U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-03-2008, 03:06 PM

49 posts, read 292,755 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone! My name is Angie and I am a nurse. My husband and I will be moving to this area in a month or two. Are there many oppurtunities for LPN'S? We have also considered Sarasota, Venice, Engleword or Port Charlotte. Any thoughts? All comments will be apprieciated. Thanks!
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2008, 04:39 PM

1,380 posts, read 5,567,963 times
The job market is not like it was but health care is still hiring
Search for health care jobs

Old 09-03-2008, 07:17 PM

7,511 posts, read 21,416,168 times
I live in North Port and love it! It's a growing city and most everything is new. There are some great deals right now, especially with the foreclosed property. Here's a list of some nursing jobs in the area- PortCharlotteSunHerald online recruitment classified ads I noticed there were a few openings for LPN's in Port Charlotte.

Old 09-04-2008, 12:25 AM

3,638 posts, read 6,513,284 times
Shannon, you forgot to mention there may be some nice new rental properties there soon too !!!

Old 09-04-2008, 05:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr&mrssunshine View Post
Shannon, you forgot to mention there may be some nice new rental properties there soon too !!!
Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that there's going to be a great new landlord. If you're looking for a place to rent, I'd call them

Old 09-04-2008, 09:40 AM

3,842 posts, read 9,940,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roese View Post
Hi everyone! My name is Angie and I am a nurse. My husband and I will be moving to this area in a month or two. Are there many oppurtunities for LPN'S? We have also considered Sarasota, Venice, Engleword or Port Charlotte. Any thoughts? All comments will be apprieciated. Thanks!
Nix Port Charlotte though you may be able to find employment at Peace River Memorial.
Look further north or south in the other areas you mentioned.
Port Charlotte is just run down & tacky.
There are nicer communitites in the area.
Good luck.

Old 09-04-2008, 04:37 PM

49 posts, read 292,755 times
Default thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoFLGal View Post
Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that there's going to be a great new landlord. If you're looking for a place to rent, I'd call them
I visited your website. Moderator cut: name . Still looking for 'the' realtor. As someone planning to move soon. Our likes are the fishing, the Beach and a good sports bar. How far are those things from North Port? Our fear are the 'frigin' Hurracanes. How much rain did North port get from the Hurricane before Gustav (not sure I spelled that correctly)? Has North Port ever been 'devastated' or is it far enough inland? I have many more questions if you don't mind I'll keep them coming. We want to make surre moving to Florida and North Port are good decisions. Why do people keep trashing Port Charlotte?

Steve

Last edited by Keeper; 09-05-2008 at 01:23 PM.. Reason: no realtor names please

Old 09-04-2008, 05:43 PM

First of all, I would definitely suggest that you come visit the area and see for yourself the different areas.

Sports bars in the area:
Harpoon Harry's on the water in Punta Gorda located about 15 minutes from NP
Gatorz in Port Charlotte 10 minutes from North Port
Sports City next to Coral Rock Cafe 10 minute drive
Boomer's in Port Charlotte 10 minute drive
Buffalo Wild Wings in North Port
Beef O' Brady's in North Port

The closest beaches are about 25 minutes from North Port.
You have Venice Beach the only beach along the coast that is actually on the mainland rather than a barrier island. Venice Municipal Beach is directly on the Gulf of Mexico, but the sand is hot due to the prehistoric fossilized shark’s teeth and other fossils. This ancient burying ground earned Venice the slogan of “The Shark’s Tooth Capital of the World.” Happy hunting. Many beach stores sell small mesh scoops to capture and sift through your finds. Closer to the airport in Venice is the quiet and more remote Casperson Beach. There is a long fishing pier here with Sharky’s restaurant.

Manasota Key Beach-a very narrow island where you can see both the Gulf of Mexico and the bay at the same time. A narrow ribbon of a road winds through the mostly residential and private island. Manasota Key Beach Road between Venice and Englewood provides the northernmost access to the narrow but beautiful beach.

