Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2023, 05:53 AM

224 posts, read 188,977 times

Advertisements

So I was struggling with low wages and applied for these benefits my neighbors got. No food stamps cuz I have a job and not on disability. No reduced rent because I'm not a recovering drug addict or felon. No habitat for humanity house because I need to have kids that I can't support. No help with a better job because I'm not a minority and so on. I wish I had it in me to commit crimes and be a drug addict and pop out kids I can't support because my life would have been a lot easier but I couldn't do it. Stupid me following all the rules and working for a living.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2023, 03:03 PM

3,835 posts, read 3,372,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1rainman View Post
So I was struggling with low wages and applied for these benefits my neighbors got. No food stamps cuz I have a job and not on disability. No reduced rent because I'm not a recovering drug addict or felon. No habitat for humanity house because I need to have kids that I can't support. No help with a better job because I'm not a minority and so on. I wish I had it in me to commit crimes and be a drug addict and pop out kids I can't support because my life would have been a lot easier but I couldn't do it. Stupid me following all the rules and working for a living.
Same with the FEMA $700. We didn't get it even though I followed the directions. I mean, not much money at all but I pay taxes and such and got denied. It's just the point. Seems all the big businesses got the most handouts after Ian.

Same with the Covid scam. The PPP BS most went to large corps. That was another BS program and waste. Should have never been a lockdown in the first place.

Old 04-21-2023, 10:29 AM

9,131 posts, read 4,808,102 times
Well this is an interesting proposal for FL renters that has various opinions on both sides.

Bill That Could Lead to Monthly Renter Fees Passes in Florida House

https://news.google.com/articles/CBM...S&ceid=US%3Aen

In an issue shadowed by soaring rental costs across the state, the House on Thursday passed a heavily debated bill that could lead to landlords collecting monthly fees instead of security deposits from renters.

The House voted 89-22 to approve the bill (HB 133), which supporters said would provide an option to help renters get into apartments without having to come up with potentially thousands of dollars in upfront money.

But opponents said the fees would not be capped and that renters wouldn’t be able to eventually recoup the money like they might with security deposits.

Under the bill, landlords would be able to offer the option of paying monthly fees instead of security deposits, though landlords would not be required to do so. Renters would decide whether to pay the fees or deposits. Also, renters who choose fees could subsequently decide to pay security deposits and end the fees.

Based on other areas where fees are used, Mooney said a renter would pay an average $25 monthly fee on a $1,500-a-month lease. Landlords could use the money to buy a type of insurance that would help pay for damage to units.

A similar Senate bill (SB 494) was approved Wednesday by the Rules Committee and is ready to go to the full Senate.

Old 04-21-2023, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wondermint2 View Post
Well this is an interesting proposal for FL renters that has various opinions on both sides.

Bill That Could Lead to Monthly Renter Fees Passes in Florida House

In an issue shadowed by soaring rental costs across the state, the House on Thursday passed a heavily debated bill that could lead to landlords collecting monthly fees instead of security deposits from renters.

The House voted 89-22 to approve the bill (HB 133), which supporters said would provide an option to help renters get into apartments without having to come up with potentially thousands of dollars in upfront money.

But opponents said the fees would not be capped and that renters wouldn’t be able to eventually recoup the money like they might with security deposits.

Under the bill, landlords would be able to offer the option of paying monthly fees instead of security deposits, though landlords would not be required to do so. Renters would decide whether to pay the fees or deposits. Also, renters who choose fees could subsequently decide to pay security deposits and end the fees.

Based on other areas where fees are used, Mooney said a renter would pay an average $25 monthly fee on a $1,500-a-month lease. Landlords could use the money to buy a type of insurance that would help pay for damage to units.

A similar Senate bill (SB 494) was approved Wednesday by the Rules Committee and is ready to go to the full Senate.
Don't they already have fees? Last time I rented a POS apartment here in FL year back they had pet fee, cleaning fee, "valet" garbage fee, pest control fee, etc! Add them all up and cheaper to have an house payment!

Renting is okay for short term like if you just moved somewhere and looking for a house, but not for a couple years. Cost more than a house payment and money down the drain.

Old 04-21-2023, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOforthewin View Post
Don't they already have fees? Last time I rented a POS apartment here in FL year back they had pet fee, cleaning fee, "valet" garbage fee, pest control fee, etc! Add them all up and cheaper to have an house payment!

Renting is okay for short term like if you just moved somewhere and looking for a house, but not for a couple years. Cost more than a house payment and money down the drain.
This could be a better option to the fees proposed in the new FL bill:

"Before passing the bill, the House approved an amendment that would allow landlords and renters to agree on installment plans to pay security deposits."

The problem is there could be quite a few landlords not willing to accept the security deposit through installment payments. Either way the idea is to give another option for low to moderate income folks that have trouble coming up with a big security deposit.

Old 04-26-2023, 04:40 PM

Tenant bill of rights ordinances in FL on the verge of elimination

https://floridaphoenix.com/2023/04/2...a-legislature/

As rent costs rise dramatically in Florida, dozens of cities and counties have been passing ordinances — often called tenant “bill of rights” — to give some protections to renters. But the Legislature is now looking to eliminate those ordinances.

