U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2008, 05:18 AM

155 posts, read 1,009,953 times

Advertisements

Not sure on the severrity of these insects...
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2008, 06:22 AM

1,380 posts, read 5,564,415 times
Fire ants are non-native to Florida but seem to just love it here. I work diligently to keep them from setting up shop in my yard. I've tried much of what is on the market, the one product that works for me is Amdro's season long product. I use it twice annually on the whole yard, and then if I see a mound I sprinkle around the area.
Using this approach I'm successful in making my yard safe for my dogs and my wife.

Old 08-30-2008, 06:27 AM

2,143 posts, read 7,580,039 times
Anyone not have problems? They are impossible to get rid of, they have stingers (not bites), they re non-native and are spread throughout the southeast.

Fire ants are decimating the Quail population, BTW.

Old 08-30-2008, 06:29 AM

16,408 posts, read 28,729,998 times
I was recommended Terro for my car, I had thousands of those little crittters walking around and needless to say after I used the Terro they were gone. Go to Home Depot and pick up any kind and it will work. I've never seen a review complain about it and I am yet another satisfied customer. (And this is after the other brands didn't work for me)

Do a google image search for fire ant bites.

Old 08-30-2008, 06:35 AM

2,249 posts, read 8,481,918 times
I had a terrible time when I first moved here. I would put stuff on the mound only to find another mound a couple of feet away. Then I tried a service that cost a ridiculous amount of money and came with a guarantee, which of course didn't work.
I went to Home Depot and bought 'over and out'. Cost about $15. Spread it as you would fertilizer, before a rain and voila... no more ants. Haven't had a mound in my yard for 3 years. Just do it once a year. It cut back on the spiders too. No harm to pets.

Old 08-30-2008, 07:32 AM

1,380 posts, read 5,564,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilybeans View Post
Fire ants are decimating the Quail population, BTW.
I've often wondered how wild life was effected. Now that you mentioned it I used to see coveys of quail, but haven't seen them in years. I just put it to fox and bobcat.

Old 08-30-2008, 06:22 PM

166 posts, read 563,203 times
Amdro is the best. Might not be the fastest product, but the slower the better.

Old 08-30-2008, 08:22 PM

1,507 posts, read 2,928,533 times
a fire ant bite can be just as dangerous as a bee bite to those with allergies----they can also nest in your garage and lanai

Old 08-31-2008, 07:08 PM

5,969 posts, read 8,557,906 times
The fire ant is the most vicious insect in Florida. They are so hard to control and are such a nuisance.

Old 08-31-2008, 07:48 PM

3 posts, read 7,016 times
Fireants can be deadly. I read a news report where a lady in a nursing home died from be stung a few hundred times. Fireants can quickly take over an area that was previously ant free. They have invaded my home numerous times. I have to spray the baseboards, around the light switches and electrical plugs, windows and doors. I live in S.E. Alabama by a creek on the edge of 140 ac of pasture land. The fireants mounds in the pasture are in the hundreds. Amdro works pretty well. I have to lay a barrier of amdro around the perimeter of my house. leave nothing for them to eat exposed such as crumbs. All you can do is keep them at bay. I have found that the problem is usually worse on farm land than in the city. Usually. They are native to South America and entered the U.S. in the early 1900's at the port in Mobile, Alabama

A friend of mine has lived here all his life we both have been stung hundreds of times in our 51 yrs. but one day he was cutting grass and a fireant stung him on his leg. He started to feel weak and went inside to cool off and started swelling in his throat and had difficulty breathing. He went to ER and they give him a shot of epinephren. I think I spelled that right. Now he ALWAYS has to carry an Epi-pen with him. Yes, fireants are something to take seriously. Good luck and take care.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area