Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2008, 07:21 PM

1,938 posts, read 6,261,635 times

Advertisements

I work at AVE MARIA PREP School in Sarasota and we service all kids K-20 with any type of disability. Our school consists of only 60 kids, We have very small class sizes (5-8 kids) and can offer individual help easily. We also have a number of breaks and are very lenient. There are no behavioral problems at all..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2008, 07:14 AM

35 posts, read 202,728 times
oobie119, Thanks for your message about Ave Maria Prep School. I looked them up on the web and they sound wonderful! If we do get to move to Sarasota,we will definitely look into this school for our daughter. I think it would be great for her. We don't have anything like that here in NH.

Old 01-06-2009, 05:46 PM

385 posts, read 1,159,180 times
Just wanted to say Pinnacle in Lakewood Ranch is working out wonderfully for our little guy. Thanks everyone for all your input. And as sad as it was to leave California, it's great to be home!

Old 04-08-2009, 07:19 PM

5 posts, read 8,622 times
Our 11 year old daughter has nonverbal learning disorder and we are looking at schools in the Sarasota/Bradenton area that specifically address this challenge. We have read a lot about the Pinnacle Academy - Ave Maria Prep and Dreams are Free. I am traveling to the area in the next few weeks with her to visit these schools to determine if relocating to Sar/Brad will offer her better educational and theraputic services than she can receive where we currently live. Most learning disability schools in our area are (1) boarding; (2) too expensive and (3) geared more towards those students with verbal/language disabilities.

We like that fact that these schools appear to go through 12th grade. Also impressed with the CLE program for post-HS education - should we be lucky enough to have her enthusiastic about continuing her education.

Florida seems to be one of the states ahead of the curve when addressing the needs of these students --

Old 04-09-2009, 06:09 AM

I wouldn't say the state is addressing much of anything. The schools you have mentioned are all private, and we are very fortunate they are all within driving distance.

How is your daughter communicating right now? What kind of system do you have in place? I think Oobie & I can give you some input on Pinnacle & Ave Maria. I haven't heard anything about Dreams are Free, but I think it is wonderful you will be coming down to tour the schools to find your daughter a more compatible education.

Old 04-09-2009, 01:17 PM

Nonverbal Learning Disorder (NVLD/NLD): (the following definition taken from SchoolBehavoir.com): "People with NLD have difficulty processing nonverbal, nonlinguistic information, yet they may be very good at processing verbal information. They often fail to monitor the reactions of a listener. Frequently, they are excessively verbal and expressive. They depend on verbal input, verbal mediation, and verbal self-direction in order to function. They may talk a great deal, yet use words in a narrow, rigid way. Other behaviors affecting communication and social interactions include interrupting people, perhaps by speaking out of turn or by moving back and forth between people engaged in conversation, standing too close, or touching too much. Consequently, other people may choose not to interact with them, may avoid them, or may even ostracize them. Individuals of all ages may exhibit characteristics of NLD. The reactions of others tend to leave them feeling isolated, lonely, and sad."

So - she communicates verbally -- very verbally -- but has difficulties with comprehension, reading non-verbal or "body" language. It is believed that at least 60-90% of what we learn is via nonverbal communication - so if someone with NLD cannot "read" these nonverbal cues (be it in school, emotionally or socially) they are going to be at a great disadvantage. Unless they are taught in a manner in which they can comprehend and retain the information being presented.

Because she is so verbal - many people believe her to understand/comprehend much more than she actually can because she is unable to interpret things like facial expressions, eye contact, posture, hand, feet and body movements - as it may relate to how someone or something is attempting to react/respond/communicate with her.

For example, our daughter reads orally at a 7th-8th grade level - but only comprehends what she read at a 3rd-4th grade level.

Old 04-09-2009, 01:41 PM

Interesting.... after looking over Dreams Are Free, it appears they may be a good fit- except for the fact they only educate up to age 14. I think it would be difficult for any child to be uprooted after they had just gotten settled in. I wonder if they plan on extending the program in the near future?

Old 04-09-2009, 04:03 PM

angelfish -- thanks for your input. I do have an appointment at Pinnacle Academy (including an evaluation) on one of the mornings that we will be in Florida - they were directly told that Cat has been diagnosed with NVLD so I would like to think that if they didn't know about this disorder or do not have curriculum/skill building in place to address her issues that they would have told me to look elsewhere.

Now that we have that appointment solidified, I intend to make appointments at Ave Maria and Dreams are Free (again, thanks for your perspective). I know that I will be able to tell when I find the right place.

Really weird how all of this has transpired and in such a short period of time -- like being guided to the right place. We currently live in Maine and until recently had no intentions of moving/relocating...everything happens for a reason...

Old 04-09-2009, 04:31 PM

10 posts, read 20,061 times
Pinnacle Academy is amazing.

Old 04-09-2009, 07:22 PM

thank you, pedsdoc, for your comment...hopefully the evaluation that Cat has will substantiate her need for their services and that they will have an opening for her
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area