Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2007, 05:23 PM

458 posts, read 598,472 times

Advertisements

The last poster is right, the crime index shows that Bradenton is not an overall high crime area. There is a portion that has lots of property crime. But overall its crime rates are about average for a city its size. And there are plenty of gated communities if someone is worried about property crime.

Someone said crime is under reported. Well it would be under reported everywhere, not just in Bradenton. That means those city data stats are a good tool to compare cities.

Old 03-04-2007, 07:05 PM

2,227 posts, read 8,211,940 times
exactly... it's not like bradenton is the only town to "under report" or mislead about crime stats. i heard the same thing when i lived in nc.

Old 03-04-2007, 07:19 PM

656 posts, read 1,374,635 times
If you want accurate muder stats contact the medical examiner. They sign the death certificates on all murders.

Old 03-05-2007, 01:51 PM

4,894 posts, read 14,134,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floridan34210 View Post
Why don't you get a "FREAKIN" GRIP", MikeB1226. Bradenton is AWFUL, it sucks. What more do you want me to do. Cape Coral has gangs issues, but NOT ON THE SOUTHEAST SIDE!!! You guys are getting mad at me because I speak truth. Why don't you all "GET A GRIP!" Face reality. Bradenton isn't a goody-good town anymore. Get used to it.
Bradenton has seen better times but as someone who's lived here since 1991....I must say this...it's beautiful out near the beach, but boring....it looks like anywhere else in the world when you're in town, with slums, border areas, etc....it's gotten very expensive on the whole but depending on what kind of lifestyle you like....it can be your cup of tea.....

Clay was kidnapped in Manatee County. We have had a number of murders in the past few years that are pretty unbelieveable...most involve crack like other cities, we can't be the only one with this terrible problem...we even have addicts calling the police to report their money stolen & no drugs received....only in Bradenton, I sometimes think....but, it has gotten worse but compared to what, I'm not sure...I haven't lived anywhere else for the past sixteen years....

We have beautiful beaches on Anna Maria Island...but that's not "Bradenton" and the crime on the island is all about drugs being delivered & intercepted....Hate to tell ya but that's the reality of the island....it just doesn't get published......lots of cover ups....

I wouldn't get as dramatic as 34210 about it.....mental help, after living here, I'm sure I need it....but again, it's just another city....that's why a lot of things moved East....they think they can't be touched out in the ranches...well, crime has unfortunately found it's way out to Lakewood as well, funny thing, it's their own bored teenagers committing a lot of the atrocities...

Old 04-05-2007, 12:59 PM

14 posts, read 65,651 times
Manatee County/Bradenton has been my home for 25 years and this area has always been notorious for high/violent crime. Crack has always been a major issue here. There are tons of unsolved murders, lots of burglaries, robberies, kidnappings, rapes, car jackings. Every night, I hear gunshots. Yesterday there was breaking news. Two guys were seen breaking into a home by an off duty officer and had a chase/shootout in broad daylight near an Elementary school, wounding the officer and they have yet to be caught. It's the first quarter of the year and there are already 10 violent homicides. That's a lot for the population. Everywhere I go, I see homeless people, prostitutes, drug dealers, ugly grafitti, gang bangers. There are many active gang sets here. Just the other day, members from the SUR13 gang wounded a rival thug and killed another. Just a couple of weeks ago, 9 of the areas most violent gang leaders/members got taken down and the crime is still surging. There's 3 or more high profile murder trials this year. In each unrelated case, these men happened to kill off their whole family in one go, heh. One guy even performed sexual acts on his own mother's corpse. Wow.

A few recent headlines:

"Boy kidnapped in broad daylight at bus stop"
"Shots fired into occupied dwelling"
"Man wounded, another dead"
"One man wounded, another dead, gang related"
"Prostitution sting nets 20"
"Holmes Beach cop shot during Bradenton burglary"
"Shootout between two cars, nearby officer fired apon"
"Man Arrested Shortly After Strong Arm Robbery"
"Shooting Into Occupied Dwelling Reported"
"Bradenton shooting kills one"
"Four arrested, one charged with attempted murder of deputy"
"Police look into gunshots fired at vehicle"
"Suspect charged in fatal shooting over drugs"
"Bank robbery, suspect at large"
"Attempted bank robbery, man charged"
"Four robbers hit CVS Pharmacy"
"Man gets 10 year term for robbery, fleeing from poilce"
"Cash, crack, marijuana netted in arrest"
"Sex offender to be featured on America's Most Wanted"
"Home invasion suspect shot"
"Two suspects rob woman at her house"
"Task force nabs suspect in multiple robberies"
"High speed chase ends with wreck"
"Angry patron drives forklift through storefront"
"Unsolved killings stymie police"
"Body discovered in creek identified"

That's not all of the headlines as of late, either. That's just the ones I found by doing research for 5 minutes.

Sure, every town/city/county has crime. But for people to say that Manatee/Bradenton doesn't have a major crime problem, that's just not true. I will say.... the crime is mostly in the center of Bradenton and on eastward from there. West, Northwest and far Eastern Manatee county is very nice and sees little crime.

