Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2008, 06:50 AM

155 posts, read 1,052,928 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcabrer1 View Post
If you in Florida with a degree, you are in good shape. If you not, than thats prob the ones who hate the state and complain that its impossible to live here unless you have 3 jobs.
I tend to disagree with this statement, just because you have a degree, doesn't mean you are guaranteed a good job that you will be set with the rest of your life. Someone else posted that they know people with Master's degrees working at call centers for 12.50/hr. No matter what state you live in and what degree you have their is limited jobs and degrees are a dime a dozen now days and the bottom line is to find work that pays the bills no matter what it is. You have people with Masters degrees working at Barnes and Noble, beacuse they cvan't find work in their sector. I beleive it truly depends on the degree you have as well. Go into nursing a job will be waiting for you with good $$$$$ no matter what state you choose to live in.

Old 09-01-2008, 07:15 AM

5,969 posts, read 9,563,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JunoAqua View Post
I tend to disagree with this statement, just because you have a degree, doesn't mean you are guaranteed a good job that you will be set with the rest of your life. Someone else posted that they know people with Master's degrees working at call centers for 12.50/hr. No matter what state you live in and what degree you have their is limited jobs and degrees are a dime a dozen now days and the bottom line is to find work that pays the bills no matter what it is. You have people with Masters degrees working at Barnes and Noble, beacuse they cvan't find work in their sector. I beleive it truly depends on the degree you have as well. Go into nursing a job will be waiting for you with good $$$$$ no matter what state you choose to live in.
Nice rational, lets all be nurses because Florida will not attract new industry and diversify its economy like every other state in the union!

Old 09-01-2008, 12:49 PM

155 posts, read 1,052,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DailyJournalist View Post
Nice rational, lets all be nurses because Florida will not attract new industry and diversify its economy like every other state in the union!
THis was just an example, I'm not saying we all need to be nurses, but we need to SPECIALIZE in an area where there is demand. I didn't think I needed to list every occupational area, but I will name a few more for those that need more guidance. Law enforcement/Physical therapists/Physicians/

Old 09-02-2008, 07:35 AM

4,895 posts, read 14,140,308 times
Don't think the medical field is fool proof in FL....they're getting laid off as well.

Old 09-02-2008, 12:00 PM

1 posts, read 1,896 times
All I know is I was laid off three months ago and have not found a job yet. There are days where I don't know what to do. Every company that is hiring right now receives 40 resumes for one position! Coming from a household that is use to two incomes, and now we are down to one, really makes life difficult. I'm so lost right now.....

Old 09-02-2008, 02:25 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,658,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JunoAqua View Post
YOu will be sorry and it seems alot of people expect to come here and get a job and make money SUFFICIENT enough to attain Florida living and simply they will struggle unless, they know someone networks, or are in an area where there is stablity...law enforcement..fire dept...doctors..lawyers..nurses..therpaists...some kind of specialized area. Most people here are PENSIONERS and dont have to work or are richies. ALSO if you have your own business you could do well , but relying on service jobs/ retail/restaurants/hotels/ I don't know how people survive on the high cost of Florida living. So if you are making decent money where you now live dont come down and give that up, especially with the economy the way it is. I've seen this firsthand trust me.. The only differnce is you'll have sunshine/bugs/hurricanes/high cost of living in addition to the job problem. Even though I agree with many of you that this is PARADISE... Just my opinion..
I'd never move ANYWHERE unless I had a job lined up!

Old 09-02-2008, 02:27 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,658,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcabrer1 View Post
If you in Florida with a degree, you are in good shape. If you not, than thats prob the ones who hate the state and complain that its impossible to live here unless you have 3 jobs.
I have a two year degree in business management.

It's never gotten me anywhere. But I DO have a $10 an hour job, and a seasonal job (taxes), and I support two people on my income alone...and a cat.

Old 09-02-2008, 07:52 PM

53 posts, read 174,950 times
ok.......So how do you get a job when you live in another state and you want get out. I have a degree in graphic design with over 5 years of experience, so where does one go to find someone who will hire you?

I've posted my resume and had a few hits but they give up on me and I think it's cuz they know I'm not living there? So to the ones who got a job before moving how did you do it? Should I find a job placement place, or is there a better place to post my resume???

Any help would be super great! Thanks!!!!!!!

Old 09-02-2008, 08:00 PM

5,969 posts, read 9,563,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by looking for warmth View Post
OOOPSS sorry about that last post my computer went weird on me....hehehe
Anyway my question was going to be......So how do you get a job, I have a degree in graphic design, where does one go to find someone who will hire you?

I've posted my resume and had a few hits but they give up on me and I think it's cuz they know I'm not living there? So to the ones who got a job before moving how did you do it? Should I find a job placement place, or is there a better place to post my resume???

First thing you need to do is obtain a Florida address and a Florida phone number. That can be accomplished by renting a box at a mailbox, etc. and the Florida phone number can be obtained by buying a pre-paid cell phone.

Old 09-03-2008, 07:48 AM

4,895 posts, read 14,140,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by looking for warmth View Post
ok.......So how do you get a job when you live in another state and you want get out. I have a degree in graphic design with over 5 years of experience, so where does one go to find someone who will hire you?

Creative Loafing is looking for a graphic designer in Sarasota...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area