Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2008, 07:04 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,854,747 times

Advertisements

this sequestering of information that is considered "proprieterial" is all about getting people to use a realtor to preserve their market share
having an educated shopper can cut a realtor out of the picture...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2008, 07:45 AM

1,380 posts, read 5,928,027 times
Default I've been screaaming at MFR since the Venice conversion

Quote:
Originally Posted by d4g4m View Post
We've read messages from the mid florida board that stated that they like and wanted an informed customer. But trying to find a site in Sarasota that gives information has been a task.
Here is the lastest thumb in the eye for people looking to purchase a home in Sarasota.
I noticed that listings for Sarasota on realtor.com no longer showed addresses, for about a week, about the same time they joined mid florida. I sent realtor.com a message to let them know that there was a problem in that zip codes in Sarasota were not showing addresses.
Here is the realtor.com response. - the Sarasota Board of Realtors have decided to no longer show addresses of real estate for sale.
Are these people for real? RE offices that use map/aerial locators are now useless. As I have previously written during the charlotteareamls mess, they keep putting less and less info on a listing and now no addresses. They want you to call. They have caller ID. They want to get your e-mail address. When you call, you give up your 'do not call' rights. When they have your e-mail address, you will receive spam.
Mid-Fl to have a public access site with full disclosure? I don't think so!!!!
The problem that you are seeing with addresses being blocked is not a choice that the area brokers are making to keep the public in the dark. This is a problem in the conversion to MFR.
I discovered the problem in April when the Venice board switched to MFR.
My background is software development so I had a test plan to check that the capabilities of the new system after the conversion.
I started the process of getting MFR and the boards to do something about this problem. One month later I informed MFR and FAR of the problem when the Englewood board converted. A month after that I informed MFR and the Punta Gorda board of the problem. You would not believe how many hours/phone calls/emails I have spent on this issue.
It's more than just the addresses it's the year built, it's the square footage, it's the agent remarks.
The simple solution is that each broker for each office must log on to the FAR website and select their IDX options. The ill will that this type of thing causes is soooo unnecessary and I'm soooo frustrated.

Old 08-16-2008, 10:19 AM

6,103 posts, read 15,085,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
this sequestering of information that is considered "proprieterial" is all about getting people to use a realtor to preserve their market share
having an educated shopper can cut a realtor out of the picture...
I don't think so, you are seller are still going to list the houses with agents, and buyers are going to use agents to work with because they need so many things to assist them when trying to buy a house.

By providing good information to the public, they can do a lot of the research, and save the agents a lot of cost and time, by narrowing their search. They still need to view the houses. This can save a ton of gas, mileage, and time, making it more effective for the agents so they can sell more homes. It may take more time, but the information getting to the public in faster streams.

Old 08-16-2008, 10:28 AM

We've notified MFR that once again they allowed a conversion to occur without resolving the IDX data issue. Hopefully they will notify all the Sarasota brokers promptly.

Old 08-16-2008, 02:06 PM

6,864 posts, read 12,075,211 times
Seems there is a lot of blame going around as to who caused or how or why problems are occuring with real estate listings with Sarasota zip codes. It's been a week and nothing has been done to fix the problem.
Whether it's a human decision or a computer glitch, the people that are looking to purchase a home are frustrated because of it. Most of us looking know the area/neighborhood/community/sub-division where we want to purchase/live. Having the closest search being a zip code or on some sites 'west of I-75' showing hundreds of listings with no addresses makes searching very difficult and time consuming, almost impossible.
I'm sure there are many RE associates that get the 50 questions callers because their broker/franchise purchased/uses software programs that don't give much info [by design] on their listings. Now they will also be getting the 'what is the address?' 'No,I'm not interested in that location' hang up calls.
The RE offices that have been using software that operates solely on map/address icon basis search have become useless. I'm sure they are experiencing a high level of annoyance since their expensive programs are no longer working.

Old 08-16-2008, 02:50 PM

d4g4m - It's frustrating for you, it's frustrating for me. My dues go to paying for this service.

Old 08-18-2008, 09:16 AM

Re- missing addresses on some RE web sites. In an e-mail response to me, the CEO at the Sarasota Board of Realtors states that they changed service providers. They have been notified about some web sites not showing addresses on listings.

Old 08-21-2008, 01:09 PM

The problem of missing addresses on realtor.com for Sarasota listings has been repaired but at the same time there's a new problem. Many active listings are not being displayed in some zip codes. One site I use fixed the problem in one day but another site that uses a map search has had a problem of not being able to find addresses for a week.
These computer glitches are causing problems for those of us looking to purchase a home. And I'm sure that people trying to sell would like to see their home actively listed.

Old 10-01-2008, 06:57 AM

960 posts, read 1,687,198 times
Yeah ummm... Any updates on public access to the MFR MLS?

It was suppose to launch in August...and now it is October.

Old 10-01-2008, 07:18 AM

7,511 posts, read 22,918,024 times
I just shot an email over to the president. I'll let you know what the answer is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area