Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2009, 08:46 AM

17,534 posts, read 39,126,512 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
my daughter and SIL have put in offer for house in Englewood Isles--their second one there----they are young 30s--no children yet--but they like the slightly seedy--"old" Florida look of Englewood--they do not want the cookie cutter developments were every third house looks exactly the same that you can find in spruced up Venice or Sarasoto or North Port
they are hoping that this area will gradually see drift of younger people w/families with the aging of the populace...
I like your description of the "slightly seedy - old florida look". I love that look myself, and have always lived in older neighborhoods. I am not in Englewood, but I have appreciation for the fact that a place such as this still exists in Florida, let alone this popular Gulf Coast. Anyone seeking a break from the hustle and bustle of the tourist areas should appreciate it, especially since it is but a short drive to the "action" if you will. I hope it always stays that way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2009, 09:19 AM

201 posts, read 611,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagardener View Post
Here's the horror: people are small-town nice, they stay out of your business but are happy to help when asked.
The traffic is horrible right now with tourists, mainly older, driving badly (in oh so many different ways).
There are fewer restaurants per square mile than I've ever seen on the east coast of the US. I heard someone say "If you want to go broke, open up a restaurant in Englewood."

Dearborn St. revitalization has been "coming" since 1930. And no one seems to care.

About the YMCA, I just quit my membership due to several things but lack of customer care is the biggest. They continue to play satellite radio without monitoring the content. The "F" word played several times. I'm no prude but it IS the YMCA and I don't play that stuff myself. The last time it was cranked up to migraine level and when I asked at the desk was given the "who cares" brushoff.

Lemon Bay is the best kept secret. If you or anyone starts a campaign to publicize it or the beaches I will hunt you down.

Houses here tend to be older. All the best spots near the water were built on long ago and not much updating has taken place. Old Florida with scruffy lawns, one car garages that have washers and dryers in them cause there's no room in the house.

So if you are unpretentious and don't mind parking your car in the driveway, not the garage, you don't go out to dinner, and you don't care that your neighbors boat or RV are ever present in their driveway or yard....come on down.
Thank you for that assessment, nothing there to turn us away other than we do like to go out to a local eatery on occasion. Unpretentious? We're covered there and mums the word re: Lemon Bay and the beaches.

Old 03-17-2009, 04:03 PM

363 posts, read 1,360,471 times
Some great restaurants:

Lock & Key (Manasota Key)
Compadres (Dearborn Street)
Mango Bistro (Dearborn Street)
Hungry Hound (Placida & 776)
Mama's (776)
Fishery (Placida Road)
Leverocks (Placida Road)
Barnacle Bills (Placida Road)
Waterside Cafe (Gasparilla Marina 775 at 771)
South Beach (Boca Grande)
Miller's Dockside (Boca Grande)
Temptation (Boca Grande)

I don't think any of these are gone, but these are all places that I go regularly with my mom and my three children (13 and under). Casual attire and good food!

Old 03-17-2009, 04:21 PM

Default Buyers are starting to bite...

I have three brand new homes surrounding me that were finished in 2006/7 and sat empty while they were priced originally for $639K, finally the price was dropped to $399,900, $399,900 and $429,900 and all have sale pending on them. Not sure what the seller finally accepted price wise.

I am in Rotonda/Englewood. Lots of buyers from the the UK around here. The sellers were from the UK too.

Old 03-17-2009, 07:08 PM

383 posts, read 1,024,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagardener View Post
Here's the horror: people are small-town nice, they stay out of your business but are happy to help when asked.
The traffic is horrible right now with tourists, mainly older, driving badly (in oh so many different ways).
There are fewer restaurants per square mile than I've ever seen on the east coast of the US. I heard someone say "If you want to go broke, open up a restaurant in Englewood."

Dearborn St. revitalization has been "coming" since 1930. And no one seems to care.

About the YMCA, I just quit my membership due to several things but lack of customer care is the biggest. They continue to play satellite radio without monitoring the content. The "F" word played several times. I'm no prude but it IS the YMCA and I don't play that stuff myself. The last time it was cranked up to migraine level and when I asked at the desk was given the "who cares" brushoff.

Lemon Bay is the best kept secret. If you or anyone starts a campaign to publicize it or the beaches I will hunt you down.

Houses here tend to be older. All the best spots near the water were built on long ago and not much updating has taken place. Old Florida with scruffy lawns, one car garages that have washers and dryers in them cause there's no room in the house.

So if you are unpretentious and don't mind parking your car in the driveway, not the garage, you don't go out to dinner, and you don't care that your neighbors boat or RV are ever present in their driveway or yard....come on down.
I have had to park my car in the driveway for the last 30 years or so and that's not a big deal, and I may have to park my boat out there too,when we get down to Englewood permenantly, but I really love this town,so no matter what anyone has to say,that's how I stand on the subject!

Old 04-05-2009, 03:43 AM

3,231 posts, read 7,464,029 times
Default Manasota key?

Hello everyone!

I'm currently living on the east coast of FL, in tiny little beach town just north of Fort Lauderdale. I've just rented a cute little house on Manasota Key. I'll be moving over on May 1st (it's an anual rental) and I'm really excited about it. I'll be directly on Lemon Bay. I was wondering if anyone has any info on what the summer population is like on the Key?

My parents have been wintering over there for several years from Maine. I fell in love with the area just last year. It's so much more laid back over there than here. While I love living directly on the beach over here, I'm really tired of living in a highrise. I'm anxious to be back in a nice quiet little neighborhood and to get to know some locals. I'm originally from a small town in Maine and have only been living in FL for the last 3 yrs.

So, does anybody have any info about the summer population over there on the Key? I see most of the rentals are seasonal. Even now during season, it still seems pretty quiet over there compared to here.

Thanks for your help!

Old 04-20-2009, 09:19 AM

2 posts, read 4,777 times
englewood and beautiful manasota key fall in the cracks of craigslist and many other searches because of the delineations.
(sarasota,brad, venice) or (naples,ft myers, cape coral)
which is why perhaps it has remained mainly unchanged ,uncrowded, and unspoiled- the "best kept secret" of those in the kmow.

i have lure renters here but then they come back year after year longer and longer because i have told them the truth about this quiet little simple paradise.

Old 04-21-2009, 04:36 AM

66 posts, read 282,779 times
Shhhhhh - don't share our secret!

Old 04-22-2009, 03:51 AM

3,231 posts, read 7,464,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anne1125 View Post
Shhhhhh - don't share our secret!

psssttt... I'm thinking the secret is out. I've seen more cars from Maine here than anywhere else in the state! But I won't tell another single soul!

Old 04-26-2009, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2peaches2oranges View Post
I have three brand new homes surrounding me that were finished in 2006/7 and sat empty while they were priced originally for $639K, finally the price was dropped to $399,900, $399,900 and $429,900 and all have sale pending on them. Not sure what the seller finally accepted price wise.

I am in Rotonda/Englewood. Lots of buyers from the the UK around here. The sellers were from the UK too.
Update: The one for $399K sold for $360K on Monday.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area