Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-08-2008, 05:47 PM

155 posts, read 1,050,957 times

Advertisements

Are jobs not pleantuful down in this region, or is this area maily for pensioners who are retired and livng la vida loca????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2008, 06:09 PM

8,189 posts, read 31,178,539 times
For the 146,867th time, JOBS ARE HARD TO COME BY IN THIS AREA! Good jobs that pay enough to pay your bills are even harder to find. There are less jobs here every day. Florida leads the country in jobs lost since the beginning of this year. http://www.upi.com/Business_News/200...7601216503774/

I have been working with multiple agencies since March of last year. They have managed to come up with a whopping 4 days of work for me in all that time.

If you can part the sea, walk on water, hang the moon and do it all in 3 languages you might have a shot. Can you live on $8/hr? I got a call from a friend a few minutes ago. She is a full charge bookkeeper with almost 20 years experience and excellent references. She got an offer today for $10/hr.

Last edited by Racelady88; 08-08-2008 at 06:45 PM..

Old 08-08-2008, 08:02 PM

7,511 posts, read 22,854,690 times
What kind of job are you looking for? Do you have experience in a certain field? What Racelady said is pretty accurate. I would definitely secure a job before moving down. You might even think about renting before buying if you are not that familiar with the area.

The average age in Venice is 69 years old, so yes, this area does have a high retired population. The average age in North Port is 38, but again, jobs are not plentiful right now. Not that the employment stats are doing that great anywhere in the US.

Old 08-08-2008, 08:06 PM

5,969 posts, read 9,517,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racelady88 View Post
For the 146,867th time, JOBS ARE HARD TO COME BY IN THIS AREA! Good jobs that pay enough to pay your bills are even harder to find. There are less jobs here every day. Florida leads the country in jobs lost since the beginning of this year. Labor Dept.: Florida tops in lost jobs - UPI.com

I have been working with multiple agencies since March of last year. They have managed to come up with a whopping 4 days of work for me in all that time.

If you can part the sea, walk on water, hang the moon and do it all in 3 languages you might have a shot. Can you live on $8/hr? I got a call from a friend a few minutes ago. She is a full charge bookkeeper with almost 20 years experience and excellent references. She got an offer today for $10/hr.
Nuff Said

Old 08-09-2008, 05:31 AM

155 posts, read 1,050,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racelady88 View Post
For the 146,867th time, JOBS ARE HARD TO COME BY IN THIS AREA! Good jobs that pay enough to pay your bills are even harder to find. There are less jobs here every day. Florida leads the country in jobs lost since the beginning of this year. Labor Dept.: Florida tops in lost jobs - UPI.com

Then why are people in the area still staying there if it is hard to find good jobs. Why dont people relocate to another part of the country such as the northeast as jobs are more pleantiful and definitely more on the pay scale. I think people just want the three "s" sunshine/ sand/ sex/..

Old 08-09-2008, 06:09 AM

5,969 posts, read 9,517,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JunoAqua View Post
Then why are people in the area still staying there if it is hard to find good jobs. Why dont people relocate to another part of the country such as the northeast as jobs are more pleantiful and definitely more on the pay scale. I think people just want the three "s" sunshine/ sand/ sex/..

Many people end up being to broke to move, and some cant sell their homes.

Old 08-09-2008, 06:48 AM

7,136 posts, read 12,642,507 times
Quote:
Good morning and thank you for making me laugh! I love the "three s" concept.
The retirees in the area don't have to worry about jobs and as DJ indicated some people are too financially strapped to do so. RL and SFG have given you great advice about securing employment before you move to the area.

Old 08-09-2008, 07:37 AM

1,380 posts, read 5,912,808 times
As I learned years ago when I left my corporate job behind to live in southwest Florida, the job market here is different. For most people making a good living means that you need to be entrepreneurial.
The area where there are employment opportunities now is in health care. With an aging population you'll find that doctors waiting rooms are full.
The other traditional employment areas are slow.

If you would like to relocate with a job in hand here is how I would proceed.

Make sure you have a well written resume highlighting your accomplishments. Develop a cover letter that introduces the you the woman who walks on water and would be an asset to any organization. Make sure in your cover letter you ask for a job.

Go to the Chamber of Commerce website in all of the locations you think you might like to live. The chamber will have a list of members businesses. Mail your resume to all the businesses. Some businesses will have websites, some may even list career opportunities. An example here in Venice the Center for Sight has job openings.

Good luck

PS I've never had much success with employment agencies

Old 08-11-2008, 08:14 AM

4,893 posts, read 14,104,125 times
Quote:
I love my sunshine, sand and sex!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area