U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-05-2008, 07:56 PM

33 posts, read 143,708 times

Advertisements

Venice! Nobody talks about Venice. I am 68 years old so North Port is out. Tell me everything about Venice.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2008, 06:25 AM

960 posts, read 1,502,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magyar4321869 View Post
Venice! Nobody talks about Venice. I am 68 years old so North Port is out. Tell me everything about Venice.
Nobody talks about Venice? LOL..... I must have really missed something.
Anyways....this thread is for North Port questions, but here are just a few of the hundreds of threads on Venice.

Just click on the links below for some information:
//www.city-data.com/forum/saras...ghlight=venice

Like I said, there is tons of information about Venice, the good and the bad.
Hiit the Search button at the top, type in keyword Venice and you will get a listing of all of the threads with Venice mentioned.

Last edited by Carbondated; 08-06-2008 at 06:35 AM..

Old 08-06-2008, 09:33 AM

182 posts, read 923,473 times
My sister lived In Englewood for 3 or 4 years before having to go back up north for medical reasons. She's now 60 and just moved back to Englewood this Monday.

She loves it there but she's also retired.

I lived there 2 years and it was too slow for me plus I'm still working so I had a bit of a drive to get to work. There are very few jobs in Englewood.
You could look at each areas chamber of commerce site to get an idea too.

Venice is bigger and getting bigger.

Good Luck where ever you end up!! It's all Paradise!!

Old 08-06-2008, 10:04 AM

1,380 posts, read 5,544,982 times
I live in Venice. It is a wonderful city. A small town on the gulf. John Nolan designed the original city back in the 1920's. His design concepts are still used. One of the themes is that people live near where they work. So within walking distance of the downtown shopping district you'll find apartments (some now condos).
The city hired a landscape designer so you'll find beautiful parks and mature vegetation. Venice Ave has a canopy of Live oaks and Banyan trees. Originally there were architectural standards and the buildings of the 1920's were built using northern Italian Renaissance as a theme. Some newer buildings continue using that theme.
Venice was an Army air corp base during world war 2 and housing was built to accommodate the army and support staff at the time. So there is a mix of architecture. The federal land that was the air field is now the municipal airport, and golf course.
There are miles of beaches. From Casperson to the south to the Jetty on the north end. There are great restaurants in walking distance from my house. There is a walking/biking path along the intracoastal waterway.
It's a great town.

Old 08-06-2008, 10:32 AM

There is the City of Venice is basically the island of Venice and portions of the mainland. The City of Venice has a population of around 20,000 people, and the surrounding area (Venice address, Sarasota County services) is an additional 30,000 or more. So the combinded total population of Venice is around 50,000 people.

The median age is around 70 years old.

Some people (realtors more than likely) will respond with glowing reports about the community, which is great. But there are people who are just plain old citizens who see both the positive and negatives of the area.

Though people like to say that Venice has a small town charm, it is becoming less the case. Having lived and visited here for 20+ years it is increasingly crowded and the charm that attracted people to this area is being eroded away. That is not to say that Venice is not a nice town, but does have its drawbacks.

1. Certain areas are less than desirable now...as opposed to 10-15 years ago when there were absolutely no "less than desirable" neighborhoods.
2. Traffic can be an absolute nightmare, and it seems to get worse every year.
3. There has been an increase in crime and not just the petty stuff. You would never hear of a murder, but now you do.
4. Many houses are in foreclosure, and these houses are not being kept up. Unfortuantely, our HOA had to deal with one of these situations and it is just a nightmare.
5. A huge increase in the number of rental housing, leading to less stable neighborhoods. The City of Venice itself tried to make changes to address the problem of all these short term rental houses, but I think they were unable to do anything.

Like I said, it is not at all a bad town. Just one that is losing some of its quality.

Englewood was mentioned in a previous post, and I don't think Englewood has seen as much rapid growth and crowding. I suggest having a look at Englewood too.

Last edited by Carbondated; 08-06-2008 at 10:43 AM..

Old 08-06-2008, 10:32 AM

8,457 posts, read 12,364,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLBob View Post
I live in Venice. It is a wonderful city. A small town on the gulf. John Nolan designed the original city back in the 1920's. His design concepts are still used. One of the themes is that people live near where they work. So within walking distance of the downtown shopping district you'll find apartments (some now condos).
I have a friend who may be interested in buying a small condo in Venice.

Can you briefly summarize how Venice has fared before, during, and after the real estate bubble?

Can you suggest a ballpark price per square foot figure for a 1 bed condo within walking distance of the downtown shopping district, could be an older, non-luxury building, if any exist? What are average condo fees like nowadays?

Can you suggest zip codes and subdivisions to search in?

Thanks

Old 08-06-2008, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bale002 View Post
Can you briefly summarize how Venice has fared before, during, and after the real estate bubble?
Thanks
From my post above:
4. Many houses are in foreclosure, and these houses are not being kept up. Unfortuantely, our HOA had to deal with one of these situations and it is just a nightmare.
5. A huge increase in the number of rental housing, leading to less stable neighborhoods. The City of Venice itself tried to make changes to address the problem of all these short term rental houses, but I think they were unable to do anything.

Old 08-06-2008, 11:14 AM

1,380 posts, read 5,544,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bale002 View Post
I have a friend who may be interested in buying a small condo in Venice.

Can you suggest a ballpark price per square foot figure for a 1 bed condo within walking distance of the downtown shopping district, could be an older, non-luxury building, if any exist? What are average condo fees like nowadays?

Can you suggest zip codes and subdivisions to search in?

Thanks
Venice pricing as come back to pre-boom pricing, though some sellers are in denial.
Today you can find 1 1 condos within blocks of the downtown as low as the mid-70k range. you'll be able to find very nice condo from about $85/ft.
There island of Venice is in 34285, but so is much of the area. I've implemented search by map on my website.
HOA fees are normally starting around $300/month many higher some lower.

Old 08-06-2008, 12:46 PM

8,457 posts, read 12,364,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLBob View Post
Venice pricing as come back to pre-boom pricing, though some sellers are in denial.
Today you can find 1 1 condos within blocks of the downtown as low as the mid-70k range. you'll be able to find very nice condo from about $85/ft.
There island of Venice is in 34285, but so is much of the area. I've implemented search by map on my website.
HOA fees are normally starting around $300/month many higher some lower.
Thank you for a succinct, to-the-point answer, I appreciate it, and will pass along to friend.

Old 08-09-2008, 08:22 PM

325 posts, read 945,435 times
Default Venice is a great town

I grew up in Venice since I have been Nine yrs old. I am Fourty now. Venice has had its changes, but stays very consistant. Unlike areas like North Port and Pt.Charlotte. It is centrally located to reach Sarasota. Restraunts are very good and plentiful. And beaches are nice. I hope this helps.

Last edited by Sunnydee; 08-09-2008 at 09:04 PM.. Reason: advertising
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area