Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-26-2023, 08:03 AM

8,342 posts, read 4,676,549 times

Advertisements

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/real...f76da239&ei=46

Mixon Fruit Farms may be closing its doors, but one of Manatee County's most famous attractions could live on for years to come.

As the family transitions away from agriculture after over 80 years in the business, the Mixons are entertaining the idea of selling the park to Manatee County officials as part of a voter-approved effort to preserve environmental land.

The Manatee Board of County Commissioners has signaled its interest in acquiring the 39-acre property at 2525 27th St. E., Bradenton, to create a stormwater park, which is expected to reduce flooding in the surrounding area.

Early design plans call for about half of the property to become stormwater ponds while preserving key features, such as the wedding venue, playgrounds and tram rides. The park could also be used for bird watching and educational field trips, according to county staff.

Owners Janet and Dean Mixon announced in October that they plan to sell their business, citing worker shortages and issues with the crops.

"We're concerned with the legacy that we pass," Dean Mixon said. "We would like to see it used for educational purposes and families. That's been at the top of our list from the beginning."

"There's hardly anybody in town that doesn't have some kind of memory at Mixon Farms. Our dream would be to continue that to make it something that your children and grandchildren can keep coming," Janet Mixon added.

After presentations from county staff tasked with suggesting environmental preservation opportunities, local officials say they're interested in moving forward with the government acquisition. If approved, the property would be purchased as part of the 2020 environmental lands referendum that 71% of Manatee County voters supported.

On Wednesday, county staff made a similar presentation to the Bradenton City Council, which has been suggested as a potential funding partner. Grant opportunities are also being explored to help cover the projected $15 million cost of the land.

The Board of County Commissioners voted unanimously to continue researching the Mixon property for future purchase consideration. A final decision on whether to buy the land could come later this year, but the farm would not become county-owned until late 2024.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2023, 08:37 AM

Mixon Fruit Farm Owners One Step Closer To Opening Food Truck

https://www.msn.com/en-us/foodanddri...d943e5c8&ei=39

While Mixon Fruit Farms will close for good this summer after 84 years in business, its owners plan to remain active in the community by opening a Mixon food truck.

Now, Dean and Janet Mixon are one step closer to making the food truck a reality. The couple has purchased a food trailer from Orlando's One Fat Frog, one of the largest food truck and trailer dealers in the U.S.

"It's official! Mixon's may be closing but Dean and Janet Mixon are taking Mixon Fruit Farms on the road," the farm's staff wrote in a Facebook post. "Thank you to Mario and his team at One Fat Frog Foodtrucks (sic) for helping make Janet's Foodtruck (sic) Dream come true!"

They expect to have the truck by October.

The couple put the iconic citrus farm at 2525 27th Street E. in Bradenton on the market for $15.8 million in February.

Mixon's store and other areas open to the public will close for good July 29, while the farm will remain open for the event rentals it has currently booked through January 2024, they said.

Janet told Patch in February that she hoped to launch a Mixon food truck serving all the favorites from the farm café’s menu.

“At least the ice cream, the pressed Cuban, the grilled cheese. Our most popular items,” she said. “People keep asking me, ‘What about the ice cream? Where can I get the ice cream?’”

This food truck will help her stay connected with her longtime customers and Mixon’s legacy.

Old 05-29-2023, 10:30 AM

224 posts, read 187,646 times
$400,000 an acre? I can't wait for the real estate market to collapse in Florida

Old 05-29-2023, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wondermint2 View Post
Mixon Fruit Farm Owners One Step Closer To Opening Food Truck

https://www.msn.com/en-us/foodanddri...d943e5c8&ei=39

While Mixon Fruit Farms will close for good this summer after 84 years in business, its owners plan to remain active in the community by opening a Mixon food truck.

Now, Dean and Janet Mixon are one step closer to making the food truck a reality. The couple has purchased a food trailer from Orlando's One Fat Frog, one of the largest food truck and trailer dealers in the U.S.

"It's official! Mixon's may be closing but Dean and Janet Mixon are taking Mixon Fruit Farms on the road," the farm's staff wrote in a Facebook post. "Thank you to Mario and his team at One Fat Frog Foodtrucks (sic) for helping make Janet's Foodtruck (sic) Dream come true!"

They expect to have the truck by October.

The couple put the iconic citrus farm at 2525 27th Street E. in Bradenton on the market for $15.8 million in February.

Mixon's store and other areas open to the public will close for good July 29, while the farm will remain open for the event rentals it has currently booked through January 2024, they said.

Janet told Patch in February that she hoped to launch a Mixon food truck serving all the favorites from the farm café’s menu.

“At least the ice cream, the pressed Cuban, the grilled cheese. Our most popular items,” she said. “People keep asking me, ‘What about the ice cream? Where can I get the ice cream?’”

This food truck will help her stay connected with her longtime customers and Mixon’s legacy.
Food trucks can be great - and I'm thinking the Mixon Farms food truck will be excellent. There are some entertaining shows on The Food Network centered around food trucks. Some of the recipes are very original and creative.

Old 07-26-2023, 06:29 AM

Bradenton's famous Mixon Fruit Farms is closing for good this week after 84 years

For full article:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/mark...cade64a6&ei=16

After 84 years, one of Bradenton's most well-known attractions will close its doors for good this week.

Mixon Fruit Farms started as a fruit stand in 1939, and its last day of business will be Saturday, July 29.

But owners Dean and Janet Mixon hope the memories will live on for the generations of Manatee County residents who visited.

This week, employees gathered for a goodbye photo and the Mixons prepared for the next stage of their business's legacy — a food truck with their famous soft-serve ice cream.

Upholding that legacy was a challenge Dean Mixon started to take on as a child.

"I came along and as soon as I could reach the pedals of the tractor, I was working in it and doing whatever I could. I've worked in it all my life," he said.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area