Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2023, 08:55 PM

3,833 posts, read 3,335,667 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
still too risky to take her there. Stay inland.
We went tonight. I didn't smell any dead fish. No one was swimming though because it was windy and getting cooler out. Wait was about 20 minutes to eat outside, FIgured it would be worse wait time being 5pm and season still. Usually I wait longer.

While food was good as always, I noticed the prices went up a bit since I ate there back in Jan. Also the platter they give you less Scallops now. I guess gotta cutback somewhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2023, 10:01 PM

35,680 posts, read 21,030,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_n_Tenn View Post
It all started with the ACE... jeez your thick. The disruption of flow SOUTH by the ACE causes 90% of all the problems. This is the root cause. The water moving east and west from agricultural run off is done by the ACE!
Army Corps Admits to Dumping Toxic Water Into Florida Estuaries. An official from the Army Corps of Engineers confirmed this week what many people have known for years: The Corps has been dumping toxic water from Lake Okeechobee into local estuaries without warning the public.

I can't believe how ignorant you are about water quality and who's responsible.
First- stop being so condescending, that’s infantile on your part. I posted earlier that since IAN, they are changing strategy on timing and amounts of release, but they are not responsible for polluting all of Florida’s lakes. Lake Okeechobee is not the only problem.

For those that don’t understand:
Water inflows into Lake Okeechobee greatly exceed outflow capacity, thus many times there is too much water within Lake Okeechobee that needs to be released in order to ensure integrity of the Herbert Hoover ****. At other times, there may be too little water within Lake Okeechobee.

Lake levels that are too high or too low, and inappropriate recession and ascension rates, can adversely affect native vegetation, as well as fish and wildlife species that depend upon the lake for foraging and reproduction. The volume and frequency of undesirable freshwater releases to the east and west lowers salinity in the estuaries, severely impacting oysters, sea grasses, and fish. High nutrient levels adversely affect in-lake water quality, estuary habitat, and habitat throughout the Greater Everglades.

The Lake Okeechobee Watershed Restoration Project is an Everglades restoration planning effort that will improve water levels in Lake Okeechobee; improve the quantity and timing of discharges to the St. Lucie and Caloosahatchee estuaries; restore degraded habitat for fish and wildlife throughout the study area; and increase the spatial extent and functionality of wetlands.

The state allocated funds for this project at a tune of $50 million. A pittance.

https://www.saj.usace.army.mil/LOWRP/

Old 03-16-2023, 12:39 PM

25,693 posts, read 12,772,161 times
The Red Tide is virtually gone from our forum area, so there's inadequate pollutants in our water for it to feed on now, so the Red Tide died off due to really clean water.

Enjoy!

Old 03-19-2023, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
The Red Tide is virtually gone from our forum area, so there's inadequate pollutants in our water for it to feed on now, so the Red Tide died off due to really clean water.

Enjoy!
Hope the cooler waters will kill the blooms like it’s killing my plants. I don’t know why they can't clean it up,
Indian River is a hot mess too. Need to keep the phosphorous and nitrogen out of the water. Storm water, pollution and septic tanks are the main culprit, Of course Ian made it 100 times worse.

https://wusfnews.wusf.usf.edu/enviro...-fragile-gains

Old 03-20-2023, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
Hope the cooler waters will kill the blooms like it’s killing my plants. I don’t know why they can't clean it up,
Indian River is a hot mess too. Need to keep the phosphorous and nitrogen out of the water. Storm water, pollution and septic tanks are the main culprit, Of course Ian made it 100 times worse.

https://wusfnews.wusf.usf.edu/enviro...-fragile-gains
They are cleaning it up, but they just began using the new Lake O overflow reservoirs to clean/filter the water before it gets released outward. The initial report from the water guru's I read was positive, but it will take time to see more noticeable changes.

A 2019 report said even after FLA & the Feds spend the $2B allotted for this project, the water still won't be clean enough:

https://floridaphoenix.com/2019/08/1...s-expert-says/

More reservoir space is needed, so they are trying to add more volume North of the Lake too:

https://www.news-press.com/story/new...y/69848356007/

Its estimated that the Lake clean-up will cost $20+B & take 50 years!

https://www.csmonitor.com/Environmen...the-Everglades

Red Tide will not be eradicated, but we are hoping it can be minimized by filtering the polluted water overflowing from Lake O...time will tell.

Shutting down Florida's Phosphate and Agricultural industries (mostly Sugar & Cattle) isnt going to happen, so they should be shouldering most of these costs to do their clean-up.

Big Sugar owns Marco Rubio, so I don't see U.S. Sugar paying their fair share of the clean up costs.

I don't know who MOSAIC (huge phosphate miner) is supporting, that allows them to avoid paying too. MOSAIC just moved their HQ's to Tampa, so they are in deep w/ politicians, & are here to stay.

Red Tide was here since the 1500's that we know of, so its not like pollution causes it all, but it sure looks like the pollutants exasperates it, making blooms larger & more frequent.

This article explains the U.S. Sugar angle, & the politician doing their bidding in Tallahassee:

https://www.floridabulldog.org/2021/...ut-to-farming/

Last edited by beach43ofus; 03-20-2023 at 09:41 AM..

Old 03-30-2023, 09:28 PM

8,037 posts, read 4,631,899 times
Red tide is reported to be back at Lido Beach and Siesta Key - although I don't know the extent of how bad it is. Apparently it's bad enough for signage to be posted:

https://news.google.com/articles/CBM...S&ceid=US%3Aen

Old 03-31-2023, 05:02 AM

The readings posted in the Internet lag 2-4 days, but 4 days ago Siesta was very low concentrations, & Lido was low...on the 27th.

Further South in Englewood/Placida, they had a few high readings on the 29th, & few mediums.

Old 03-31-2023, 03:21 PM

136 posts, read 114,236 times
https://myfwc.com/research/redtide/statewide/

Old 03-31-2023, 03:58 PM

Armageddon is upon us all in Florida....end of time.

Old 04-02-2023, 10:32 PM

Ugggg it’s neither the snowbirds traffic or red tide. I’m 8 mi from a beach I can’t use. Hope get a break soon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area