In fact, the Florida House is one vote away from repealing all of those ordinances, from Miami, Miami-Dade and Tampa to Orange County and dozens more municipalities and counties. The Senate version is also pursuing the legislation.

The measure (HB 1417 ) would take away local control of the regulation of residential rentals and preempt that power to the state — meaning that the ordinances would go away.

Old 04-27-2023, 08:05 AM

26,024 posts, read 13,030,734 times
I'm for HB 1417 to eliminate all rent control laws. Let the free market economy determine rent prices. Gov't manipulating markets, always has unintended consequences.

If people can't afford rental pricing where they are in Florida, they'll need to move...or not come here at all.

Renters get priced out of areas all the time, so this is nothing new. I can't afford the Hamptons, Manhattan, San Fran, Fisher Island, Jupiter Island, or Singer Island, or South Beach in Miami, so here I am in Southern Sarasota County; making the best of things.

Old 04-27-2023, 04:30 PM

224 posts, read 188,977 times
I never understood why everyone moves to the same area in southwest Florida. Even the same parts along us 41. Then I learned about all the discount flights, billboards, radio ads, t. Ads and so on saying vacation in Florida, move to Sarasota.

So they have artificially caused the area to grow. Sucks for people who lived here a long time but if you own property sell it and make out like a bandit. It just gets to a point where it's necessary to leave.

Old 04-27-2023, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1rainman View Post
I never understood why everyone moves to the same area in southwest Florida. Even the same parts along us 41. Then I learned about all the discount flights, billboards, radio ads, t. Ads and so on saying vacation in Florida, move to Sarasota.

So they have artificially caused the area to grow. Sucks for people who lived here a long time but if you own property sell it and make out like a bandit. It just gets to a point where it's necessary to leave.
True. Most people are gullible and stupid though remember. They're easily swayed in advertising instead of looking at alternatives and making the best choice.

Me? Well I'm a marketers worst nightmare lol. Very conservative, do my research and don't get swayed by stupid impulse buying. I hardly ever buy anything I don't need. All ads do is p*ss me off when trying to watch a video and they keep interrupting it.

Old 05-07-2023, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wondermint2 View Post
I don't really see a big advantage with this "tiny home" village in Tampa Bay. First apparently the home owners do not own the land and lot rent is not cheap. Plus in comparison to the price of buying a new/used mobile home the price doesn't seem all that cheap - (considering mobile homes offer more living space).

Tampa Bay tiny home village offers buyers a ‘piece of heaven.’ What’s the cost?

https://www.tampabay.com/news/real-e...en-whats-cost/

The pint-sized properties range between 240 and 500 square feet. They start at $100,000 and go for as much as $240,000. It’s an additional $625 a month to rent a lot in the village.

“You can live here for much less than the average apartment in Tampa and you actually own it,” said Dan Dobrowolski, founder and CEO of Escape.

He said developments like this provide an economical and environmentally friendly solution to the affordable housing crisis and wondered why local governments weren’t doing more to encourage tiny homes.
Well I must admit the photos of this tiny home village in Tampa are rather impressive. Still if I was going to go the tiny home route I would prefer to purchase my own plot of land and build my own tiny home.

400-Square-Foot Tiny Homes Start at $100K in This Florida Community

The company opened its first tiny home village in Tampa Bay, Florida, in 2021, and now, it’s opened a second. The Oaks, as its known, is in essence a shrunken-down neighborhood set on three-and-a-half acres. Homes are positioned a football toss away from each other, with driveways and small landscaped patches creating separation. "Virtually the entire community is green space," says Escape founder Dan Dobrowolski, noting its palm trees, native grasses, and old oaks.

The units, designed by architect Kelly Davis of SALA Architects, are all less than 400 square feet, with the smaller ones starting around $100,000. On top of a mortgage payment—say, a 30-year fixed term at $830 a month after a 20 percent down payment—would-be owners are responsible for a monthly $625 lot rental fee, which covers parking and utilities. Those figures combined beat out the median cost to rent in the Tampa area, which Zillow estimates at $2,286.

There might be a lot of new faces in town, but the village has already attracted long-time Florida locals. After Hurricane Ian destroyed the Fort Myers home of 70-year-old Mark, he started looking for options in nearby Tampa. (Homeowners in the community asked that their last names not be used.) "The style of the homes, plus the beauty of the community made my decision to move here very easy," he says of The Oaks.

"The units were designed to harmonize with the location," says Dan Dobrowolski, founder of Escape.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I've seen many creative ideas for tiny homes. Some come on wheels, some are innovate re-use of what would seem odd to use as the basic structure for a tiny home. Such as a shipping container. Or a school bus. Here is an article about a 2-story storage shed from Home Depot that sells for around $9000 and can be used as the basic structure for a tiny home. (Any owner will stay have to pay to insulate the property and install electricity and water. Another cost to consider is the price for the land you want to rent/buy to keep your tiny home on.)

COME ON IN I found a two-story tiny home at Home Depot for $8,967 – the savings surprise people as the store delivers and builds it

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.the...two-story/amp/

Last edited by wondermint2; 05-07-2023 at 08:59 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area