Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2008, 05:19 AM

657 posts, read 1,788,162 times

Advertisements

lol!!! yeah thats me and my thoughts....sorry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2008, 09:38 AM

3 posts, read 6,179 times
thank you. very helpful

yeah we agree - son in Venice and he says not to buy unseen, he believes husband needs to come and see... so thanks for your thoughts

thank you - coming to North Port in person soon

thank you - may need a hairdresser when I get there ( always need one ) but we are quiet - people watching folks ( very rural - country type ) just tired of winters... husband is construction and ready to relax...

Last edited by Keeper; 08-03-2008 at 10:35 AM..

Old 08-03-2008, 09:42 AM

3 posts, read 6,179 times
lessons learn - thank god for e mail and internet - we have gotten a rude awakening - we are not moving to rural IA anymore eh?

Old 08-03-2008, 09:57 PM

164 posts, read 383,230 times
We just moved to North Port from MI. Yes times are tuff everywhere. Wife works ina hospital here because there we no jobs avail. in MI for her

We own a commercial cleaning service & have in MI for many years. I am like the poster in a way, we figured if we had to build the business in a bad economy then would do it without the Snow.

North Port seems nice & Veterans / Tamiami are not far from us which has everything we need.

Old 08-10-2008, 02:10 PM

49 posts, read 94,427 times
Wayne and Randie, I would add my encouragement to you both to physically travel to the area before buying. My wife and I did the internet search thing for a year and a half before we made the trip down last month. There are MANY things that you find out when you are actually there that you would never think about when searching on the internet. Several houses that we were very interested in before our trip turned out to be so close to the interstate that you couldn't hear anything in the backyard except the traffic noises. We mistakenly thought that being close to I-75 would make things more convenient. Perhaps it does, but the constant highways sounds would have driven us batty.

Old 08-17-2008, 01:59 PM

10 posts, read 35,714 times
You forgot to mention the Kid's Chef (or whatever it's called) place next to bisque-it. I know some people who take their kids there and they love it! Told me last night that their kids learned to make sushi last week!!! HA! I wanna learn how to make sushi! Also not mentioned is all the stuff the city puts on throughout the year. The Freedom Festival, Poinsettia Parade, Huge Easter Egg hunt at the George Mullen Center, National Night Out through the PD, the upcoming 50th anniversary (which I actually heard they are going to shut down part of 41 for and I'm wondering about the logistics of that!), parks and recs different leagues and activities for the kids (soccers pretty big for the kids around here).. and the list goes on and on.

BTW, I love Bisque-it!!!!!! So much fun and relaxing to sit and paint... and I'm nearly 30! lol

Anyway I know someone was asking about North Cranberry in one of these threads (maybe not this one IDRemember). I live off North Cranberry (closer to Price) and it's a quiet area... lots of families riding bikes, joggers out on the roads every day, not a lot of traffic unless your right on Cranberry. It's nice area. It's got LaMarque Elementary for a school district which is the newest school. I would totally recommend the area and am very happy here.

OP- Definately come down and see before buying... let us know what you think.

Edited to add that right now I'm already yearning for a good cold front...

Old 04-16-2009, 06:09 AM

4 posts, read 6,677 times
When will the new YMCA be built & where exactly will it be?

Old 04-16-2009, 06:44 AM

7,511 posts, read 22,918,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shony View Post
When will the new YMCA be built & where exactly will it be?
There is currently a YMCA in North Port over off Sam Shapos Way. Charlotte County Family YMCA (http://www.charlottecountyymca.com/branches.cfm?branchid=8 - broken link)

The new YMCA is supposed to be at the corner of Toledo Blade Blvd and Price Blvd:
YMCA an important part of North Port's future growth | HeraldTribune.com | Sarasota Florida | Southwest Florida's Information Leader

Not sure when it's going to be completed. Maybe AnotherDayInParadise has more info on that.

