U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-24-2007, 07:19 PM

128 posts, read 368,021 times

Advertisements

Help! Would love some advice- - We are young in our mid 50s and can retire or as my husband and I say "do something different than corporate life!"
We came to Sarasota several years back and loved it!! We bough a very small condo on LBK which we are selling shortly because of cost.
We currently live in freezing NJ and both of us cannot stand cold weather!!
The only problem we are having with Sarasota is that the home prices are riduculous- - we were looking for a 2500 sq ft newer house with a pool and most of them are 500K and up. Those are NJ prices. Factor in taxes, hurricane insurance, we are not sure if we can get in the market. We do love the environmental greeness of the area, especially Whole Foods and other holistic things.
We also have friends who moved to Austin (I am not a fan of Texas!!) to conservative and non-green, however our friends tell us Austin is beautiful, liberal lot of things to do and green from an environmental perspective. Also, housing and cost of living is much better.

Wondering if anyone has lived in both places- - can think of any other places that we could look at. Thanks so much!
Sandy
g

Last edited by sandyart; 02-24-2007 at 07:21 PM.. Reason: spelling
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2007, 08:42 PM

15,957 posts, read 33,692,062 times
In a nutshell, DH and I lived in Sarasota, and I don't recommend it - too old and stodgy besides being ludicrously expensive and a lot of weird attitudes. Not going to elaborate more, because I have done so in past posts on this forum. If you want Florida, I recommend St. Pete - now that is a nice town.

Never lived in Austin, but have heard great things about it. It sounds much more vibrant and affordable with more "real" type people. But I guess one would need to go there and feel the place out before making a decision. Good luck!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area