Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2023, 06:44 AM

8,264 posts, read 4,666,091 times

Advertisements

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/real...45a0766e&ei=36

Less than two months after approving thousands of homes in East Manatee, county officials this week cleared the way for a second large residential community outside of the development boundary line.

East River Ranch will become Manatee County's latest eastern expansion, adding another 5,378 homes, a charter school and a fire station just south of State Road 64 and west of County Road 675. Taylor Ranch, a 4,500-home expansion of Lakewood Ranch, was approved next door in March.

The Future Development Area Boundary (FDAB) line runs north-south and is roughly parallel with the western edge of Lake Manatee. The line, which has shifted further east over the years, is meant to limit urban sprawl and preserve agricultural lands out east.

But Schroeder-Manatee Ranch, the company behind Lakewood Ranch, sought a change to the county's Comprehensive Plan allowing large developments to go beyond the FDAB line. That change also opened the door for East River Ranch.

Developer Carlos Beruff's Medallion Home development company worked closely with SMR in the months ahead of Wednesday's public land use meeting.

"As you know, this area of the county is largely built out to the FDAB line, which is what necessitated the county's decision to amend the Comprehensive Plan," said Scott Rudacille, a land use attorney representing Beruff.

"The applicant has coordinated with Taylor Ranch to ensure that thoroughfare roads and utilities would be connected, bringing infrastructure to this area at a significant savings to the county."

East River Ranch development plans 5,300 homes

Because the west side of Taylor Ranch borders the FDAB and East River Ranch shares a border with Taylor Ranch, both projects are legal under the county's recently updated Comprehensive Plan.

Following a three-hour hearing, board members voted to rezone the land and approve a general development plan for East River Ranch, which is also set to include 900,000 square feet of commercial, 300,000 square feet of office space and 300,000 square feet of self-storage.

Despite having about 1,000 fewer acres than Taylor Ranch, East River Ranch plans to build more housing units than the community next door.

"This is high-intensity development," said Commissioner George Kruse, who cast the only vote against the project based on concerns about the proposed density and traffic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2023, 09:33 AM

25,737 posts, read 12,815,111 times
High-density destroys areas for everyone...except those who profit off of it. Shame on the County Commissioners that approved it. These areas will become traffic gridlock, & urban sprawl blight....yuck.

SW FLA will wind up looking as bad as SE FLA...so sad.

Old 05-26-2023, 10:11 AM

3,833 posts, read 3,342,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
High-density destroys areas for everyone...except those who profit off of it. Shame on the County Commissioners that approved it. These areas will become traffic gridlock, & urban sprawl blight....yuck.

SW FLA will wind up looking as bad as SE FLA...so sad.
Agree 100 percent! Apartments, overpriced slop cookie cutter homes.

Old 05-26-2023, 10:37 AM

17,534 posts, read 39,131,539 times
I anticipate serious problems for SW FL in the future. Not enough water or infrastructure, sinkholes from overpumping, traffic gridlock, loss of land for agriculture to name a few. So glad we got out of that mess. I know eventually it will creep here to my area in central Florida (it already is) but hoping it will take awhile and that there will be better planning. Our commissioners here aren't much better than those down there. Everyone just wants a quick buck, don't care about nature, wildlife, historical structures, etc. etc.

Old 05-26-2023, 11:43 AM

4,615 posts, read 7,539,060 times
The Bradenton Motorsports Park has been there since 1974. How long do you think it will stay in business once a bunch of those new home owners start complaining about the noise from the drag strip and car races?

I know, the developer claims to have addressed the potential noise issue but I don't believe things will work out the way they claim. Those race cars are loud -- which is why the racetrack was built way out in the country in the first place.

Old 05-26-2023, 11:56 AM

Every area has a sweet spot, which is an areas best years before it gets ruined by gov't & developers. I think our forum area will apex in 5 years, then start to slowly decline, due to cost & overcrowding. My objective is to get out, before most others see it.

We've been back in FLA for 7 years now. I don't know how much longer we'll stay, but I'm beginning to see the end in sight for us; in this area anyways. If I had to guess, I'd say 3-4 more years.

We may consider the barrier island off Vero Beach, (32963) if their building controls are still standing up to legal challenges. Plan "B" is coastal SC.

I don't mind population growth if done well, but it is seldom done well. High density = unfettered greed ...imho.

Old 05-26-2023, 03:24 PM

3,833 posts, read 3,342,083 times
Quote:
Every area has a sweet spot, which is an areas best years before it gets ruined by gov't & developers. I think our forum area will apex in 5 years, then start to slowly decline, due to cost & overcrowding. My objective is to get out, before most others see it.

