worse.

Old 10-31-2022, 12:27 PM

25,693 posts, read 12,772,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djsuperfly View Post
Sure, but was it happening every single year?

Just because something is naturally occurring doesn't mean we can't make it worse.
Agreed. Mote marine's scientist know that it starts well offshore, & pre-dates human civilization here. They also know its fed by nitrates, & human waste is nitrate rich, so human activity can make it worse as winds push it towards us.

This happens all over the World, not just here. The hot shallow stagnant water of the Gulf make it vulnerable to Red Tide.

Old 11-02-2022, 12:08 PM

8,037 posts, read 4,631,899 times
Red tide returns to several Sarasota County beaches

https://news.google.com/articles/CBM...S&ceid=US%3Aen

Due to elevated counts of red tide in Monday’s beach water samples, the Florida Department of Health in Sarasota will be posting signs at several beaches to advise that red tide is present.

Officials said beaches with elevated levels of red tide include Venice Beach, Service Club Park, Venice Fishing Pier, Brohard Beach, Caspersen Beach, Manasota Key, and Blind Pass.

Less than one month earlier, county officials issued a similar warning for red tide but later lifted the advisory following negative results.

Old 11-02-2022, 03:11 PM

I was at the Venice beaches today (Wednesday 11-2), & I smelled nothing, felt nothing, but did see 1 dead fish at the Feedom Boat Club docks.

I'm not saying it isn't there in small amounts, but not detectable to most people, unless perhaps those with you respiratory ailments, like asthma, COPD, ect.. In those cases, stay clear.

Old 11-25-2022, 04:19 AM

Great news...Red Tide has dissipated greatly in the past 10 days.

Most beaches have low readings, a few have medium, & none have high as of today (Black Friday).

Here's the map to check your favorite beach:

https://myfwc.maps.arcgis.com/apps/V...ec711d16462a72

For me personally, the White or Yellow dot readings do not bother me at all, and the caramel colored readings only bother me if its windy, and winds are coming into my face from offshore. Each person reacts differently, so be aware. When Red dot readings are present, I can't go there w/o coughing.

Beat the crowds to Black Friday by going early, then head out to the beach later in the day....perhaps for Sunset.

Old 11-29-2022, 12:35 PM

91 posts, read 76,646 times
I felt respiratory effects from Red Tide for the past few days in Longboat Key. Today there were lots of dead fish along the beach in Longboat Key, and the shore birds have disappeared from the beach.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area