Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-07-2023, 07:23 AM

8,366 posts, read 4,681,309 times

Advertisements

For full article:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/co...2f45d6fb&ei=44

Following a boat collision off the shores of Anna Maria Island on July 30th, concerns about boating on the intercoastal waterways continue to grow.

That crash happened when a 43-foot racing boat with two people on board, collided with a 23-foot bow runner with nine people on board. The crash critically injured a 41-year-old woman.

Charter Captain Kathe Fannon said it’s unbelievable the amount of people out on the water now.

“The volume of boating out here has quadrupled in the, I would say, last seven years,” said Fannon.

Fannon said the intercoastal waterways already aren’t wide enough and now everyone has three to four motors speeding by.

“There’s not really a whole lot of speed limits out here. So, yea, they do go flying by you and it... there’s really no stopping a boat going 60... 70 miles per hour. You don’t just stop that boat,” said Fannon.

Fannon explained there are near misses and crashes on the water every day. She said there needs to be better boater education and regulation.

“We’re on the sandbars standing in the water, you know, just above your knees and we have jet skis flying by us wide open. We could have our dive flags up you know to let people know that people are snorkeling right here, and it makes no difference because they don’t know. They just think that flag literally maybe the country I’m from or something,” said Fannon.

Fannon said another issue involves boating rentals that need to be reevaluated.

“To my knowledge, you know, you go up to anywhere that rents a boat, they ask for identification, a credit card, then pick your boat out and have a great day. So, I think the whole system needs to be looked at over,” said Fannon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2023, 07:30 AM

8,366 posts, read 4,681,309 times
1 hospitalized after 2 boats collide in Sarasota

For full article:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/1-...8e8bb5d5&ei=18

One person is hospitalized after two boats collided in Little Sarasota Bay around 12:30 p.m. on Sunday.

Two boats, carrying two occupants each, were involved in the collision, according to the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission.

Emergency crews said the boaters were operating on plane when the accident occurred, injuring one person.

The 27-year-old woman who was injured was airlifted to a nearby hospital where she is currently receiving treatment.

The investigation is ongoing.

Old 08-07-2023, 08:55 AM

1,519 posts, read 1,217,685 times
The older I get the more I’m for taking away people’s freedoms. I definitely vote conservative but the general population just can’t be trusted. I would maybe backtrack here slightly without deleting my first sentence and say we need to hold people more accountable and enforce much harsher punishments.

For example, get caught speeding 30 mph over the posted speed limit then you automatically get your license suspended for 1 year and serve a mandatory 30 days in jail.

No warning.

I guarantee that law alone would stop 90% of habitual entitled speeders on the road from speeding.

That’s just one example, I know this was about a boating post but my point is people need to face tougher consequences for their bad judgment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area