Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2008, 02:56 AM

544 posts, read 1,471,320 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by keihn View Post
Meltin John:
1: Parrish..........The rural, farming, dairy community cannot and will not ever get along with the new subdivisions (no matter how large the homes may be) being built in their domain. This is old family land and it wont be invaded.

2. Public dole (Ellenton).....Did not want to point fingers, but I will. The migrant population of Ellenton quadruppled(sp) when in 77 the Florida legislature began paying them unemployment and welfare for not working. Instead of going to the next job once the local was completed, they stayed in the area, took the taxpayers money while at the same time lived a life that wasn't compatible with the existing citizens. I'm being as nice as I can. I don't know what it's like now, but I imagine it's as bad or worse than then. Ellenton was always a laid back, quiet community with a moderate, middle class population. Palmetto also always had the 'bad' areas, but was manageable.

There are still areas of sparse population in Florida, but one must want a rural existance to live there. The last time we were there, I saw that Eastern Manatee county was still basically wide open and had not changed much from our time. When we moved from Ellenton, Parrish had a convenience store and a bar: period. Loved it!!

You can never go home again.

Wow this goes back as far as 77?
Anyways these subdivisions they build there is nothing but plastic neighborhoods. You either gotta be a young yuppy type with lil kids or some old and gray fuddy duddy type with the occasional rednecks in the subdivisions. If Parrish is a village, WTF are they building all that crap anyhow? Isnt a village supposed to mean something similar to monistary like land after all?? Like someplace youd find monks or Mr Miyagi lol.
Anyways, it doesnt matter anywhere you put me in South FL, the weather is gonna get to me after a bit after durations of being outside.
I recommend anyone to go north if they mention their coming to FL. Maybe Ill have luck swaying more ppl away lol. For me its because I care about others as I wouldnt wanna be steered wrong and theres those of you who want less people here also, well both sides win!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2008, 06:42 AM

16 posts, read 73,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackeyser View Post
I'm sorry the Mexicans, suburbanites and rednecks are too abundant in your...um....how do I put this, gently....um...SUBURB?

Good grief man! You've denigrated nearly the entire town! I don't think that's right.

I totally get if you don't dig those bergs. No town is for everyone (just ask ladywithafan or suncoastguy about Bradenton. They think the National Guard should be called out!).

I don't think that's a reason to indict the citizenry of anything bad, per se. Rather, you and the town may not be a good mix for any number of reasons. For listing Mexicans, suburbanites and Rednecks, I wouldn't dare venture a guess, so I'll leave you with that.

I'm buying in Ellenton and am happy to do so. I like both Bradenton and the towns north of the river.
First off I know your post was 3 months ago, but none the less

Your buying a house in ellenton why? In all honesty why on gods green earth would you want to buy a house in ellenton florida? It is the cemetery of our country

Its not a nice place to live and you know it.

To the original poster, I feel so bad for you that you have to live in that town
I know EXACTLY what you feel, in 2005 my mother and father were tired of the cold from up north and decided to move BACK to florida and some how we ended up in ELLENTON FLA (not really on purpose) but none the less that is where we ended up.

It was a NASTY town, Red necks, Old people, may not be much "crime" actually in "ellenton" but palmetto has TONS of crime and thats way to close for me

I have noticed something about florida, the people who live their are VERY strange people I mean for gods sake an AMAZING pizza place opened in parrish (elletnon/parrish samething) it was totally hip inside with flat screen TV'S and awesome feel, But no thats to "nice" of a place for the people in elletnon florida

the freakin guy is going out of business...?? why you may ask? the only answer is, the people are strange folks..

I have moved on now and left those wacked people to kill each other, I live in Irvine California the safest city in the united states

In this economy I am more than thankful I was even able to leave ellenton florida being how leaving florida depended on getting a 150k+ job and in this economy it didnt look to good.!

150K a year in ellenton I would be a king in CA you shouldnt move here unless you have a 100k+ job lol..

