Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2022, 03:42 PM

26,025 posts, read 13,030,734 times

Advertisements

Red Tide did a total u turn over the past 2 days....lots Red Dot (high concentration) readings now (Nov 29th 2022).

I think the readings lag by 1 day because I was at Venice beach today, and winds were blowing out, & people on the beach were not coughing. If the winds were blowing inshore, based upon the samples taken, I don't think anyone could have remained on the beach. Wind direction is huge for humans feeling the impact along our shorelines.

I'm hoping cooler temps will help it go away, and until then winds will keep blowing out, & not in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2022, 03:28 PM

9,131 posts, read 4,808,102 times
I haven't been to the beach recently but a friend of mine was at Nokomis Beach last week and said red tide was kind of bad with dead fish. She said hardly anybody was at Nokomis Beach.

High levels of red tide across all Sarasota County beaches and waterways

https://news.google.com/articles/CBM...S&ceid=US%3Aen

NOKOMIS BEACH, Fla. (WWSB) - From the beaches to the canals and many waterways up and down the Suncoast, dead fish can be seen. High levels of red tide is to blame.

“It’s devastating. Hopefully it won’t last long, it comes and goes,” said Dana Tyler, a Bradenton resident visiting Nokomis Beach.

All Sarasota County beaches currently have high levels of red tide. Many Manatee County beaches also also seeing elevated levels of the algae. Environmentalists say it could get worse before it gets better.

Old 12-01-2022, 04:53 PM

9,131 posts, read 4,808,102 times
There's a very disheartening photo of dead fish taken this afternoon at Lido Beach:

https://www.heraldtribune.com/story/...e/10809876002/

Old 12-01-2022, 05:32 PM

6,311 posts, read 6,852,098 times
I was on Siesta Key for Black Friday and I put my toes in and then right after I saw two dead fish!! I was mortified I left the beach early and washed my feet off like a bunch. I was sad because I hadn't actually gone to the beach in like 2 years and I thought the water quality was going to be better. The sunset was pretty, though. Maybe next time.

Old 12-05-2022, 08:18 AM

2,540 posts, read 3,745,199 times
It's really bad.

We were hoping to watch the boat parade over the weekend so we rode our scooter to South Jetty to figure out where to put our chairs, but we were only there for maybe 5 mins before we drove away - the stench was unbearable!! We started coughing as soon as we got there. There was an older gentleman sitting there who was coughing continuously from the moment we arrived and was still coughing when we drove away. Looking across the water at the beach area, only a few brave (or foolish) souls were at the beach. How anyone could sit there smelling the dead fish stench was beyond me.

Then last night we went to Cessariano to watch the Sunday Night live jazz music and parked our car at the Centennial Park parking area. I could smell the dead fish stench as soon as I stepped out of the car. We couldn't see the dead fish since Centennial Park is not at the beach, but we could certainly smell it.

I hope this is not going to become a year-round happening in our area - or I will seriously think about moving further up along the coast. I moved here for the beach so what good is there if I can't even go near it.

Old 12-05-2022, 08:27 AM

2,374 posts, read 2,346,437 times
I think we’ve had red tide in 3 out of the past 5 years. It used to not be this common, hopefully it’s just an anomaly.

Old 12-05-2022, 08:50 AM

361 posts, read 260,774 times
"It's just an acorn". Quoting the poster that I find incredibly wrong about so many things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FL_Expert View Post
I think we’ve had red tide in 3 out of the past 5 years. It used to not be this common, hopefully it’s just an anomaly.

Old 12-05-2022, 09:59 AM

17,574 posts, read 39,253,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulf coast jon View Post
"It's just an acorn". Quoting the poster that I find incredibly wrong about so many things.
The hurricanes have a lot to do with it.

https://www.abcactionnews.com/news/s...0marine%20life.

Old 12-05-2022, 11:24 AM

26,025 posts, read 13,030,734 times
Severe Red Tide that is bad enough to kill fish, occurs <5% of the time here in this forum area. 95% of the time its either not here at all, or it's so mild, it isn't noticeable.

Wind direction is also key...even if its here and strong, if the wind is blowing out to sea, we wont smell dead fish unless you are on the beach, and the breathing impairment will also be dramatically decreased.

We focus upon the time its here, but forget all the times it not here...its a perception issue....just a darned Acorn 95%+ of the time when you look over the past 5 year as a time frame, even though the last 5 years have been abnormally bad.

Its kind of like bad customer service...you'll tell 10 other people about it, but when you get good service, you are much less likely to tell anyone about it. The human response to bad things is much more intense than the human response to good things.

Old 12-05-2022, 06:43 PM

66 posts, read 53,483 times
I was on Siesta Key beach today. No smell or coughing. Water looked clear and although water was a bit chilly there were people in the water. Saw several dead fish scattered about. Overall a good day on beach. Hope the red tide is fading.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area