Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2008, 03:27 PM

23 posts, read 93,826 times

Advertisements

We are relocating from NJ to NP. We'll be down next week to check out the area. According to my research the elementary and middle schools are all grade "A" (we have two kids: 8, 11), so no neighborhoods are out of the question. Like everyone else, have a smaller budget and would like to get the most bang for our buck, given that...where in NP would you buy a home? Which are the better areas? Which do we want to avoid? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2008, 03:46 PM

6,103 posts, read 15,088,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shink113 View Post
We are relocating from NJ to NP. We'll be down next week to check out the area. According to my research the elementary and middle schools are all grade "A" (we have two kids: 8, 11), so no neighborhoods are out of the question. Like everyone else, have a smaller budget and would like to get the most bang for our buck, given that...where in NP would you buy a home? Which are the better areas? Which do we want to avoid? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
SoFLGal and Carbondated know more about North Port than anyone. You should also seek out SoFLGal's web site. Google Tropical Florida Property and you can find a link to her website. You're not supposed to link to web sites. That is not what I did, so I hope this is acceptable. If not it will likely be deleted.

Old 10-14-2008, 04:12 PM

7,511 posts, read 22,922,074 times
Thanks Bighouse!

shrink113-You might also want to check into The Imagine School North Port. I believe the school runs through middle school currently. I was a little leery of the school since it just opened this year and thought it might have some growing pains. Everyone I have talked to has been extremely pleased so far. I plan on sending my little one there next year until she goes to Pine View (hopefully)-she will be starting kindergarten.

My older two children go up to Osprey for school to Pine View School for the Gifted. It's a great school and has grades 2nd-12th. It's about a 35 minute bus ride from North Port and you must pass a test to get in.

If you are looking at elementary Schools in North Port you would want to check out Cranberry and LaMarque. I hear really good things about both.

The choices for middle are Heron Creek or the brand new Woodland. You can also put in for school choice if you aren't in the school district that you want but there is no guarantee that you'll get that school. You might want to check out greatschools dot com for opinions on these schools.

It really depends what you like as far as area. Do you like to have more of a neighborhood feel or more nature-vacant lots around you. If like like the neighborhood type feel you should stick between Sumter Blvd and Toledo Blade, this area is more densely populated. If you like less neighbors the go around East Price Blvd.

There are lots of homes out there for around 100K +/-.

Good luck with your search and welcome to town

Old 10-15-2008, 11:54 AM

338 posts, read 1,012,373 times
Hi, I'm an old Jersey Girl (been living in Fl since 1981) and I recently moved to NP. We live off San Mateo south of Price and really like this area. It's not too built up but it's not one house right after the other either. What we like best is how close we are to shopping, restaurants,and a nice mall. Only a few miles away, yet we don't see or hear any of it from our neighborhood. Right now there are such great deals on nice size family homes I'm sure you will find what you want.Good luck and welcome!

Old 10-15-2008, 12:48 PM

Default Thanks for the info...

Just curious though, do any of these neighborhoods have names? Where I live now, each development has a name and I could do an mls search by that name. Is it similar down there? If so, what are some development names I should consider moving to?

Old 10-15-2008, 02:57 PM

1,380 posts, read 5,928,993 times
The majority of North Port was platted years ago by General Development. There are about 69,000 platted lots in what is now the city of North Port. So things are a bit different in North Port as far as named sections.

There are several golf course communities in North Port;
Heron Creek
Sabal Trace
Bob Cat Trail

You can do searches by zipcodes - 34291,34289,34288,34287,34286

Old 10-15-2008, 08:23 PM

7,511 posts, read 22,922,074 times
Most of the neighborhoods in NP are referred to by the major street they run off of. For instance Chamberlain, Cranberry, Sumter neighborhoods. We do have subdivision names here but most people don't know the names. It's not like a typical subdivision except for a few that FLBob mentioned.

Old 10-16-2008, 06:22 AM

Default What about these areas?

Ok, going through the mls, I found several house that look very nice. They are on:

Blitzen, Nantucket, Swartburg, Huntington, Atwater, McLues and Gratlyn.

Anyone leave on or near any of these streets and can give me more info on the areas? Such as...

1. Are they safe/safer areas
2. Lots of kids in the area
3. Close enough to walk to school
4. Any other info we may want to know

Old 11-19-2008, 06:08 AM

7 posts, read 39,279 times
Salford Boulevard is right down the rd. from the police station and hospital...

Old 01-10-2009, 08:36 AM

40 posts, read 102,054 times
North Port is such a young city (celebrating 50 years in 2009) there are really no "bad" areas. We are in our seventies and have retired here. Love it. My wife went to the library to teach English as a second language and met a delightful young Polish family with a three-year-old daughter.

In the older parts there are smaller homes owned by "snowbirds" who come from the north for our warm winters. Some sections are more isolated than others. Write or call or go to the city hall planning department and I think you can get a list of about 40 named neighborhoods. But as someone said, we largely identify our section of the city by explaining which major streets are near.

As previously noted by someone above, General Development Corporation (now defunct) created the city by selling lots for $10 down and $10 a month starting in the 1950s, and the owners now live all over the world. I've been told some have never seen their vacant lots.

North Port is a sprawling city that consists of 102 square miles, as I recall, and it is still just about one third "built out" so you can find almost anything you want. I live about four miles from an I-75 exit (Sumter) and find that convenient. We have wild turkeys, deer, hawks and shore birds wandering around our area. Very peaceful place for us. Eating our meals outdoors on our screened-in lanai as the sun goes down behind a grove of pines and palms makes it truly special.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area