We've been back in FLA for 7 years now. I don't know how much longer we'll stay, but I'm beginning to see the end in sight for us; in this area anyways. If I had to guess, I'd say 3-4 more years.

We may consider the barrier island off Vero Beach, (32963) if their building controls are still standing up to legal challenges. Plan "B" is coastal SC.

I don't mind population growth if done well, but it is seldom done well. High density = unfettered greed ...imho.
I really do see a huge problem if we get another major hurricane here depending on the area that's hit. Worst case is a Dorian at peak intensity into southeast FL or Irma into Southeast FL. Remember Irma many thought was going to be a cat5 into SEFL. Instead it was a weakening storm into SWFL.

You see Ian the strongest winds in Ian were over Boca Grande, Sanibel and Charlotte and Southern Sarasota counties. Most of the houses here in Charlotte County were built better after Charley. Even Ft. Myers Beach didn't get the strongest winds, just the strongest surge. IF we really get a legit, 160mph storm into Naples on up to Sarasota that will be a disaster with the wind damage.

A storm into Tampa or Miami as a cat4 will put FL into a depression I think. Total insurance collapse and if you tampa and SEFL out you lose a huge chunk of the economy.

Had Dorian stalled over Ft. Lauderdale as a 180mph the carnage would have been unthinkable.

I agree about the greed too. Most of the people moving here are from places like NYC, Boston, Chicago. I guess they're used to high density! I myself am from Missouri and hate it!

Old 05-27-2023, 01:15 PM

1,424 posts, read 1,282,844 times
Quote:

Whoa! What's this?
You're considering leaving "Free" Florida, Florida rules?!? You've been one of the biggest sunshine pumpers around.
What happened??

Old 05-27-2023, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lluvia View Post
Whoa! What's this?
You're considering leaving "Free" Florida, Florida rules?!? You've been one of the biggest sunshine pumpers around.
What happened??
FLA does rule, and its the best state I've ever lived in. I've lived in FLA longer than any other state.

That having been said, I tend to move every 8-10 years so I can experience the sweet spot in time for each place. Every place has a lifecycle that eventually apexes, then declines. I've seen many people stay too long in places after they apex...even friends & family members.

I'm an expert at knowing when to leave, to best suit my own needs and wants.

I saw SE Florida apex, & I got out at the right time...my best friend remained...poor choice. He just told me the noise pollution of trains, planes, cars w/ loud mufflers, and sirens are driving him nuts. He's right off a busy I-95 exit in Boca Raton near the airport.

This area will apex in ~5 years, then slowly begin its decline. I might try 32963 in FLA next, or I might leave for SC. I'm not sure yet.

What happened? Its not any 1 thing, its lots of small things combined. Most are driven by population density, & changing values of newcomers who alter the quality of life...& local gov't.

I have a Sixth sense...I see dead places where their residents don't know the place they call home are dead.

Old 05-27-2023, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lluvia View Post
Whoa! What's this?
What happened??
FLA does rule, and its the best state I've ever lived in. I've lived in FLA longer than any other state.

That having been said, I tend to move every 8-10 years so I can experience the sweet spot in time for each place. Every place has a lifecycle that eventually apexes, then declines. I've seen many people stay too long in places after they apex...even friends & family members.

I'm an expert at knowing when to leave, to best suit my own needs and wants.

I saw SE Florida apex, & I got out at the right time...my best friend remained...poor choice. He just told me the noise pollution of trains, planes, cars w/ loud mufflers, and sirens are driving him nuts. He's right off a busy I-95 exit in Boca Raton near the airport.

This area will apex in ~5 years, then slowly begin its decline. I might try 32963 in FLA next, or I might leave for SC. I'm not sure yet.

What happened? Its not any 1 thing, its lots of small things combined. Most are driven by population density, & changing values of newcomers who alter the quality of life...& local gov't.

I have a Sixth sense...I see dead places where their residents don't know the place they call home are dead.

Places I left (or my family left, & took me with them):
-Brooklyn, ~5 yrs after the Dodgers left
-Detroit, after the auto industry imploded
-St. Louis, after Budweiser sold out to a foreign company, & the Riverfront area became too dangerous
-Boca Raton, after the airport began letting jets take off and land there
-Atlanta, after Buckhead became too dangerous to visit after dark, they lost their hockey & baseball teams
-St. Pete when they put parking meters all along pass-a-grill beach, & the Cardinals moved Spring training
-Bradenton, when I heard of a thing called Lakewood Ranch was coming
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area