Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2007, 07:47 AM

3 posts, read 25,009 times

Advertisements

Being sick and tired of the cold, my husband and I have decided to head south to Sarasota. All the people I have spoken with have said it's a wonderful place to visit and live.

I could still use some information.

(1) I have yet to win Powerball, so I need a nice area that has houses around the $150k - $200k (or a bit more) range. We'll probably rent for 6 months to a year first, so I will also take nice areas for apartments that aren't too pricy as well.

(2) We're planning on visiting there in May, but unfortunately that will not be enough time to truly get to know Sarasota. All towns have VERY pricy sections, and sections that are referred to as "The Ghetto" -- please be very brutally honest with me, and just straight up tell me where the ghetto is and what places to avoid.

I can take street areas to avoid or go to, or sort by zip code, or whatever, I'll find it somehow

(3) ANY other information you plan on throwing in will be appreciated -- I've been researching non stop for weeks now, but there's no research like somebody who's lived there. If you feel like e-mailing me (EBgrimes@Charter.net) with your life story in Sarasota, GO FOR IT.

If you are a realtor or someone in the Apartment business, feel free to contact me, I'll take whatever you have - just know that it will probably be a year before we move (gotta save money and all... although I'm still holding out for Powerball)

I will do my absolute BEST to return this favour by going to the North Carolina section of these forums and give all the advice I can.

THANK YOU!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2007, 08:25 AM

17,534 posts, read 39,131,539 times
DH and I lived in Sarasota for 17 years - STRUGGLING BADLY, and moved away 10 years ago before it boomed even more and became as expensive as California. You will not find anything in your price range in the city of Sarasota. You can get a teeny house in one of the subdivisions to the east in the mid 200s but check out the TAXES AND INSURANCE and see if you can afford this - outrageous! And if you have to work, well there are no jobs there. DH had to commute to Tampa (one and a half hours) for a job, I couldn't find employment at all.

Sarasota is a beautiful place to visit, but there is no middle class there at all, trust me on this. You would be better off in Manatee County to the north (Bradenton) but even here it is expensive and no jobs. Depends on your situation. You may wish to check out other areas of Florida.

Good luck!

Old 01-17-2007, 08:50 AM

17,005 posts, read 12,592,213 times
My parents live in Bradenton. Yes on a golf course. They bought in 1989. A house just sold just like theirs down the street for 420K. This is an 1800 SF 3/2. Yes this is down from the peak near 500K. I remember last year during the boom my father said his house was worth a half mill and thinking to myself. This aint no stinkin half million dollar house.

Ghettos I know of. Immediately around the Tropicana plant in Bradenton. A lot of hit and miss areas along US41 from Manatee to south of the Airport. Especially the East side of the road. Literally hit and miss. Good neighborhood, bad neighborhood, Good neighborhood, bad neighborhood,Good neighborhood, bad neighborhood, Parts of Oneco.

Bradenton may be expensive but its cheaper than Sarasota.

Be VERY careful. Plan on ****min**** $200 a month for hurricane insurance! Thats roughly what my parents pay. They are near I75 WAY inland.

Old 01-17-2007, 09:05 AM

3 posts, read 25,009 times
I think I should be more specific, hehehe. First and foremost, THANK YOU for your replies

When I say "nice" -- I mean not in the ghetto or a sketchy part of town. A reputable part of town, hehehe. I don't need big, hell, the apartment we're in now probably isn't 1000 square feet and it's PLENTY -- it's a two bedroom, and it's just two of us. We'll have two full time salaries so we should be good.

I'd also be open to just doing a condo. I don't like a lot of space because it's more to clean and we just don't need it. I just want to own something eventually.

I guess I could just start out with where a nice area to live is. Again, nice not meaning "expensive", but calm, quiet, and reputable.

Oh, what is SRQ? TOTAL NEWBIE!

Old 01-17-2007, 09:45 AM

523 posts, read 2,830,147 times
Manatee County , Sarasota County is one of the most expensive in Florida now. You would be better off driving 30 mins north interstate 75 to apollo beach, Riverview, Brandon to find better cost of living in housing. My Niece just bought a home in Palmetto close to Bradenton and sarasota very expensive 400 thousand for 2000 sq home. Taxes are 3 times other counties near by. Apts, well My other neice got 2 bdrm on hwy 64 bradenton exit, 1500 month. Too expensive for normal working people here. unless you are getting job making 80 grand a yr.

Old 01-18-2007, 09:11 AM

4,895 posts, read 14,140,308 times
Default Srq....

...call letters by airport abbreviation....

Like everyone else said, it's rough going in Sarasota/Manatee counties right now....have a job settled before you come and expect the worst in property insurance.

You'd be better off to rent for a year & see if you like it. There are not many jobs that will pay your mortgage here. Sorry to seem so bleak. This is a retirement/vacation zone....as much as Lakewood Ranch is touted as the solution to Manatee County, it's not...they'r b*tching right now about saftey over there and even they can't keep the child abducters outside the gates....there was an incident last Friday...and now they want to cover it up to make the Ranch look safer...it's not. Bradenton/Sarasota used to be wonderful and very safe...it's gone to crack!

Lived here since 1991 and really miss what this area used to be...

Old 01-18-2007, 01:13 PM

3 posts, read 13,374 times
Default dont move to Sarasota

lthough the housing market is coming down very quickyl, you are not going to find much more than a nice condo for 200 thousand range!

Old 01-18-2007, 01:25 PM

17,005 posts, read 12,592,213 times
City Seacrher is correct about the true city of Bradenton limits. BUT "Bradenton" is what you put in for city when you send mail to those east/north east areas.

Old 01-18-2007, 02:52 PM

1 posts, read 7,343 times
I live in Downtown MIami, and realized the scene is not me...is Sarasota known for there restaurants, small, romantic, personable, restaurants where who you are doesn't mean everything...Can you give me some pointers of where to go. I am in the restaurant industry and am looking for a great restaurant to work at...thanks for your help.

Old 01-23-2007, 07:51 PM

19 posts, read 53,683 times
For 150K to 200K I recommend Janie Poe Drive, I believe HUD is who you contact for a home there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area