Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2023, 10:18 PM

224 posts, read 186,939 times

Advertisements

Really small measures but at least it's something. I feel like prices will go down with the insane amount of new buildings. How many buildings will they put up because of this bill? Probably not many.

They are building lots of small apartments and modest homes here the only problem is our population going up by 50% in two years even tiny apartments fetch a high price. If the people stop coming with all these new buildings prices would come down.

They could crank it down further and put in small effencies along with the one and two bedrooms.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2023, 08:29 AM

8,034 posts, read 4,631,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wondermint2 View Post
Amid soaring rents, Legislature passes bill to entice developers to build cheaper units

https://floridapolitics.com/archives...cheaper-units/

Responding to spiking rents throughout the state, Florida lawmakers passed a bill aimed at getting developers to build affordable units and landlords to reduce monthly rates.

The bill (SB 102) passed the House by a 103-6 vote. It previously passed the Senate unanimously earlier this month and will next head to Gov. Ron DeSantis’ desk.
This article takes a closer look at the new legislation for FL affordable housing.

Florida has an affordable housing crisis. Will new legislation fix it?

https://www.tampabay.com/news/florid...units-control/

Old 03-26-2023, 10:33 PM

35,676 posts, read 21,030,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
If was a low income worker, I'd pursue long term RV parking communities. I'd buy a nice older RV I'd live in, and park it in a nice RV park as close in as possible. I know of one in Palmer Ranch just off 41. Maybe during season, you move it inland to save $, and drive further to work in your older used Chevy Volt...maybe make extra $'s carpooling..picking up and tranporting co-workers.
Most RV/MH parks are over 55+. Most lower level employees to include cops, teachers, hospitality, county workers and medical are younger with families. The shortage will continue as the rates keep rising. Supposedly Ins. Goes up in June, many already hurting. My son now has his two young adults kids moved back home and he’s moved away from the city into the rural areas. Commute is a pain.
I understand capitalism, but sometimes it’s just greed and hurts the community. (Blackstone). My question - as Fl is a service state- what are all those rich retirees think they going to achieve when there’s no one to cater to their needs. Sarasota Venice to Ellenton is not SFlL where 5/6 people live in an appt or work 2/3 jobs to make it.
My Drs office lost 1 Dr, 2 nurses, the phlebotomist and one nurse practitioner. They are constantly rescheduling my appointment now.
I’m in manatee and they sent out a online survey for affordable housing etc for feedback

Old 03-27-2023, 08:50 AM

I don't really see a big advantage with this "tiny home" village in Tampa Bay. First apparently the home owners do not own the land and lot rent is not cheap. Plus in comparison to the price of buying a new/used mobile home the price doesn't seem all that cheap - (considering mobile homes offer more living space).

Tampa Bay tiny home village offers buyers a ‘piece of heaven.’ What’s the cost?

https://www.tampabay.com/news/real-e...en-whats-cost/

The pint-sized properties range between 240 and 500 square feet. They start at $100,000 and go for as much as $240,000. It’s an additional $625 a month to rent a lot in the village.

“You can live here for much less than the average apartment in Tampa and you actually own it,” said Dan Dobrowolski, founder and CEO of Escape.

He said developments like this provide an economical and environmentally friendly solution to the affordable housing crisis and wondered why local governments weren’t doing more to encourage tiny homes.

Old 03-27-2023, 02:27 PM

Quote:
I don't really see a big advantage with this "tiny home" village in Tampa Bay. First apparently the home owners do not own the land and lot rent is not cheap. Plus in comparison to the price of buying a new/used mobile home the price doesn't seem all that cheap - (considering mobile homes offer more living space).

Tampa Bay tiny home village offers buyers a ‘piece of heaven.’ What’s the cost?

https://www.tampabay.com/news/real-e...en-whats-cost/

The pint-sized properties range between 240 and 500 square feet. They start at $100,000 and go for as much as $240,000. It’s an additional $625 a month to rent a lot in the village.

“You can live here for much less than the average apartment in Tampa and you actually own it,” said Dan Dobrowolski, founder and CEO of Escape.

He said developments like this provide an economical and environmentally friendly solution to the affordable housing crisis and wondered why local governments weren’t doing more to encourage tiny homes.
Ridiculous prices.

Old 04-05-2023, 07:17 AM

Sarasota enters agreement with agent to find land to buy for affordable housing

https://www.heraldtribune.com/story/...e/70028269007/

The city of Sarasota has contracted with Ian Black Real Estate to locate and potentially buy land where affordable housing could then be built, an initiative officials hope will succeed more than earlier efforts.

The City Commission approved the exclusive buyer brokerage agreement that provides Ian Black Real Estate six months to identify suitable properties for affordable housing development that the city could then buy.

Old 04-05-2023, 08:59 AM

25,693 posts, read 12,772,161 times
Quote:
Sarasota enters agreement with agent to find land to buy for affordable housing

https://www.heraldtribune.com/story/...e/70028269007/

The city of Sarasota has contracted with Ian Black Real Estate to locate and potentially buy land where affordable housing could then be built, an initiative officials hope will succeed more than earlier efforts.

The City Commission approved the exclusive buyer brokerage agreement that provides Ian Black Real Estate six months to identify suitable properties for affordable housing development that the city could then buy.
All along North Tamiami Trail North of Van Wezel all the way up to the County line are many old run down hotels/motels that would be great prospects for tear downs, then replace w/ 2 story low-cost apartments.

Its close to the service jobs that exist downtown. I'd love to see that area renewed....its an eyesore.

Old 04-05-2023, 11:32 AM

71 posts, read 65,103 times
I don't know, but the tiny home thingy is stupid AND expensive, doesn't address the root problem.

Old 04-07-2023, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1rainman View Post
Really small measures but at least it's something. I feel like prices will go down with the insane amount of new buildings. How many buildings will they put up because of this bill? Probably not many.

They are building lots of small apartments and modest homes here the only problem is our population going up by 50% in two years even tiny apartments fetch a high price. If the people stop coming with all these new buildings prices would come down.

They could crank it down further and put in small effencies along with the one and two bedrooms.
We need affordable housing for young families- the Work Force !! They can’t afford to live and work here anymore.

Old 04-07-2023, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beach48urs View Post
I don't know, but the tiny home thingy is stupid AND expensive, doesn't address the root problem.
Hope the Governor is proud. ( pfft)

Florida Homelessness continues to grow according to new data released
Economist say the lack of affordable housing is the primary factor leading to homelessness here in the SunShine State, This as most people who become homeless in Florida have extremely low incomes making it difficult to maintain rental housing.

https://mycbs4.com/news/local/florid...-data-released

The Tampa-St. Petersburg metropolitan area has the highest rate of homelessness in the nation, according to the National Alliance to End Homelessness in a report issued earlier this year - 57 homeless for every 10,000 residents." This area has approximately 16,000 homeless, and about one-fifth of them are children.
https://www.huduser.gov/portal/pdred..._082712_1.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area