Old 11-30-2008, 12:44 PM

25 posts, read 89,052 times
Actually, I really like Ellenton. We closed on the house and had a very nice Thanksgiving, as I hope you all did as well.

It's laid back. We got a LOT of house for our money. Coming from SoCal, EVERYTHING is close to us with us being far enough away from the hustle and bustle that it's quiet.

I have nice neighbors and lots of kids in the neighborhood that my kids like to play with.

Every morning I wake up and look out over a smallish preserve (not a puddle or flood ditch, but an actual preserve) and see lots of water fowl.

So far, Ellenton is EVERYTHING we have hoped and more.

Btw, we just CAME from CA and hated it. I was born and raised there. I'm not paying $750k for a sub 1400sq ft house, nor would I consider moving out to the high desert to afford a home. Forget that mess.

Irvine? You're criticizing Ellenton for Irvine? Seems all you really wanted was a Dave and Buster's because the only difference between Irvine and Ellenton is the income of the residents. Which is fine if that's what you want. I've lived in the million dollar home neighborhoods and I just didn't enjoy it.

What's funny is that Ellenton and Irvine are pretty similar other than income.

Well, that and if I walk into a store just wearing jeans and a t-shirt here, I get helped. In Irvine, I'd die of inattention because I wasn't covered in logos like a NASCAR driver.

Just sayin'...

Old 12-13-2008, 04:35 AM

16 posts, read 73,723 times
Quote:
Actually, I really like Ellenton. We closed on the house and had a very nice Thanksgiving, as I hope you all did as well.

It's laid back. We got a LOT of house for our money. Coming from SoCal, EVERYTHING is close to us with us being far enough away from the hustle and bustle that it's quiet.

I have nice neighbors and lots of kids in the neighborhood that my kids like to play with.

Every morning I wake up and look out over a smallish preserve (not a puddle or flood ditch, but an actual preserve) and see lots of water fowl.

So far, Ellenton is EVERYTHING we have hoped and more.

Btw, we just CAME from CA and hated it. I was born and raised there. I'm not paying $750k for a sub 1400sq ft house, nor would I consider moving out to the high desert to afford a home. Forget that mess.

Irvine? You're criticizing Ellenton for Irvine? Seems all you really wanted was a Dave and Buster's because the only difference between Irvine and Ellenton is the income of the residents. Which is fine if that's what you want. I've lived in the million dollar home neighborhoods and I just didn't enjoy it.

What's funny is that Ellenton and Irvine are pretty similar other than income.

Well, that and if I walk into a store just wearing jeans and a t-shirt here, I get helped. In Irvine, I'd die of inattention because I wasn't covered in logos like a NASCAR driver.

Just sayin'...
The words Ellenton and Irvine should not even be used in the same sentence, I dont find ANY similarities what so ever in the two towns at all, Zero.

You drive down the road in Irvine and you see landscaped medians with colorful flowers and nice clean cars. You drive down the road in Ellenton and what do you see? Over grown grass and weeds waiting to be mowed by the state except it takes them 2 freakin months to mow, and jacked up pickup trucks with "Southern Pride" stickers pasted all over the truck. Add bums asking you for money at the off ramp of 301. No code enforcement what so ever.

I will say that Irvine has little in the way of entertainment except for spectrum, but thats fine. I'm only going to be living in the city of Irvine for another month or so, it's just temp. Cant have las vegas style living and be the safest city in America at the same time.

I mean for Gods sake I went to applebees, the one in Ellenton one time for to-go food and forgot something inside, ran back inside for 45 seconds and I came out to find my car was broken into and they stole my center console. I actually walked out while the dudes were still in my car!!! The class of people in Ellenton are total ZEROS! I mean how dumb do you have to be.

I drive a Bmw and wear dress shirts and I felt totally out of place in Ellenton FL. There is no employment in bradenton, no money to be made. No business to be conducted. Half of Ellentons residents are retired and have no money! Southern California is where it's at. More house for your money in Ellenton? Yes true, but so be it then Ill pay 200K more to match what I got for my money in Florida.

