Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-28-2008, 01:15 PM

414 posts, read 1,245,002 times

Advertisements

Has anyone here on this forum had any experience with home warranties, specifically the company American Home Shield? When I bought the house in Sarasota, this looked like a good idea, but after getting the policy and doing some research on the internet, I am reasonably certain I made a mistake. I understand the internet is a great place for people to complain, and what you read is not always true. However, seeing that the parent company is Servicemaster, which has a rather sour reputation around here, and reading some of the posts on how the finances work in this warranty business, I am leaning toward giving credence to what I read.
Thank you for your time.

Last edited by smiledoc1; 05-28-2008 at 01:25 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2008, 02:28 PM

17,533 posts, read 39,105,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smiledoc1 View Post
Has anyone here on this forum had any experience with home warranties, specifically the company American Home Shield? When I bought the house in Sarasota, this looked like a good idea, but after getting the policy and doing some research on the internet, I am reasonably certain I made a mistake. I understand the internet is a great place for people to complain, and what you read is not always true. However, seeing that the parent company is Servicemaster, which has a rather sour reputation around here, and reading some of the posts on how the finances work in this warranty business, I am leaning toward giving credence to what I read.
Thank you for your time.
Hi smiledoc, I have purchased two homes with this warranty and have never used it. However, my really excellent realtor who sold us our house here in Lakeland is a HUGE believer in this warranty, and she claims she has used it several times. So, I don't know, to me I don't bother with it myself, although I am offering it on my listing in Asheville; because it seems to be a good selling tool - gives folks some security I guess.

Old 05-28-2008, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
Hi smiledoc, I have purchased two homes with this warranty and have never used it. However, my really excellent realtor who sold us our house here in Lakeland is a HUGE believer in this warranty, and she claims she has used it several times. So, I don't know, to me I don't bother with it myself, although I am offering it on my listing in Asheville; because it seems to be a good selling tool - gives folks some security I guess.
Hi Gypsychic,
The problems arise when you have to use the warranty. Here is just one posting. There are hundreds more just like it.

>>>>Anna of Union City CA (03/12/08)
I am a Real estate agent and I have been referring AHS to so many of my clients. My clients used to complain about AHS every time, but I always gave benefit of doubt to AHS as I thought every company has their share of unhappy complaints. But when it struck me personally, I understood how bad their service was.
First, I had their service for all my rental properties. And every time I called them for a problem, they denied the service either on grounds of lack of maintanenance or abnormal wear and tear. How do you define abnormal wear and tear and lack of maintenance? The faucet of my bathroom went bad and AHS denied to repair. I asked for second opinion and paid out of my pocket and the second plumber could repair it in 10 minutes. All their contractor vendors are below par.
Second, recently I had a problem with A/C unit. The service technician reported that there was lack of maintenance and therefore has to be replaced and cannot be covered under AHS. I wanted to get a second opinion, but they don't have any preferred vendor other than this guy in that area. So I paid separately to another vendor and he said that A/C unit is perfectly fine except that there is a leak that has to be fixed. AHS does not want to pay for the repairs, all they can do is lift the exclusion on A/C for future repairs. All in all, pathetic company and service. So avoid it totally. So which Home warranty is a better one then? I don't know, I am still trying different ones and post my feedback on this website.
$2500 to replace the A/C unit. <<

Old 05-28-2008, 03:24 PM

8,189 posts, read 31,226,172 times
I am renting right now, but have had AHS policies on the last 2 houses I owned. I will never own a house without this policy. Over the years I had a hot water heater, dishwasher, duct work, and air handler replaced plus several visits from the plumber and from an appliance repairman. The only repair that cost me more than the service fee was the air handler and that was the cost for additional work needed to bring the unit up to code, a whopping $300. There was one contractor that I felt was not competent, and I let AHS know. I could not begin to tell you the $$$ I have saved by having that policy.

Old 05-28-2008, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racelady88 View Post
I am renting right now, but have had AHS policies on the last 2 houses I owned. I will never own a house without this policy. Over the years I had a hot water heater, dishwasher, duct work, and air handler replaced plus several visits from the plumber and from an appliance repairman. The only repair that cost me more than the service fee was the air handler and that was the cost for additional work needed to bring the unit up to code, a whopping $300. There was one contractor that I felt was not competent, and I let AHS know. I could not begin to tell you the $$$ I have saved by having that policy.
Hi Racelady88,
Did you ever feel that AHS was trying to shift the responsibility of the failure of the appliance onto you for "failure to maintain" the appliance? I keep reading stories on how they rip people off: Ripoff Report Search Results: American Home Shield (http://www.ripoffreport.com/searchresults.asp?q1=ALL&q4=&q6=&q3=&q2=&q7=&searc htype=0&submit2=Search!&q5=American+Home+Shield - broken link)

Consumer complaints about American Home Shield

Thanx,
smiledoc1

Old 05-28-2008, 09:15 PM

8,189 posts, read 31,226,172 times
No, I have never gotten that. They have never failed to repair or replace.

When my ductwork started to leak (original 1964 paper ducts) they did want a second estimate for the replacement which took a few days. I would have done the same, faced with such a big $$$ job.

I have never had a bad experience with AHS.

Old 05-29-2008, 05:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racelady88 View Post
No, I have never gotten that. They have never failed to repair or replace.

When my ductwork started to leak (original 1964 paper ducts) they did want a second estimate for the replacement which took a few days. I would have done the same, faced with such a big $$$ job.

I have never had a bad experience with AHS.

Thank you for your response. I appreciate it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area