Old 04-05-2007, 05:41 PM

59 posts, read 88,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DementeD View Post
Manatee County/Bradenton has been my home for 25 years and this area has always been notorious for high/violent crime. Crack has always been a major issue here. There are tons of unsolved murders, lots of burglaries, robberies, kidnappings, rapes, car jackings. Every night, I hear gunshots. Yesterday there was breaking news. Two guys were seen breaking into a home by an off duty officer and had a chase/shootout in broad daylight near an Elementary school, wounding the officer and they have yet to be caught. It's the first quarter of the year and there are already 10 violent homicides. That's a lot for the population. Everywhere I go, I see homeless people, prostitutes, drug dealers, ugly grafitti, gang bangers. There are many active gang sets here. Just the other day, members from the SUR13 gang wounded a rival thug and killed another. Just a couple of weeks ago, 9 of the areas most violent gang leaders/members got taken down and the crime is still surging. There's 3 or more high profile murder trials this year. In each unrelated case, these men happened to kill off their whole family in one go, heh. One guy even performed sexual acts on his own mother's corpse. Wow.

A few recent headlines:

"Boy kidnapped in broad daylight at bus stop"
"Shots fired into occupied dwelling"
"Man wounded, another dead"
"One man wounded, another dead, gang related"
"Prostitution sting nets 20"
"Holmes Beach cop shot during Bradenton burglary"
"Shootout between two cars, nearby officer fired apon"
"Man Arrested Shortly After Strong Arm Robbery"
"Shooting Into Occupied Dwelling Reported"
"Bradenton shooting kills one"
"Four arrested, one charged with attempted murder of deputy"
"Police look into gunshots fired at vehicle"
"Suspect charged in fatal shooting over drugs"
"Bank robbery, suspect at large"
"Attempted bank robbery, man charged"
"Four robbers hit CVS Pharmacy"
"Man gets 10 year term for robbery, fleeing from poilce"
"Cash, crack, marijuana netted in arrest"
"Sex offender to be featured on America's Most Wanted"
"Home invasion suspect shot"
"Two suspects rob woman at her house"
"Task force nabs suspect in multiple robberies"
"High speed chase ends with wreck"
"Angry patron drives forklift through storefront"
"Unsolved killings stymie police"
"Body discovered in creek identified"

That's not all of the headlines as of late, either. That's just the ones I found by doing research for 5 minutes.

Sure, every town/city/county has crime. But for people to say that Manatee/Bradenton doesn't have a major crime problem, that's just not true. I will say.... the crime is mostly in the center of Bradenton and on eastward from there. West, Northwest and far Eastern Manatee county is very nice and sees little crime.
Plus wasn't there a gang shootout at the Desota Mall or Desoto Mall, whatever it's called) last weekend? Point Proven. Bradenton is BAD!! This is real life in Bradenton now! For you who say that there is no crime, check the facts, or the Bradenton Herald!

Old 04-05-2007, 05:45 PM

2,313 posts, read 3,189,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by backtofla View Post
a few mentions of bradenton and it's crime floating about on here, so i looked it up. of course bad things can and will happen everywhere, and according to citydata.com, there were only 3 murders in bradenton. 1 is too many, but 3 for a town of over 50k ppl isnt like it's as bad as someone on here is trying to point out.
I think you have to look different places. I kind of like this one and I usually check it.

Moderator cut: linking to competitors sites is not allowed

It puts the crime pretty high.

Last edited by Yac; 01-08-2008 at 06:52 AM..

Old 04-05-2007, 07:00 PM

17,533 posts, read 39,105,017 times
Yes, Bradenton and Sarasota have almost 3 times the national average crime rate. I do believe most of it happens in certain sections of the city. When I lived in Sarasota, I lived downtown, and it was super-duper high crime - we were the victims of many. What most people don't realize is that there are a LOT, and I mean a LOT of undesirables and transients floating around these towns - I guess because they are resort towns, bums and crooks are drawn there.

I am sure these towns probably have their safe areas, but it's something to investigate before moving there.

Old 04-05-2007, 10:39 PM

14 posts, read 65,651 times
The funny thing is, I don't plan on leaving. I love my life here, even though things are a bit crazy. It's just the way things are, in these parts. I'm used to it. I don't get caught up in anything. I refuse to let the crime force me out of my hometown.

Heh. *shrugs*

Old 04-06-2007, 07:40 AM

489 posts, read 2,014,593 times
Having someplace be a vacation spot hardly makes it The Garden of Eden, please. An ad campaign can be done for anywhere, and people can vacation anywhere, but that doesn't make it a safe place. It is called tourism, and the tourism business depends on distorted stats or news reporting. City Data isn't the Chamber of Commerce for every city in the country so their stats are going to be more accurate. They were about this city. We have under-reporting here such as I have never seen.

I will never understand why everyone on the FL boards get so worked up. Why can't everyone just state their point or opinion respectfully and just agree to disagree with some measure of courtesy? If you love where you live, great! If you don't, fine. There is no reason for us all to constantly argue and insult each other.

Last edited by FedUpInFtMyers; 04-06-2007 at 07:44 AM.. Reason: one more thing
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area