Last edited by Jon_2007; 12-13-2008 at 04:44 AM..

Old 12-18-2008, 08:01 PM

Default to each their own

See, I see Irvine as a totally yuppy wasteland of BMWs, lattes, and fake tans wrapped in IT jobs.

I've done that route and hated it. I certainly have no love for the "rebels" down here and I can understand that in these times, leavin a BMW open, even for a second, is too much of a temptation for some, but hey, I've had friends who drive Lambos, Ferraris, Rolls Royces and one had a Aston-Martin Vantage. All have stories of their BMWs and better being broken into and even in the best neighborhoods. Irvine isn't heaven, it's a burb with a decent standard of living, but nothing to do other than Spectrum and you have to drive a fair amount to do anything else. And considering most of that drive involves the 405 or some freeway featuring ingress or egress from the 405, that's bad. I lived near the 405 and it was just horrible.

I will agree that code enforcement here is an issue and some of that can be a problem.

Tell you what. Visit Santa Monica, Venice or even Huntington Beach. You'll see WAY more homeless and WAY more issues than you'll see in Ellenton or Palmetto.

Ultimately, you're looking for upscale. That's great.

I've had upscale. I HATED California because the price for all that "upscale" is a population composed mostly of vacuous, specious, label whores who won't talk to you unless you LOOK like you're money. Problem is that it doesn't much matter if you HAVE money, just look the look and talk the talk.

So when I'd go into a high end stereo store with thousands to spend, but in my weekend grubbies because I will never care about impressing people, I've actually been asked to leave. This for nice jeans and a white T-shirt. What's funny is that when I showed him the very expensive invitation from the manager who knew I was coming to SPEND thousands of dollars, he offered me an espresso and wanted to walk me to a private audition room. I said, "no thanks" and walked out. See, I could have worried about getting all dressed up to impress some high-end stereo clerk, but why? It's MY Saturday. I just couldn't live my life worrying all the time about how I'm dressed so I could figure out where I could go (and expect service).

I just got tired of the facade, the fake kindness (in LA, "have a nice day" equals the middle finger, just so you know), faux concern and often purposeful disingenuous of so many I met. It sure didn't help that I worked for folks "in the industry", both film and TV. I met some really nice folks there, but all of us felt like we had to be real "on the down low" because being real as a regular person was in invitation to disaster.

I realize folks here don't have much. I'm okay with that. I GAVE UP the million dollar home and all the "upscale" stuff to be with real people. And I've met a TON of nice folks here. My son has an awesome girlfriend, the kind of person who is a really good person. My kids have met kids who want to be their friends and don't shun them because they don't have the latest clothes and don't have the latest console game systems.

All I can say is that the facade that is Southern California is awfully enticing if that's the LOOK you're going for. And if the Latte Lifestyle is what you want, there probably isn't a better place to get it than Irvine, CA. So if you've found what pleases you, I'm happy for you.

I will just say that it was miserable for me. Other than my church, I really didn't like it at all. I want to be real with people and people to be real with me. Expecting that in So Cal would be like expecting the Pope to pole dance. I suppose it could happen, but it would just be so... OUT of character...

Be well all,
Mack

Old 12-19-2008, 09:18 AM

4,894 posts, read 14,134,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meltinjohn View Post
Parents who else lol. They decided they wanted to move out here and I wont truly know why. I know why but its like, really, why? The growth thats coming up in the area down the line intrigued them here is really why. BTW where you from?
My xh & I moved to Bradenton in '91. He was offered a position at Manateee Memorial. Originally from the same city as Eminem & have lived in Brooklyn, Queens & W. VA prior to landing in Bradenton. When we moved here, there were still cows taking up space by the Manatee County golf course and River Club was the hot "out east" development.
NTM I saw how good it can really be not too long ago when I went on a trip like I was being shown my future. Now that can be real hard to deal with once your back in the rut you were in after seeing something that good.
I liked Ellenton better before the outlet mall went up....gee now I sound like those old timers on AMI who said the only fast food establishment allowed on the island was to be Subway....lol..

