Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2008, 06:52 AM

22 posts, read 99,837 times

Advertisements

I have friends in Laurel Park, Paver Park and Terrace Gardens and they love it. I have heard similar stories about downtown in the 1990's but those days are long gone. SRQ is very safe. I guess you need to decide if a gated community is better for you. Living in the city is your best option if you enjoy an organic, community experience. There is no use hiding from the world and sequestering yourself behind a large wall and gate. You will not find a more walkable, enjoyable, beautiful city than Sarasota. Good Luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2008, 07:33 AM

17,487 posts, read 38,955,686 times
[quote=Sarasota Fun;4826486]I have friends in Laurel Park, Paver Park and Terrace Gardens and they love it. I have heard similar stories about downtown in the 1990's but those days are long gone. SRQ is very safe. I guess you need to decide if a gated community is better for you. Living in the city is your best option if you enjoy an organic, community experience. There is no use hiding from the world and sequestering yourself behind a large wall and gate. You will not find a more walkable, enjoyable, beautiful city than Sarasota. Good Luck![/QUOTE

The vagrants who burned down the houses live camp out and cruise through Laurel Park NOW, and burned the houses down about 2 months ago - I maintain the area still has issues now. But hey, some people are comfortable living with this element, I had enough of it back in the day. One doesn't have to be in a gated development to be a bit more safe, areas like Paver Park and Terrace Gardens are much better than Laure Park or Gillespie Park as far as crime and safety, IMO. As I said earlier, my former house in LP has a big cement wall around it now. This area will always have a contingent of transients in it no matter how "fancy" it becomes.

Old 08-12-2008, 08:37 AM

88 posts, read 335,433 times
Gypsychic, in reference to those areas outside but close to downtown that you mentioned, what are those? I may also have a skewed view of where downtown is exactly. My visits have been mainly to the ringling/marie selby/mote areas. I'm sure I could use some education. I'm also open to stuff like Lakewood Ranch. I don't need to be smack in the center, I just don't want to be out in the sticks and not have anywhere I can walk.

Thanks for the tip on Gillespie Park. I did see a few posts on Craigslist for that area. It's sad that now being close to a park is not always a good thing since ugly stuff like drug deals go down there.

Old 08-12-2008, 08:46 AM

17,487 posts, read 38,955,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIU2000 View Post
Gypsychic, in reference to those areas outside but close to downtown that you mentioned, what are those? I may also have a skewed view of where downtown is exactly. My visits have been mainly to the ringling/marie selby/mote areas. I'm sure I could use some education. I'm also open to stuff like Lakewood Ranch. I don't need to be smack in the center, I just don't want to be out in the sticks and not have anywhere I can walk.

Thanks for the tip on Gillespie Park. I did see a few posts on Craigslist for that area. It's sad that now being close to a park is not always a good thing since ugly stuff like drug deals go down there.
If you want near downtown, the Burns Court area (where Ladywithafan lives) is a nice area to be. I also love the northside near the Ringling Museum and colleges, west of the trail. Other good areas are Arlington Park and parts of Southgate - both centrally located on the southside of downtown. You may be able to find something affordable and cute in these areas, and they are close to all sorts of amenities.

Old 08-13-2008, 04:22 PM

25,449 posts, read 11,703,307 times
Quote:
Hi Suncoast Guy,

What's "newtown"?

Thanks!
Newtown runs from University Parkway to 17th Street between U.S. 41 and Washington Blvd.

Old 08-14-2008, 07:11 AM

88 posts, read 335,433 times
I google mapped Burns Court where you can see the street view and saw the cutest little spanish style homes lining the street. Does anyone know if those get rented out and if so how much? Is it sketchy there at night? They looked like they were in really good shape but I know day and night can be two different things.

Suncoast Guy thanks for the clarification. I'll make sure to stay out of there.

Old 08-14-2008, 07:37 AM

4,893 posts, read 14,107,127 times
Quote:
I google mapped Burns Court where you can see the street view and saw the cutest little spanish style homes lining the street. Does anyone know if those get rented out and if so how much? Is it sketchy there at night? They looked like they were in really good shape but I know day and night can be two different things.

Suncoast Guy thanks for the clarification. I'll make sure to stay out of there.
Those are around the block from me. Some are for sale, many are businesses & restaurants. Burns Court is a historical neighborhood and one of the nicest parts of downtown. Not sure about rental prices but I pay $825 on Palm Avenue and like I've mentioned before, my landlord has major rental properties all over downtown.

That google map is pretty cool...took a look at my own house there...nice feature...

Last edited by Ladywithafan; 08-14-2008 at 07:48 AM..

Old 08-21-2008, 12:24 PM

22 posts, read 54,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladywithafan View Post
I live downtown by Burns Court and LOVE IT! My landlord has properties all over the downtown area. I pay less than $850 on Palm Avenue. PM me if you'd like his number. There are super rentals available.

You'd be much happier & safer in downtown SRQ. The downtown area is very walkable.

HI , AM ALSO INTERESTED IN A LOW RENT MAY I HAVE THE NUMBER TOO , IF YOU DONT MIND THANKS

Old 08-21-2008, 01:27 PM

7,511 posts, read 22,862,764 times
I wouldn't call Burns Court sketchy at all. It's very quaint and artsy. I love that area...

Old 08-25-2008, 09:49 AM

4,893 posts, read 14,107,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by svrom09 View Post
HI , AM ALSO INTERESTED IN A LOW RENT MAY I HAVE THE NUMBER TOO , IF YOU DONT MIND THANKS
PM me....back from vacation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area