Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-22-2022, 01:25 PM

9,341 posts, read 4,836,682 times

Advertisements

The city of Sarasota has decided against considering a proposal that could bring boutique hotels and condo units to St. Armands Circle.

https://www.heraldtribune.com/story/...w/10749374002/

A board that represents the circle’s property owners would like the city to update the circle’s zoning regulations, envisioning that hotel rooms or condos could be located on the second floor of some buildings. The first floor would continue to be occupied by businesses.

For hotels to be allowed on the circle, the city would have to amend its Zoning Code. But, on Monday, city commissioners unanimously denied the St. Armands board’s request to have city planning staff develop zoning amendments. They expressed concerns about traffic, and some worried about increasing development on the barrier islands.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2022, 03:29 PM

361 posts, read 261,075 times
Good. This inhabiting barrier island thing has gotten old. Great places to visit for part of the day and enjoy the beaches. But society pays too much for the risk of people living there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wondermint2 View Post
The city of Sarasota has decided against considering a proposal that could bring boutique hotels and condo units to St. Armands Circle.

https://www.heraldtribune.com/story/...w/10749374002/

A board that represents the circle’s property owners would like the city to update the circle’s zoning regulations, envisioning that hotel rooms or condos could be located on the second floor of some buildings. The first floor would continue to be occupied by businesses.

For hotels to be allowed on the circle, the city would have to amend its Zoning Code. But, on Monday, city commissioners unanimously denied the St. Armands board’s request to have city planning staff develop zoning amendments. They expressed concerns about traffic, and some worried about increasing development on the barrier islands.

Old 11-23-2022, 09:36 AM

124 posts, read 100,257 times
Good.

Stupid planning/thought

last thing we need

Old 11-25-2022, 04:21 AM

26,057 posts, read 13,067,159 times
Once gov't allows development to go vertical, there's no stopping it. They'll keep increasing the heights of structures until Lido Key is destroyed. I saw this happen in Boca Raton when I lived over there in the early years of its growth.

This was a good decision imho, and I hope it sticks for decades to come.

Old 11-25-2022, 07:34 AM

17,580 posts, read 39,275,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
Once gov't allows development to go vertical, there's no stopping it. They'll keep increasing the heights of structures until Lido Key is destroyed. I saw this happen in Boca Raton when I lived over there in the early years of its growth.

This was a good decision imho, and I hope it sticks for decades to come.
Me too. St. Armand's would be absolutely destroyed. They have already destroyed so much of beautiful Sarasota with overbuilding and removing so many historical structures. And still it continues with lots more huge massive buildings coming downtown.....

Old 11-25-2022, 09:55 AM

That's what happens when east coasters/NYers, Chicago "near northers"/miracle milers move in to the Florida Coast - more "high density", vertical structures, more "new urban" same ole, same ole, familiar (to them) living and genre of development, mode of living, and more "concrete" for that *desirable* City-Centre-Like living and environment. They ruin their own living environment, then come to the South and attempt to re-establish/duplicate the same kind of stressful, high-density chit - all, of course, in the name of "enlightenment" and so-called "upscale" living.

That crap is not for everywhere much to their chagrin, and it's certainly NOT for St. Armand. That would be a death knell of what it offers.

Locals and natives know better....but the newcomer knowitall chumps want to superimpose their ideas of "progress" and a desirable place to live.....wrong, s crew them and some of these ideas for our future and safety.

And that's right...these same klowns ruined Boca years ago. Go home, and stay there to make your own cities and towns better and more safe, secure, Crime free and "livable"....and "walkable" LOL

Old 11-25-2022, 10:47 AM

17,522 posts, read 22,286,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RidgeCrossing View Post
That's what happens when east coasters/NYers, Chicago "near northers"/miracle milers move in to the Florida Coast - more "high density", vertical structures, more "new urban" same ole, same ole, familiar (to them) living and genre of development, mode of living, and more "concrete" for that *desirable* City-Centre-Like living and environment. They ruin their own living environment, then come to the South and attempt to re-establish/duplicate the same kind of stressful, high-density chit - all, of course, in the name of "enlightenment" and so-called "upscale" living.

That crap is not for everywhere much to their chagrin, and it's certainly NOT for St. Armand. That would be a death knell of what it offers.

Locals and natives know better....but the newcomer knowitall chumps want to superimpose their ideas of "progress" and a desirable place to live.....wrong, s crew them and some of these ideas for our future and safety.

And that's right...these same klowns ruined Boca years ago. Go home, and stay there to make your own cities and towns better and more safe, secure, Crime free and "livable"....and "walkable" LOL
Well keep in mind these FL cities have cheap real estate (compared to other markets)............so buy it and go vertical and suddenly you get a monster rate of return per square foot.

I lived in Boca for 17 years, so I have seen the area get ruined. Palmetto and Federal is a joke, the only thing you recognize today is the Flanigans bar........because it hasn't been torn down ("YET").

Only part you are missing? The good ole locals will certainly take the cash if enough is waved in their face!

The cities/towns love the overbuilding, it fattens their tax budgets nicely.

Old 11-25-2022, 01:48 PM

26,057 posts, read 13,067,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
Well keep in mind these FL cities have cheap real estate (compared to other markets)............so buy it and go vertical and suddenly you get a monster rate of return per square foot.

I lived in Boca for 17 years, so I have seen the area get ruined. Palmetto and Federal is a joke, the only thing you recognize today is the Flanigans bar........because it hasn't been torn down ("YET").

Only part you are missing? The good ole locals will certainly take the cash if enough is waved in their face!

The cities/towns love the overbuilding, it fattens their tax budgets nicely.
Anything above 3 stories will get nailed by the new HOA cement inspections & remediation costs. I lived in Boca for 5 years, & saw it go vertical...it was awful. I'm sure that is what we have coming here, but glad to see Lido Key is fighting it back for now. Eventually, the combo of wealthy developers and greedy politicians will doom us all.

Old 11-26-2022, 03:09 PM

60 posts, read 63,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
Anything above 3 stories will get nailed by the new HOA cement inspections & remediation costs. I lived in Boca for 5 years, & saw it go vertical...it was awful. I'm sure that is what we have coming here, but glad to see Lido Key is fighting it back for now. Eventually, the combo of wealthy developers and greedy politicians will doom us all.
Out of curiousity, what happens? What was awful?

I don't live in a high rise -more of a townhouse person- and I don't really like them myself, but I am curious to know what happens when this kind of shift occurs. Is it traffic? Different types of residents? Etc.?

Old 11-27-2022, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yukenbo View Post
Out of curiousity, what happens? What was awful?

I don't live in a high rise -more of a townhouse person- and I don't really like them myself, but I am curious to know what happens when this kind of shift occurs. Is it traffic? Different types of residents? Etc.?

Yes..things like

Traffic
Noise/crowding
Demand on water/sewer
Police/fire services...need highrise appliances

Zero-setbacks
Blocking sunlight
Blocking views
Creating "heat islands" (too much concrete/steel)

Creating health contagions by close proximities
Concentrated air pollutants
Close-in crime spreading (opportunity "rich")
Nosy neighbors/Condo boards
High fee environment
Extreme concentrated demand on electrical grid
Nasty people lol

.....and much more !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area