Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2008, 12:42 PM

960 posts, read 1,686,436 times

Advertisements

You are comparing the costs of a mobile home in Florida to a 100 year old Victorian house in Taxachusetts?
How large is your mobile home? 500sf or 750sf maybe?

Come on...it is like comparing apples to oranges... no wonder why you are laughing.

Last edited by Carbondated; 08-26-2008 at 01:04 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2008, 12:47 PM

3,645 posts, read 7,146,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbondated View Post
Great, informative reply ShepsMom.

Just to add:
weekly food bill around $200 plus every time
Same here

tv phone broadband cable etc $200 (a month)
Same here

cell phone $110 (a month)
Same here

By the looks of it mr&mrssunshine, you may have to do some wallet tightening if you plan on living on $4000 a month. Things like eating out twice per week, can't be done on your limited budget.
Best of luck to you.

PS... A good rule of thumb is to use 25-33% of your monthly income on rent/mortgage. Best if it is only 25% of your income.
Carbon- you arent paying attention mate, this is with no mortgage or car payments in Fla. When we move I intend to pay cash for the house and car and then live off 4000

Old 08-26-2008, 01:00 PM

960 posts, read 1,686,436 times
Ah well, in that case, lol...welcome to Florida and have a nice day.

I'm sure you can see where the confusion spawned. When you listed your housing and car expenses over in England as an example of how much costlier you think it is in comparison to Florida.

Old 08-26-2008, 01:03 PM

17,533 posts, read 39,105,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr&mrssunshine View Post
Carbon- you arent paying attention mate, this is with no mortgage or car payments in Fla. When we move I intend to pay cash for the house and car and then live off 4000
With no mortgage payment or other credit debt, you should be able to live nicely off $4,000, particularly if you buy in an area with fairly reasonble taxes and insurance. I am sure you will love the area!

Old 08-26-2008, 01:04 PM

cheers, i may have enough to buy you a beer at the CD meet in that case !!

Serioulsy what i was trying to find out is what the minimum is i would need (without mortgage and car) to live 'comfortably' ie eat out 2-3 times a week and not have to worry about bills etc.

if its less than 4 grand even better

Old 08-26-2008, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
With no mortgage payment or other credit debt, you should be able to live nicely off $4,000, particularly if you buy in an area with fairly reasonble taxes and insurance. I am sure you will love the area!
we plan to move to rotonda, taxes arent horrible. we do love the area -been coming 15+ years and back in October for our third time this year.

cant wait for the one way trip

Old 08-26-2008, 02:55 PM

17,533 posts, read 39,105,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr&mrssunshine View Post
cheers, i may have enough to buy you a beer at the CD meet in that case !!

Serioulsy what i was trying to find out is what the minimum is i would need (without mortgage and car) to live 'comfortably' ie eat out 2-3 times a week and not have to worry about bills etc.

if its less than 4 grand even better
Well, the big variable here is what type of places and prices do you pay when you go out to eat? If you like fancy restaurants and buy a bottle of wine and pay close to $100 a pop for dinner for two each time, obviously that will eat into your budget. Hubby and I love to eat out but have been finding less expensive places and skipping the expensive wine. You can find some great eating places without the big price. If you are thrifty enough, you might be able to eat out FIVE nights instead of three! lol And since you will be eating out so often, you will be buying less food at the market, so you won't need a big food budget! And less utilities because you won't be cooking or washing dishes! Yes, much more economical to eat out!

Old 08-27-2008, 12:17 AM

I love your logic, so eating out and barbies it is !!! Our faves are the Outback and believe it or not the Olive Garden -always good value, but for authentic italian food we love mamas.25 bucks worth there can keep us going for 2 nights (nearly )

for cheapy nites out International super buffet and the Mexican in PC and we found a pretty good chinese take out on 776 last time.

for a fancy treat out we use the Crows Nest in Venice.

HOWEVER i have now decided our mission in October should be to find some new places so any recommendations gratfeully recd

Old 08-27-2008, 06:56 PM

6,103 posts, read 15,081,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
Well, the big variable here is what type of places and prices do you pay when you go out to eat? If you like fancy restaurants and buy a bottle of wine and pay close to $100 a pop for dinner for two each time, obviously that will eat into your budget. Hubby and I love to eat out but have been finding less expensive places and skipping the expensive wine. You can find some great eating places without the big price. If you are thrifty enough, you might be able to eat out FIVE nights instead of three! lol And since you will be eating out so often, you will be buying less food at the market, so you won't need a big food budget! And less utilities because you won't be cooking or washing dishes! Yes, much more economical to eat out!
Do they have bring you own bottle (BYOB) restaurants in Florida. In MD there are lots of restaurant where you can bring your own bottle of wine or beer if you'd like.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area