Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2023, 01:53 PM

8,064 posts, read 4,639,344 times

Advertisements

Interesting that Sarasota restaurant Der Dutchman was named the No. 1 buffet in the country in USA Today’s 10 Best rankings for 2023.

For the full list of restaurant news for our area:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/travel/tri...a016634c&ei=75

"Here's the latest restaurant and bar news in Sarasota and Manatee counties"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2023, 03:04 PM

25,701 posts, read 12,779,845 times
Pop quiz:

Can anyone name this forum areas restaurant that made the Wall Street Journal's top 100 independently-owned list in 2022?

Old 06-01-2023, 05:14 PM

4,788 posts, read 10,605,228 times
My guess is Sharkey's...
I read WSJ everyday, but my mems are fading. Just a guess.

Old 06-02-2023, 04:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by motordavid View Post
My guess is Sharkey's...
Well played....our judges have decided your answer is correct! Actually Fins at Sharkey's is one of the top 100 grossing independently-owned restaurants in America. I think they ranked 12th. I suppose they combined the revenues from both establishments since they owned by the same family, & they are on the same property.

I wish I was your neighbor so I could get your 1 day old Wall Street Journals. I'm too frugal to pay for a subscription. I just happened to be at the library picking up books, & each time I'm there, I read the WSJ, & some local newspapers, & just happened to see that article by chance. I was surprised because it not that large of a place.

Joe's Stone Crabs in Miami was #2 if I recall. That is a much larger place than Fins at Sharkeys. Even if they combined Sharkey's and Fins, I think Joe's might still have more seatings.

Old 06-02-2023, 07:17 PM

4,788 posts, read 10,605,228 times
Beach,
I am one of those spendthrift suckers that has a WSJ on line subscription for ~ $400+ a year.

There is no newspaper delivery up here on our Mtn area, though I could sub to the printed version and get it in the mail a couple days post pub'd date. I do waddle down our mtn to the local store and buy the Saturday version, as it is a very good read, cover to cover, over a few days of on and off perusing, though I could also read Sat's on line. I prefer it 'in hand' on Saturday vs the screen...

No restaurant maven, esp in our EscapeWinter situ in Venice area, as we rarely go out to eat, other than at one of our clubhouses, (food minimum), or friends houses, or friends invite us to 'go out to this great restaurant'.

The V/Sarasota area joints are nearly indistinguishable from each other, esp the 'Italian' places, imo. That, and the tin roof room sound levels are v loud; I have exc hearing, but most of our friends do not which produces limited understandable real 'conversation', in my experience.

After ~30 yrs of serious biz travel, domestic and international, 'eating out' has lost most of its attraction for both me and my wife.

Have been to Sharkey's a couple three times, and Fins once. Both are C+/B- to my palate, but other than the blazing sunset 'view', and the exp acct pricing, (esp Fins), they must have something going for them.

Joe's: I stood in line there a few times, with customers, back in the travel days/daze, but would not do that today.

Just a lucky guess, and just my 50Cts from the back bleacher of this peanut gallery.
GL, mD

Old 06-02-2023, 07:19 PM

17,533 posts, read 39,109,818 times
I guess I am in the minority but I have never been a big fan of those Amish restaurants. I can't believe "Der Dutchman" is the "best buffet" in the country....

We have a buffet here in Lakeland (a couple other locations as well) called Fred's Market that IMO is 10 times better.

Old 06-03-2023, 04:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by motordavid View Post
My guess is Sharkey's...
When I'm in Brevard for a month this Summer, I'll pick your garbage for your old WSJ's.

Old 06-03-2023, 04:43 AM

50,342 posts, read 63,918,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
I guess I am in the minority but I have never been a big fan of those Amish restaurants. I can't believe "Der Dutchman" is the "best buffet" in the country....

We have a buffet here in Lakeland (a couple other locations as well) called Fred's Market that IMO is 10 times better.
We went to Der Dutchman while visiting friends in Sarasota. We all had moved from Amish country in Ohio, so there was nothing there that we hadn’t seen before. It does seem to be very well managed and efficiently run, but neither my husband or I enjoy buffets, and if we want “home cooking”, we’ll just stay home.

Old 06-07-2023, 10:07 AM

'Stress-free zone.' Inner Compass Brewing nears Bradenton-area opening after delays

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/st...1c69d0c7&ei=37

Jun. 5—LAKEWOOD RANCH — Inner Compass Brewing Company has had its share of challenges since filing paperwork with Manatee County Building Services two years ago.

The latest came Thursday when construction workers stayed home as part of the Day Without Immigrants protest against Florida's new E-Verify law.

But Susan Carrubba, who with her husband, Rob, and their son, Robert, are opening the new dining destination on 1.6 acres of lakefront property at 10316 Technology Terrace in Lakewood Ranch, is philosophical.

"It's been a process, but we are finally seeing the light at the of the tunnel," she said.

The family is breathing easier these days with plenty of actual construction happening and a certificate of occupancy projected for mid to late August.

"It's going to be so nice, calming and comfortable," Susan said of the 7,500-square-foot facility that will provide craft beer, wine, food, games, entertainment, a beer garden and event room in a lodge-like setting.

The menu will emphasize burgers, pizzas, wings and salads.

Inner Compass will also be family-friendly and dog-friendly, she said.

There will be plenty of seating: 120 in the event room, 25 at the bar, plus seating on a 2,500-square-foot patio, she said.

Old 06-07-2023, 10:12 AM

Mexican curly fries? Fried Oreos? New Bradenton restaurant offers fair food all the time

https://www.msn.com/en-us/foodanddri...3b425752&ei=34

Jun. 7—BRADENTON — Brett Enright, CEO and founder of Juicys Food, a concession business that started in California and serves "Texas-sized" turkey legs, deep-fried Oreos, corn dogs, funnel cakes and other county fair staples, is opening his first brick-and-mortar store in Bradenton.

The new store is going into a former Burger King at 2319 Cortez Road W., and will offer a drive-thru as well as inside dining.

An AutoZone store is next door and a Home Depot is directly across the street.

"Starting as a one-person corn dog stand in 1984, Juicys has grown to be the leader in outdoor dining and special event food concessions, not only in the industry but also in Southern California. Today, Juicys food and beverage annually serves over one million customers in just Southern California," the Juicys website says.

Tuesday, workers were busy with store renovations. Although an opening date has not been announced, the Juicys website says the Bradenton store will be open 10:30 a.m. — 2 a.m. Monday through Sunday.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area