Old 04-26-2009, 12:24 PM

42 posts, read 99,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne and Randie Morrison View Post
need more information on North Port area - we are buying through the internet with realtors we have found - will never get the chance to come and see areas before we buy - any suggestions on (quiet areas are for us. )areas to avoid and should we live on a green belt or near channels? Insurance on property's - anything to give us a heads up
Hi guys, first I sincerely hope you do come down and live here. I came from the southern part of Mass near the CT border 4 plus years ago and have never looked back. Yes, I had to travel a half hour to get to the city and lived in a small town that had a Walmart and not even a grocery store! So living in NP with everything 5 mins away in Port Charlotte is like heaven on earth to me. I still get the country feel that I like as we are spread out over alot of land, yet its so nice to be close to things, esp as gas prices are so unstable. As for comparisons, my taxes are half down here for what I paid up there and I have a pool home. Square footage I am about the same so you can't say I moved into a smaller home. Homeowners ins. is about the same if you have shutters and buy a newer property with a hip roof etc and have the inspection done by the state and get the proper credits. Ok, electric bills are higher because of the need for a/c BUT if I add in cost of heating that I was paying for oil over 4 years ago when I paid $1.29 a gallon, I still come out paying much less for electric here than I did for electric and heating up there.

As for nothing to do, are you kidding me? SoFlGal showed just the kids end, but there's plenty of things to do within a short drive for adults too. Everytime friends come down to visit which is at least 3-4 times a year, I seem to manage to always find new and exciting things to do with them. And last but not least, if you love the quaintness of New England, then you need to go to the beaches on Boca Grande which is a 25 min drive from NP. Absolutely one of the best kept secrets in the area. So many different kinds of shells, and dolphins swimming in front of you in the tourquoise waters. I used to travel over an hour to southern CT and RI to lay towel to towel on the beaches on the weekends and spend half the time stuck in bumper to bumper traffic. No, this is truly paradise guys and I bet like me, you will never look back. HOWEVER, if you do want it to be a successful move you do need to come down and check out the neighborhoods and area to find the right home or you are playing craps and have a 50/50 chance of winning! Some homes have been sitting shut and foreclosed for awhile..how will you know if there is a mold or God knows what other problem with the property??? And since this is quite an investment and not like going to Foxwoods up there, I think you really should save up and come on down and see SoFlgal when you come. She won't steer you wrong!!

Old 04-26-2009, 01:20 PM

7,511 posts, read 22,918,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by angelnfl View Post
Hi guys, first I sincerely hope you do come down and live here. I came from the southern part of Mass near the CT border 4 plus years ago and have never looked back. Yes, I had to travel a half hour to get to the city and lived in a small town that had a Walmart and not even a grocery store! So living in NP with everything 5 mins away in Port Charlotte is like heaven on earth to me. I still get the country feel that I like as we are spread out over alot of land, yet its so nice to be close to things, esp as gas prices are so unstable. As for comparisons, my taxes are half down here for what I paid up there and I have a pool home. Square footage I am about the same so you can't say I moved into a smaller home. Homeowners ins. is about the same if you have shutters and buy a newer property with a hip roof etc and have the inspection done by the state and get the proper credits. Ok, electric bills are higher because of the need for a/c BUT if I add in cost of heating that I was paying for oil over 4 years ago when I paid $1.29 a gallon, I still come out paying much less for electric here than I did for electric and heating up there.

As for nothing to do, are you kidding me? SoFlGal showed just the kids end, but there's plenty of things to do within a short drive for adults too. Everytime friends come down to visit which is at least 3-4 times a year, I seem to manage to always find new and exciting things to do with them. And last but not least, if you love the quaintness of New England, then you need to go to the beaches on Boca Grande which is a 25 min drive from NP. Absolutely one of the best kept secrets in the area. So many different kinds of shells, and dolphins swimming in front of you in the tourquoise waters. I used to travel over an hour to southern CT and RI to lay towel to towel on the beaches on the weekends and spend half the time stuck in bumper to bumper traffic. No, this is truly paradise guys and I bet like me, you will never look back. HOWEVER, if you do want it to be a successful move you do need to come down and check out the neighborhoods and area to find the right home or you are playing craps and have a 50/50 chance of winning! Some homes have been sitting shut and foreclosed for awhile..how will you know if there is a mold or God knows what other problem with the property??? And since this is quite an investment and not like going to Foxwoods up there, I think you really should save up and come on down and see SoFlgal when you come. She won't steer you wrong!!
Thanks Angel! Yup, Wayne and Randie are already there. I sold them their home and last I heard they love it here! They're quite the couple, real nice people. I don't think they have come back to City-Data since they've bought. I'll have to give them a ring and tell them to check out the board

You did an excellent job on your post! Positive rep points for you
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area