U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2008, 05:38 AM

155 posts, read 1,010,489 times

Advertisements

YOu will be sorry and it seems alot of people expect to come here and get a job and make money SUFFICIENT enough to attain Florida living and simply they will struggle unless, they know someone networks, or are in an area where there is stablity...law enforcement..fire dept...doctors..lawyers..nurses..therpaists...some kind of specialized area. Most people here are PENSIONERS and dont have to work or are richies. ALSO if you have your own business you could do well , but relying on service jobs/ retail/restaurants/hotels/ I don't know how people survive on the high cost of Florida living. So if you are making decent money where you now live dont come down and give that up, especially with the economy the way it is. I've seen this firsthand trust me.. The only differnce is you'll have sunshine/bugs/hurricanes/high cost of living in addition to the job problem. Even though I agree with many of you that this is PARADISE... Just my opinion..
Rate this post positively

Old 08-30-2008, 06:39 AM

1,380 posts, read 5,567,963 times
I tend to agree with JunoAqua. Southwest Florida can be a tough place to find a job in todays economy. Though I know several people that have made the move recently and they have been successful. SW Florida is a place where people with an entrepreneurial spirit may find success. Florida continues to grow.
Construction was the engine of job growth, and that engine has stalled.
Tourism is still strong, and with the coming seasonal population change, retail and restaurants will be seeing an increase in business.
15 years ago my wife and I quit our corporate jobs in order to come to Florida. It wasn't a piece of cake, but we don't regret the move.

Old 08-30-2008, 07:19 AM

16,310 posts, read 35,032,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JunoAqua View Post
YOu will be sorry and it seems alot of people expect to come here and get a job and make money SUFFICIENT enough to attain Florida living and simply they will struggle unless, they know someone networks, or are in an area where there is stablity...law enforcement..fire dept...doctors..lawyers..nurses..therpaists...some kind of specialized area. Most people here are PENSIONERS and dont have to work or are richies. ALSO if you have your own business you could do well , but relying on service jobs/ retail/restaurants/hotels/ I don't know how people survive on the high cost of Florida living. So if you are making decent money where you now live dont come down and give that up, especially with the economy the way it is. I've seen this firsthand trust me.. The only differnce is you'll have sunshine/bugs/hurricanes/high cost of living in addition to the job problem. Even though I agree with many of you that this is PARADISE... Just my opinion..
This is a strange post coming from you Juno, given that you have been posting about wanting to get a job and move here for over a year, and we have been telling you exactly what you posted here. So did you move here and find out that what we were saying was true? Economy here is not good right now. We tried to warn you....

Old 08-30-2008, 08:46 AM

5,969 posts, read 8,568,350 times
The problem with Florida is not only that the job situation is horrible but that so are the wages. I would not recommend anyone to move to Florida unless they bring a large amount of money with them, because if you don't their is a high probability that your standard of living will be reduced.

Old 08-30-2008, 09:45 AM

6,103 posts, read 14,083,229 times
I don't think I'll have to worry about a job! My wife has plenty of them for me! The pay's not that great, but the food and benefits make me hussle. LOL

Either that or its all the coffee, and beer I drink! LOL

Old 08-31-2008, 06:39 AM

7,136 posts, read 11,868,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big House View Post
I don't think I'll have to worry about a job! My wife has plenty of them for me! The pay's not that great, but the food and benefits make me hussle. LOL

Either that or its all the coffee, and beer I drink! LOL
Good morning! Your post made me laugh! I think the previous posters are talking about paying jobs. LOL

Old 08-31-2008, 07:19 AM

155 posts, read 1,010,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
This is a strange post coming from you Juno, given that you have been posting about wanting to get a job and move here for over a year, and we have been telling you exactly what you posted here. So did you move here and find out that what we were saying was true? Economy here is not good right now. We tried to warn you....
No, I did not make the move, but on my visit to my cousin's area of Venice/Sarasota, it did enlighten me on the fact that I was able to see firsthand what he is now going through. Go ahead rub it in and say I told you so, but I have a new persepective on SW Florida and Florida in general that it is a nice place to visit , but not raise a family and make ends meet.

Old 08-31-2008, 07:30 AM

5,969 posts, read 8,568,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JunoAqua View Post
No, I did not make the move, but on my visit to my cousin's area of Venice/Sarasota, it did enlighten me on the fact that I was able to see firsthand what he is now going through. Go ahead rub it in and say I told you so, but I have a new persepective on SW Florida and Florida in general that it is a nice place to visit , but not raise a family and make ends meet.
I am so glad that you saw for yourself before you uprooted your family. Luckily you have many of us on here that warm people daily. You saw for yourself that many of the things posted on these forums are not exaggerations.

Old 08-31-2008, 09:18 PM

95 posts, read 338,306 times
If you in Florida with a degree, you are in good shape. If you not, than thats prob the ones who hate the state and complain that its impossible to live here unless you have 3 jobs.

Old 09-01-2008, 12:40 AM

544 posts, read 1,374,637 times
I dont have a degree but I also dont blame lack of getting a job on not having one either because people do have jobs unless their that much jerks that they employ college kids to work at places that dont require college degrees. Everyone should be placed accordingly. College kids should make the money they deserve so they wont take some of the bottom jobs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area