Old 12-19-2008, 09:31 AM

Quote:
I'm sorry the Mexicans, suburbanites and rednecks are too abundant in your...um....how do I put this, gently....um...SUBURB?

Good grief man! You've denigrated nearly the entire town! I don't think that's right.

I totally get if you don't dig those bergs. No town is for everyone (just ask ladywithafan or suncoastguy about Bradenton. They think the National Guard should be called out!).
You just made my day!

I don't think that's a reason to indict the citizenry of anything bad, per se. Rather, you and the town may not be a good mix for any number of reasons. For listing Mexicans, suburbanites and Rednecks, I wouldn't dare venture a guess, so I'll leave you with that.

I'm buying in Ellenton and am happy to do so. I like both Bradenton and the towns north of the river.

Sorry it isn't workin out for you here. Hope it does wherever you find happiness.

I mean that.

I also mean it when I say that you don't go far disparaging others. Far better to emulate Will Rogers who said "I never met a man I didn't like" than to come from a position of "they (whoever 'they' is to you) are bad". "They" are rarely bad. Individuals can be bad.

Be well all,
Mack
Everyone sails their ship on a different course and if we were all on the trip, we'd have nothing to talk about!

My opinion on Bradenton is formed by my experiences which have run the gamut from riches to losses. You can search my previous posts if you're interested.

Again, I'm like the many who end up in Florida one way, life turns upside down & I find myself eyeballing the world a bit differenly from my present balcony. When I read/hear people say, they want to leave but can't afford to, I totally agree & understand that viewpoint. However, I'm not quite sure it's any greener anywhere else. I work for people who come to my place of business from all over the United States and I haven't heard much encouragement about the state of affairs anywhere...therefore, I sit back, regroup & realize, in the midst of such things, at least I can go to the gulf & take a time-out, swim or watch a sunset.

An old friend taught me, one catastrophe at a time.

Old 12-19-2008, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by keihn View Post
First, let me preface this by saying it was a long time ago when I lived in Ellenton. I worked at the power plant east of Parrish on 62. However, the wife and I have been back (last time about 2 years ago) and we've seen how the place has grown up. I truly don't want to be negative, but out Parrish way, it looks as though they've built new houses but left the pasture. Didn't look appetizing to us. Ellenton (old part Ellenton) is practically the same (we lived near the Gamble Mansion), but the new construction is so close to each other that I believe that you could touch next door by reaching out your window. But Ellenton is no match for building when compared to the North end of Anna Maria Island. Could not believe it.......can't even see the water from the road anymore.Having built my home in Holmes Beach on the bay when the code was strictly enforced re: roof heights & setbacks, it is unimaginable what has happened to the flavor of Anna Maria Island.

The demographics of Ellenton was so-so back then and I understand has gotten worse. Wont go into name calling, but when the folks on the public dole almost outnumber the working/retired folks, there's gonna be problems.

Old 01-05-2009, 04:01 PM

See, I'm cool with folks that don't jibe with a certain town. As my posts above indicate, I'm no fan of SoCal and have some pretty substantial criticisms regarding the area.

That said, I think it's about finding that place that helps you to fit, a place where you can breathe and live in some kind of harmony with your environment. For some, it's the hustle and bustle of the Big City, or the always moving, image conscious LA or the security and consistency of a planned development or the back roads that rural areas offer.

To each their own.

I fit here on the gulf. Others don't. I think as good as it gets is when folks can get to where they fit. I know in times like this, that is increasingly hard and that can lead to bad feelings.

Old 01-07-2009, 03:37 PM

30 posts, read 78,642 times
Amen Mackeyser, most people are as happy as they choose to be (saw that on a billboard somewhere)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area