Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2023, 11:31 PM

5,589 posts, read 8,402,263 times

Advertisements

There's a reason Jersey got rid of its numerous traffic circles. And now here they are, the new fad in Florida!

I'm sorry, drivers shouldn't have to suddenly be expected to know what to do, when to yield, which lane to be in, when they've been driving for 50 years or even five years and "roundabout" training wasn't included in the driving lessons. I can tell you on those stupid little PITA roundabouts on Honore, I didn't realize at first that the cars coming in the opposite direction are sometimes going to be crossing right in front of me and they have the right of way. I just thought I was going around a landscape area in the middle of the road. Yes, there's a "yield" sign but coming upon all that so suddenly, how is the typical driver supposed to figure that out so quickly?

And I had my first experience on the "big one" in downtown Sarasota last week, coming north on 41. Lucky for me, it was rush hour so most traffic was just sitting there in the circle and it was easy to sneak around them to continue north in the proper lane. Would really hate to come into that circle at full speed. And didn't they just do major reconstruction of that intersection a few years ago? So that was a complete waste of money.

Sorry, I think they're a major mistake and I agree they're a boondoggle for the construction companies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2023, 11:22 AM

733 posts, read 760,141 times
"beach48urs" - wow, what a whacko. Pretty much everything said in multiple posts is wrong, wildly distorted opinion, or mainly supported by conspiracy theorists. (The later of which can be disproven or has no real data to support.)

Please people, don't confuse this new wannabe user with the long-term user we've had here, beach43ofus.

Old 04-12-2023, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon08 View Post
There's a reason Jersey got rid of its numerous traffic circles. And now here they are, the new fad in Florida!

I'm sorry, drivers shouldn't have to suddenly be expected to know what to do, when to yield, which lane to be in, when they've been driving for 50 years or even five years and "roundabout" training wasn't included in the driving lessons. I can tell you on those stupid little PITA roundabouts on Honore, I didn't realize at first that the cars coming in the opposite direction are sometimes going to be crossing right in front of me and they have the right of way. I just thought I was going around a landscape area in the middle of the road. Yes, there's a "yield" sign but coming upon all that so suddenly, how is the typical driver supposed to figure that out so quickly?

And I had my first experience on the "big one" in downtown Sarasota last week, coming north on 41. Lucky for me, it was rush hour so most traffic was just sitting there in the circle and it was easy to sneak around them to continue north in the proper lane. Would really hate to come into that circle at full speed. And didn't they just do major reconstruction of that intersection a few years ago? So that was a complete waste of money.

Sorry, I think they're a major mistake and I agree they're a boondoggle for the construction companies.
Jersey got rid of traffic circles, and converted them to roundabouts. What we have in Sarasota county are roundabouts, not traffic circles. In summary - everyone is going with roundabouts, because they are great for overall traffic flow.

Those Honore circles are indeed kind of a pain. But traffic flows way better than having a 4-way stop sign every 3 blocks.

So yes, drivers need to know how to handle a roundabout, they need to know how to yield. Heaven forbid, a driver might be required to learn something new after getting their driver's license at age 18.

How is a driver supposed to figure it out? Educate yourself; there are many online videos demonstrating how roundabout traffic is supposed to work, how you are supposed to handle it. Be patient, be kind, follow the road signs. It's all good.

Old 04-12-2023, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattMN View Post
"beach48urs" - wow, what a whacko. Pretty much everything said in multiple posts is wrong, wildly distorted opinion, or mainly supported by conspiracy theorists. (The later of which can be disproven or has no real data to support.)
Actually I will revise my statement. This part is pretty good advice:

Quote:
Originally Posted by beach48urs View Post
the use is simple : merge safety when you can, don't frekin STOP in the traffic circle ! STAY in your own lane (if divided), KNOW WHERE YOU'RE going to exit the circle, LOOK AROUND and GO !! PUT YOU DAMN PHONE AWAY

Old 04-12-2023, 12:51 PM

3,433 posts, read 2,401,655 times
We have a bunch of roundabouts here at The Villages (in central FL). We're an enormous 55+ community (over 35 square miles total size, over 70 square miles of golf cart and multi-modal paths, around 150,000 people during snowbird season). Most of our roundabouts are two lanes, there the inside lane has to take the second or third exit, and the outside lane must take the first or second exit. Exits (with few exceptions) also have two lanes, so everyone can remain in "their" lane without having to merge.

It is confusing and scary at first but eventually you get used to it, and it turns out to be pretty efficient.

Most of the car accidents around here happen on the main roads and /not/ in or near the roundabouts.

Old 04-13-2023, 05:59 AM

1,414 posts, read 750,845 times
I was against them at first, but am now a total convert. They are WAY faster than a 4-way stop and if you can see ahead that you'll have the circle to yourself, also WAY more fun.

Old 04-13-2023, 06:51 AM

562 posts, read 550,551 times
The roundabouts are an improvement, some people are just against change. This feel like an "OK Boomer" conversation... If you do not have enough intelligence to know/learn how to use one, stop driving or buy a Tesla.

Old 04-13-2023, 09:42 AM

5,425 posts, read 3,487,302 times
What is the difference between a roundabout and a traffic circle? Traffic circles are much larger than a roundabout and often have stop signs or signals within the circular intersection. Roundabouts are smaller and vehicles have to yield before entering.

Old 04-14-2023, 01:20 AM

60 posts, read 62,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon08 View Post

Agreed. I grew up in South Jersey. They used to have a lot of circles -which I hated- and ripped them out. Big improvement.

Old 04-14-2023, 06:03 AM

25,724 posts, read 12,793,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattMN View Post

Please people, don't confuse this new wannabe user with the long-term user we've had here, beach43ofus.
Thx Matt. I tried to get that user name revoked, but the moderator chose not to do so. Many will confuse my posts with theirs...frustrating, but nothing I can do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area