Further south is Blind Pass Park, which has high beach walkovers and a boat ramp on the bay side. Just off Englewood on Manasota Key is Englewood Beach, completely remodeled with a giant signature seashell sculpture and roundabout. At the very southern end of Manasota Key is Stump Pass Beach, where you can enjoy the Gulf, but don’t swim in the pass-The current is very strong there.

Boca Grande on Gasparilla Island. Beautiful but small beaches are mainly south of the little town. There is a $4 toll to drive onto the island. There are a few marked public access points plus the smaller lighthouse beach and the large historical Boca Grande Lighthouse on the south end containing a museum of local history. This is a state park with a small fee for parking. You can pick up supplies in town. Again, be very careful about swimming near the Boca Grande Pass. This pass is the home of world-famous tarpon tournaments and you can watch sport fishermen haul in the big ones during tarpon season. The giant fish are then released to fight again.

Let's move on to fishing. The state park at the south end of Boca Grande is a great spot. There's a rock jetty at the end. Towards the bayside of on the south tip of the island is a large concrete pier. If you fish underneath it around the pilings you can catch some pretty nice grouper and snook.

Another place to try is the Venice Jetty's in downtown Venice. Go to the Venice public beach and turn right and follow it around to the county park where it dead ends at the rock jetty's. Stand on the rocks and throw out your line and you can catch mackerel, snook, redfish, etc.

In Englewood there is a state park at the end of Beach Rd. Go to Englewood Beach and turn left on Manasota Key and go to the end of the island. There is a state park with a big beach and you can fish the bayside or gulf side. Again, it's redfish, trout and snook primarily.

You need to get a free tide chart at one of the local tackle shops and fish the incoming and outgoing tides. When the tides are moving in and out is the best fishing because that's when the bait moves around and the fish bite better. Also buy a cheap book on Florida saltwater fishing and if you're from up north, don't fish with a pyramid sinker My recommendation would be to use a medium size spinning rod, live shrimp for bait and two all around good lures a 52MR mirror Lure is a great artificial bait and a #1 or #2 silver fishing spoon. The shrimp will cost you anywhere from $1.50-$2 per dozen and the artificial lures will cost under $5 a piece.

North Port has never had a direct hit from a hurricane, although we were pretty close with Charlie. Anywhere in Florida can have a direct hit at any time. The further inland you get the more land a hurricane has to travel over, the more it's going to loose it's power.

As far as Gustav goes, we got a little rain. Nothing worse than some of the afternoon rain showers. If you are in Florida hurricanes just become some what of a fact of life. You watch the weather, stay prepared with your supplies and if looks fierce got out of dodge!

I was born and raise in SW Florida and have never evacuated. Not saying I wouldn't if there was a real mean one coming but up until now I never have had to. Charlie turned its path in the last half hour and didn't give us a chance to evacuate or we probably would have. We were in North Port and got a lot of wind and rain from Charlie. My in-laws live in Port Charlotte and their home got very torn up.

I have also lived in Port Charlotte. Personally, I like North Port better. My main reason for moving was the school system and to have my children attend a certain school that required Sarasota county residency-to each his/her own. What might be a good fit for someone might not be the best fit for another and vice versa.

Hopefully I have answered most of your questions

Last edited by SoFLGal; 09-04-2008 at 05:52 PM..

Old 09-04-2008, 07:33 PM

3,842 posts, read 9,940,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roese View Post
Why do people keep trashing Port Charlotte?
As SoFLGal mentioned, you need to personally come & visit each of the areas. Sarasota, Venice, North Port, Port Charlotte & Punta Gorda are all completely different from one another. Each have their good & bad but what is good & bad to me may be bad & good to you.

You are picking the right area of FL is you are an avid fisherman, that is for sure.

Once you are in the areas a few times, you will get a feel for them.

It's hard to explain Port Charlotte. You just have to see for yourself.

No where in FL is safe from hurricanes. Obviously, the closer to the coast you live the stronger the impact of a hurricane. One just needs to be aware that when they are moving to an area that can be hit by a hurricane every season. Some seasons are worst than others. You are just prepared & apply common sense.

You really need to visit the area.

Old 09-05-2008, 05:40 PM

544 posts, read 1,374,637 times
When I was out in NP, it seems like how Parrish is with the new stuff and everything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area