Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2008, 05:58 PM

6,864 posts, read 12,075,211 times

Advertisements

Gasoline prices have dropped temporarily. But at any price, you are not getting the same mpg from your vehicle if you are buying your gasoline from a station that is selling E10 [ethanol] blend. Government and professional web sites state that you can expect about 5% less mpg with ethanol. My personal experience has been about 9% less mpg.
I was in P.G. looking at homes for sale, with less than a quarter tank of gas. Filled at a Shell station on Jones Loop Rd but didn't notice the small yellow 'contains 10% ethanol' sticker until I got back in the car. Went through the tank of gas and noticed that my Honda that usually gets 24 mpg city/38 mpg hiwy was showing an abnormal low mileage on the trip odometer. Mileage turned out to be only 31 mpg. Filled the tank again, this time at Bee Ridge/Sawyer. Again not noticing the small yellow sticker since the last time I was there. Another tank, this time getting only 30.5 mpg [yes, I have a new air filter and the tire pressures are correct] Next tank full at a station not using E10. Gas mileage returned to 34 mpg.
Learn from my mistakes. Look for the small yellow sticker, right side, waist level on the pump before you fill the tank.
Ethanol has much less BTU's than gasoline. And all gasoline retailers are required by FL to dispense E10 gasoline by 12/31/10
Not only are tax payers subsidizing this inefficient fuel, the price is the same and we're getting less mpg.
Ethanol - just another government mandated rip-off.

Last edited by d4g4m; 08-28-2008 at 06:01 PM.. Reason: typo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2008, 07:14 AM

4,894 posts, read 14,138,002 times
Default All Gas in FL will have a minimum of 10% by 2011

By federal law, the oil companies are mandated to use a percentage of ethanol in its products by year's end. An initiative that is further supported by the renewable energy bill recently passed by the Florida Legislature and expected to be signed by Gov. Charlie Crist in June. The bill will require all gasoline sold in Florida to contain a minimum of 10 percent ethanol by 2011.

Old 08-30-2008, 07:29 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,854,747 times
the ethanol bill is another big hoodwink put over on the american public
the facts are that ethanol dilutes gasoline--it does not improve gasoline--using corn caused a hardship for people that went beyong any benefit from using ethanol--the idea that it is better for emissions and global warming is not necessarily true

you go through a tank of flex fluel with more ethanol quicker--get fewer miles--and have to buy more so that you really spend MORE money eventually

my husband has a tahoe with takes flex fuel and he bought a tank of it vs regular gas with 10% ethanol added--which is all we can get in the county in TX we live in--
there is NO non-ethanol gasoline around here for us because of air quality rules...

anyway--that car sucked that gas out of the tank like a high school football player at the first after summer practice...slurp...
he was back to regular gas because it did go farther--even though the flex flue was less expensive in price it was not saving him any money and preformance was not as good--
he is careful driver but really had to "floor" the gas to get any pickup from a stop light or for passing...

there may be a niche for ethanol in certain types of gas engines--but there was not enough planning done about what kind of crop to use (not corn that is for sure) and what type of engine it is really suited for...but once again NO govt policy, NO real long-term planning, NO real analysis of what works vs what sounds good...

Old 01-25-2009, 10:08 PM

1 posts, read 7,511 times
Has anyone found an ethanol free gas station in Sarasota lately?

Old 01-26-2009, 09:32 AM

4,894 posts, read 14,138,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wl7cpa View Post
Has anyone found an ethanol free gas station in Sarasota lately?

I've looked...haven't found any in either SRQ or Bradenton.

Old 01-26-2009, 12:02 PM

6,864 posts, read 12,075,211 times
As of two weeks ago, Max's station on Stickney Point Rd, just east of Gateway Ave was selling NO ethanol gas. There is a big yellow sign that says 'no ethanol'. I tend to believe it because after 2 tanks, my car m.p.g has returned to normal.

Old 02-24-2009, 09:19 AM

49 posts, read 94,427 times
Volkswagon will come out with their high mileage diesel Jetta in summer 2009. Jetta's "BlueTDI" engine will get 60 mpg and they don't mix ethanol in diesel. VW makes a car called the Polo in Europe with a diesel engine that gets over 70 mpg and has enough power to pull a tent camper. The new clean diesel's being driven in Europe are all capable of using bio-diesel without having to convert the injectors.

Diesel technology has proven itself to be reliable and durable throughout the past century. Just about the time a gas burner is used up, a diesel is just being broken in. Even though diesel fuel is more expensive now, over the life of the vehicle you can't beat the power and the bottom line economy.

Old 02-12-2010, 12:07 PM

1 posts, read 6,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by d4g4m View Post
As of two weeks ago, Max's station on Stickney Point Rd, just east of Gateway Ave was selling NO ethanol gas. There is a big yellow sign that says 'no ethanol'. I tend to believe it because after 2 tanks, my car m.p.g has returned to normal.
Just confirming that as of today Ethanol Free is still available @ Maxx's. 2.94/gallon. Had to drive up from North Port to get it. They don't take Credit so you'll need a Dedit Card or cash.

Old 03-09-2010, 01:36 PM

21 posts, read 50,157 times
If you guys think this stuff kills your mpg on your new cars, imagine what it does to the classics. They just can't take this garbage. I have no idea what all of us car club members will do in 2011. For now, I know of one gas station that has no ethanol in St. Pete. near the intersection of alt 19 and Park.

Old 03-09-2010, 04:20 PM

275 posts, read 715,178 times
Worse still, is the damage it does to the components after it absorbs the water (condensation) that is inherently in all fuel.

I hope it doesn't relegate this to being just a lawn ornament (never was big on trailering a car to a show).

http://www.rfdm.com/albums/album170/IMG_7620.sized.jpg (broken link)

http://www.rfdm.com/albums/album170/IMG_7621.sized.jpg (broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area