Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2008, 03:56 PM

1,653 posts, read 4,297,143 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know if I will be able to grown tomato plants year round in Venice?

What about the pool? can we use the pool year round? I sure hope so
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2008, 04:41 PM

7,511 posts, read 22,918,024 times
Hi Jenny,

My kids swim in the pool year 'round. It's a little too chilly for me but they are OK with it.

The growing in season for tomatoes is Oct-May. You plant them in Oct and then by May it gets too hot and they burn up/die.

Old 08-16-2008, 05:28 PM

SoFlGal, what would this forum do without you? You answer all the questions! Thanks for the info. I think I'll buy a solar cover. Maybe that will help alittle.

Is your pool heated?

Old 08-16-2008, 06:38 PM

1,380 posts, read 5,928,027 times
The season for tomatoes is fall,winter,and spring. The heat in the summer will cook the tomatoes. You'll do better with your tomatoes if you grow them inside your screen cage in large pots, at least 5 gal. Choose indeterminate varieties. The determinates will produce all at the same time.

Without heat your pool temps will mirror the temps of the gulf. We have solar heat and swim from mid-april to nov. The pool temp need to be mid 80's or I turn blue.

Old 08-16-2008, 06:47 PM

7,511 posts, read 22,918,024 times
I don't have a pool but my in-laws who live in Port Charlotte do, and no theirs is not heated. The lakes up north are way to cold for me as well, so I'm kind of a baby but like I said, my kids don't have any problem jumping in the pool in Jan-Mar

I would say a solar cover would be a good investment.

Old 08-16-2008, 08:02 PM

3,412 posts, read 10,170,015 times
Tomatoes, i would grow them inside of a green house, or inside of your own house. I gave up growing them outside, the bugs are horrible. I picked may be handfull of decent tomatoes, we had 10 bushes.
Pool, i would not swim during winter time, unless you have heated/solar pool. Too cold for me. Otherwise, yeah, i would swim while temperatures above 80.

Old 08-16-2008, 08:38 PM

Once again, thanks for all the helpful info. I will probably grow my tomatoes in big pots inside the cage. That way the bugs stay away and I can fill up a big pot with organic soil

Starting my plants in Oct. makes me smile to think about it. I'm used to not being able to get them in the ground until June. Even in June there were a few nights I had to go out and cover them due to frosts.

The house I am hoping to rent does have a heated pool and I will also buy a cover if it doesn't have one.

I'm a baby and if the water isn't 82 degrees, then I want nothing to do with it

Thanks for all the info

Old 08-17-2008, 08:45 AM

6,103 posts, read 15,085,469 times
That is awesome. I love tomatoes. Our growing season in MD is from mid-April through July. I have a green house, and should use it, but I buy the starter plants and cage them out side. I did not plant any this year.

Heater or no heater, I'll swim year round. I will put a solar heater in, if the house I purchase doesn't have one. Jenny where are you from. I originally grew up near the fingerlakes and the water there would reach an invigorating 55 degrees in August!
Once when I was swimming down about 35' I thought I saw Phelps swim by - maybe it was his sister. LOL He really is a fish!

Old 08-17-2008, 03:10 PM

Big House~ Phelps would have had on his snappy laser suit probably with a heater in it LOL

I'm from Ohio. I HATE IT! I always have. I have zero patience for snow, blizzards, ice storms,etc. When I leave I will never look back. I can't wait to get out of here.

We're going to rent for the first year or so to make sure we are in the right area for us. If all goes as planned, we will be down there in about 6 weeks. Just in time for me to plant my tomatoes!

Old 08-17-2008, 03:31 PM

1,781 posts, read 6,962,609 times
Like others have stated Oct-may is the best time for tomatoes but they do have a few heat resistant varieties you can grow in the summer so you can have year round tomatoes.

Some off the top of my head are heat wave and solar set they do well in the summer here.

The cooler season you can grow the other like beefsteak and the likes.

You can swim year round but after some adjustment you will think the winter months are too cold unless you have a solar heated pool then you can.

Last edited by Alphaman; 08-17-2008 at 03:33 PM.. Reason: added text
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area