U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2008, 06:52 PM

1,642 posts, read 4,091,749 times

Advertisements

Hello!

Since I am heading down there I want to get an idea of a few bills if you don't mind. I was wondering if anyone has an idea of how much lawn/yard service would be for 1/2 acre?

Also, what about car ins? I have no tickets or accidents and drive a Prius.

Car registration when I get there will cost me?????

Also, if I rent a house about 2,000 sq ft with a pool....any idea on the electric???

I'm just trying to get an idea of what to budget for.

Thanks!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2008, 07:33 PM

7,511 posts, read 21,763,386 times
Not too sure on the lawn service because my husband cuts our lawn but I can probably help you out on the other things. Often times, if you are renting the rental company will keep the grass up.

One of my cars is a Toyota Yaris, I have no accidents or tickets and the insurance runs me $467 every six months through Allstate.

It costs $100 for the initial car registration and $12 for the actual plate. I believe the yearly registration is around $28.

My house is 2127 under air, built in 2003 and we have no pool. Our last month electric bill was $212. We usually keep our thermostat at around 80 degrees. The age of the home is a big factor when looking at your electric bill. Usually the newer homes have better insulation.

Hope this helps!

Last edited by SoFLGal; 08-02-2008 at 07:42 PM..

Old 08-04-2008, 05:02 AM

Thanks As usual you come through! I wish I could get an idea on the price of lawn care. If it's $100 a month, it's not a big deal but if it is $200, that would be throwing my budget off. I found a house with 1/2 acre lot with no lawn care. He wants me to pay for the lawn care. So it could be a deal breaker.

Old 08-04-2008, 07:11 AM

960 posts, read 1,551,523 times
JennySquirrel,
Renters are in the drivers seat down here. Too much inventory, too few renters. Lawn service should always be included in the rent. It is their property, therefore, they should maintain it. If it is any indication, it is unlikely this landlord is big on paying for other stuff too...like repairs.

Old 08-04-2008, 07:16 AM

Thanks! I made an offer that I would take care of the pool and they could do the lawn. How complicated could a "self cleaning" pool be? But the lawn is 1/2 acre so no thanks!

Do you think I am wrong for offering to do the pool care? I asked for both and he came back with they would have the pool cared for and they wanted me to do the lawn. What do you think? Rent is $2,500 and I am offering a 2 yr lease.

Old 08-04-2008, 07:29 AM

7,511 posts, read 21,763,386 times
What area is the home located? How big is the home. I would think they would jump on your offer and do the pool and the lawn service. Like Carbondated said, you are in the drivers seat. There are lots of rentals out there.

I know I can get our lawn mowed for $30 with an annual contract and it's 1/4 acre. So, I'm going to take a wild stab at it and say $60 for a 1/2 acre. Of course that's not weeding, fertilizing, trimming, etc. Just cutting the lawn.

Old 08-04-2008, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JennySquirrel View Post
Thanks! I made an offer that I would take care of the pool and they could do the lawn. How complicated could a "self cleaning" pool be? But the lawn is 1/2 acre so no thanks!

Do you think I am wrong for offering to do the pool care? I asked for both and he came back with they would have the pool cared for and they wanted me to do the lawn. What do you think? Rent is $2,500 and I am offering a 2 yr lease.
If you feel comfortable about maintaining the pool then do it. However, just be aware that if something went wrong with the pool pump, he may suggest that you did not clean out the filter often enough and ask you to fork over money for a portion of the repairs. I wouldn't pay for maintenance on someone elses property. In my view, a renter is someone who makes a profit for the landlord and pays the mortgage for the landlord...only.

Old 08-04-2008, 08:19 AM

OK thanks for the info. I will keep that in mind. Maybe I will tell him I want a disclaimer on that because all I wil do is vaccuum and add chemicals. Pump care is up to him.

Thanks

Old 08-04-2008, 11:47 AM

6,103 posts, read 14,311,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JennySquirrel View Post

Jenny,
That is quite a rent payment. You can pay for a house with that kind of monthly payment! A two year lease is a long time as well!

Old 08-04-2008, 01:11 PM

I have to add...Please do a background check on your landlord.

It was in the Sarasota Herald Tribune and on our local TV station that renters are being tossed out on the street because the landlords are pocketing the monthly rent instead of paying off the mortgage.

You can see how many properties he owns here: Property Record Search (http://www.sarasotaproperty.net/scpa_record_search.asp - broken link)

Other posters may be able to tell you where to find out the status (liens, foreclosure, etc.) on the property you may be renting. And Big House is right $2500 is a big monthly payment in these parts... better have a boat lift with a yacht attached to it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area