Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2008, 12:30 AM

544 posts, read 1,471,709 times

Advertisements

By my experience, you can live in places your whole life, think you hate a town the most that you lived in when you were trapped in a winter, more desolate, and didnt live really all that close to things.
Then..you can come to these 2 towns and realize it just got worse.
Reason why...the country where they do not build homes much is more appealing due to the fact the houses stay older, you see much less of what you hate and it blows up in your face more once you hit Ellenton-Parrish and Palmetto I can throw in also. Mexicans, suburbanites, the abundance of rednecks with the more people factor than an even smaller town up north. My point is, youd think I would hate the littler towns in the dead of winter up north but nope, I actually dont hate them the most now that I seen a good deal of these towns with more abundance of everything I do not really dig. Id rather be the same distance from a bigger town only be a mile from my nearest neighbor which means I see nobody. Seeing nobody or a tiny bit of the thing you hate is better than seeing the things you hate most in the true flesh imo so even tho theres places closer, I'd still take a desolate more north small town with winters over this place with more old ppl, more mexicans, more suburbanite idiots, and rednecks. You got em all in one place!!! LOL. Well Palmetto has more of one.
I know some may love it.. but by my view, what for? Just to be suburbanized all the more and losing your true sense of self?
Only explanation to me.
Places that are ultra plastic looking get old fast.
I know some may think im crazy, but I even prefer Bradenton I swear.
From a social standpoint, Bradenton doesn't look so bad at all these days trying to stack it up next to Ellenton and Parrish lol.
Don't mean to sound like a prude to those who like it out this way, but just my views. This is probably one of the worst places I ever lived, wait it is the worst and I havent even been around here long lol. Private message me if you agree or post here whatever. I'm a nice guy whos trying to turn around his life but just in unfavorable location circumstances but maybe not for long also so I gotta keep my fingers crossed. You gotta see more places to know its totally not what you want sometimes. Ask more on how I got here if you wish even Ill entertain questions.

Last edited by meltinjohn; 09-05-2008 at 12:43 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2008, 08:57 AM

4,895 posts, read 14,138,002 times
How'd you get here?

Old 09-05-2008, 05:39 PM

Parents who else lol. They decided they wanted to move out here and I wont truly know why. I know why but its like, really, why? The growth thats coming up in the area down the line intrigued them here is really why. BTW where you from?
NTM I saw how good it can really be not too long ago when I went on a trip like I was being shown my future. Now that can be real hard to deal with once your back in the rut you were in after seeing something that good.

Old 09-11-2008, 10:17 AM

25 posts, read 89,087 times
I'm sorry the Mexicans, suburbanites and rednecks are too abundant in your...um....how do I put this, gently....um...SUBURB?

Good grief man! You've denigrated nearly the entire town! I don't think that's right.

I totally get if you don't dig those bergs. No town is for everyone (just ask ladywithafan or suncoastguy about Bradenton. They think the National Guard should be called out!).

I don't think that's a reason to indict the citizenry of anything bad, per se. Rather, you and the town may not be a good mix for any number of reasons. For listing Mexicans, suburbanites and Rednecks, I wouldn't dare venture a guess, so I'll leave you with that.

I'm buying in Ellenton and am happy to do so. I like both Bradenton and the towns north of the river.

Sorry it isn't workin out for you here. Hope it does wherever you find happiness.

I mean that.

I also mean it when I say that you don't go far disparaging others. Far better to emulate Will Rogers who said "I never met a man I didn't like" than to come from a position of "they (whoever 'they' is to you) are bad". "They" are rarely bad. Individuals can be bad.

Be well all,
Mack

Old 09-11-2008, 03:36 PM

As far as my distaste for the area, its not me saying I think everyone is bad at all. I just think those who pick this place dont always make the right choice and end up being around what will become this place. My reasons for not liking it is the fact its too far from things for the most part and the fact that each subdivision tries to make copies of Lakewood Ranch. It really is like a certain type of person belongs here.

Old 09-17-2008, 05:28 PM

3 posts, read 18,596 times
Default Ellenton-Parrish

First, let me preface this by saying it was a long time ago when I lived in Ellenton. I worked at the power plant east of Parrish on 62. However, the wife and I have been back (last time about 2 years ago) and we've seen how the place has grown up. I truly don't want to be negative, but out Parrish way, it looks as though they've built new houses but left the pasture. Didn't look appetizing to us. Ellenton (old part Ellenton) is practically the same (we lived near the Gamble Mansion), but the new construction is so close to each other that I believe that you could touch next door by reaching out your window. But Ellenton is no match for building when compared to the North end of Anna Maria Island. Could not believe it.......can't even see the water from the road anymore. The demographics of Ellenton was so-so back then and I understand has gotten worse. Wont go into name calling, but when the folks on the public dole almost outnumber the working/retired folks, there's gonna be problems.

Old 09-18-2008, 01:21 AM

If you mean they left the pasture meaning they are building a whole new area but mixing it with country meaning that the original residents might resent the new crowd. Thats what that sounds like to me.
I bet theres bad blood with the old vs the new.
What you mean by folks on the public dole?
I look at Ellenton as a truck stop nothing more. Place seems sucky overall. Its never good to be negative but this area can surely leave a sour taste. It makes Bradenton look better despite higher crime there.

Old 09-18-2008, 05:12 PM

162 posts, read 229,578 times
meltinjohn,
you are certainly an eloquent guy if nothing else......

Old 09-18-2008, 07:17 PM

3 posts, read 18,596 times
Default ellenton-parrish

Meltin John:
1: Parrish..........The rural, farming, dairy community cannot and will not ever get along with the new subdivisions (no matter how large the homes may be) being built in their domain. This is old family land and it wont be invaded.

2. Public dole (Ellenton).....Did not want to point fingers, but I will. The migrant population of Ellenton quadruppled(sp) when in 77 the Florida legislature began paying them unemployment and welfare for not working. Instead of going to the next job once the local was completed, they stayed in the area, took the taxpayers money while at the same time lived a life that wasn't compatible with the existing citizens. I'm being as nice as I can. I don't know what it's like now, but I imagine it's as bad or worse than then. Ellenton was always a laid back, quiet community with a moderate, middle class population. Palmetto also always had the 'bad' areas, but was manageable.

There are still areas of sparse population in Florida, but one must want a rural existance to live there. The last time we were there, I saw that Eastern Manatee county was still basically wide open and had not changed much from our time. When we moved from Ellenton, Parrish had a convenience store and a bar: period. Loved it!!

You can never go home again.

Old 09-19-2008, 02:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve1077 View Post
meltinjohn,
you are certainly an eloquent guy if nothing else......

Thanks, how do you notice it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area