U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-08-2008, 01:25 PM

128 posts, read 398,097 times

Advertisements

Can anyone advise what the approx. closing costs are when buying a new build property from builder. Is it usual practice to just complete using the builders lawyers etc or do we need to instruct our own legal people.

Urgent reply please if anyone give advice.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2008, 03:00 PM

7,511 posts, read 21,398,905 times
Every deal is different. Sometimes the builder will pay a portion of the closing costs, often they drop the price. They usually like you to use their lender, then the have control over the deal. They don't want you dealing with some fly-by-night company. I don't know the lender or builder that you are using so it's hard for me to comment on that but yes, it is common practice to use their companies:

Let's take a 200K deal:

Title insurance would be $1075 search & exam would be about $200.

Your portion of the taxes depending on the time of year you close. So if it was in the middle of the year you would split it half and half.

Closing fees should be around $250-$350, could be a little more if it’s a lawyer.

Doc stamps on the mortgage, if you mortgage the whole 200K- is $700.

Most all of the other fees would come from your lender and the fees depend on who is doing it- origination fee, etc.

These are the main fees. Anything else would be like a water hookup, garbage, which in many cities is included in the taxes.

Hope this helps and good luck with your purchase!

Old 07-08-2008, 03:21 PM

960 posts, read 1,511,893 times
I would not venture to guess what an average would be for a new home in the area. Some home builders right now are using closing costs as an incentive to buy. As SoFLGal stated, normally builders like buyers to use their lenders. However, it may not be in your best interest to use the builders lender. You probably can get a better rate in most cases if you do some homework. For some added security, its good to have a professional real estate attorney.

Old 07-08-2008, 03:27 PM

6,864 posts, read 10,803,304 times
When applying for a mortgage, you're given a 'good faith estimate of closing costs' form listing everybody and their uncle with their hand out for a piece of the action, who will be there and where. The way the question is written with the comments, seems to me there is no approved mortgage.

Old 07-08-2008, 04:15 PM

128 posts, read 398,097 times
Thanks for replies. We will not be taking a mortgage. It will be a cash purchase. So I dont think there would be extra costs for that. Some of your replies mention tax payment for part of the year. Is this property tax. What else is included in the closing please.

Old 07-08-2008, 04:22 PM

7,511 posts, read 21,398,905 times
Yes, this would be property taxes. They would figure it out to the day you close. The above is an example since we are a little more than half way through the year. Obviously, you would not have any of the lending fees if you are paying cash. Like Carbondated suggested, it would be wise to have an attorney look over the contract. We often use Ernie Sturges, in Port Charlotte, 941-625-6666. If the contract was written by the builder I would assume he would look it over for relatively cheap. Hmmm...cheap and attorney usually don't go in the same sentence. I would say it should not cost you too much.

I don't know of any other fees unless the builder is coming up with something else.

Old 07-08-2008, 06:41 PM

6,864 posts, read 10,803,304 times
Being that it's a new house, the tax will be for the lot only. Six months of a lot tax isn't all that much. Any tax you pay will be for the 6 months the builder doesn't own the lot as a credit to them. Maybe the builders are nice people and will pay the whole year amount. It doesn't hurt to ask them as part of the deal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area