U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2008, 03:12 AM

544 posts, read 1,345,485 times

Advertisements

Do people in Sarasota seem polite to you but at the same time, telling you to go **** yourself? I can say I have gotten those vibes in Sarasota specifically maybe even more than Bradenton.
I can simply just say these 4 words : St Pete is friendlier (and by a margin). The night life in Sarasota and clubs, the day life. It seems snottier a lot more in SRQ.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2008, 07:41 AM

15,926 posts, read 33,578,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meltinjohn View Post
Do people in Sarasota seem polite to you but at the same time, telling you to go **** yourself? I can say I have gotten those vibes in Sarasota specifically maybe even more than Bradenton.
I can simply just say these 4 words : St Pete is friendlier (and by a margin). The night life in Sarasota and clubs, the day life. It seems snottier a lot more in SRQ.
I depends where you are. It was far "snottier" when hubby and I lived there many years ago. We are in the process of moving back, and have found the people there to be completely different now, at least those we have been meeting. To me, the most "snobbish" area is Longboat Key. But everywhere else is pretty great. The neighbors in our neighborhood where we bought are the nicest we have ever had. This town has a GREAT vibe there now; and I admit we didn't like it before (we have been away for 11 years). Towns do change, some for the better and some not, and this one has reinvented itself big time. IMO, it's one of the best little cities in Florida.

Also, I will say that despite the increased crime in B-ton, I still like that town, too. It has a funky charm and a lot of nice people still live there. They are working on their downtown, too, and I LOVE the little Village of the Arts.

All in all, the whole area has a lot to offer - of course, JMO.

Old 09-23-2008, 09:02 AM

4,824 posts, read 12,971,545 times
It's getting warmer in SRQ as the economy freezes up....., just kidding....

Seriously, once you get into your groove here, you'll find wonderful people. I really haven't experienced the nose up in the air syndrome unless I'm giving off that vibe myself....as always, you get what you give.

Old 09-23-2008, 10:23 AM

960 posts, read 1,458,859 times
Comparing it to other small cities its size, yup it is cold.
You can find nice people here, but overall there is a chill.

Old 09-23-2008, 11:50 AM

3,412 posts, read 9,522,831 times
I haven't noticed, i see no reason why people would be mean/rude to me when i'm speaking to them, unless i'm rude myself.

It has to do alot with your attitude as well.
Be happy!

Old 09-23-2008, 02:28 PM

413 posts, read 1,147,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meltinjohn View Post
When we were investigating buying property in Florida, one of the main reasons we chose Sarasota was the friendliness of the people.
I agree with Shepsmom's post completely.

Old 09-23-2008, 02:55 PM

6,102 posts, read 13,729,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShepsMom View Post
I haven't noticed, i see no reason why people would be mean/rude to me when i'm speaking to them, unless i'm rude myself.

It has to do alot with your attitude as well.
Be happy!
I agree with you too. I say "hi" and talk to everyone while I'm out and about. Maybe it is just because I grew up in a small town, and everyone I knew was that way. Just very friendly. I probably put myself out there too much, but that's me. I don't have some of the guarded boundaries that many people have. People are not used to that though. I have an expression when people ask me how I am - usually people are taken back by my response to that as well.

Usually, people react well, but sometimes people don't, and I expect that it is not because they are rude, they just may have something on their mind that may be troubling them for some reason. They may have a real problem, and you are totally unaware. You never know, but it does not hurt to give them the benefit of the doubt. I really cost you nothing to view things from a positive vantage, and it may turn their perspective around. You may brighten someones day, just by saying "hi", and listening if they need an ear. Again - it costs nothing - not a dime. You may make a friend - what is that worth, a whole lot more than 10 cents.

Old 09-23-2008, 07:46 PM

544 posts, read 1,345,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbondated View Post
Comparing it to other small cities its size, yup it is cold.
You can find nice people here, but overall there is a chill.

You hit it.
I feel to a degree people can be nice but is a chill around there, it sure is and its heavier than St Pete.

Old 09-24-2008, 09:07 AM

142 posts, read 552,881 times
Default vibes vary

I've been gauging the feel of Sarasota and every city as I visit them.

Once in a while I got a snob attitude in Sarasota out at the former Morton's Gourmet shop in Lakewood Ranch. I shrugged it off because I love the upscale stores and figure that sometimes goes with the territory.

But, overall, I find the people to be nice and friendly in Sarasota. There seems to be a relaxed "c'est la vie" quality to the place and I find a lot of people, just strangers, seem to be open, friendly, artsy, gentle and intelligent. There is a certain vibe peculiar to Sarasota that is nice.

Old 09-24-2008, 11:11 AM

4,824 posts, read 12,971,545 times
I'm feeling the good vibes from SRQ and it just keeps getting better....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area