Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2007, 01:09 PM

4,894 posts, read 14,136,591 times

Advertisements

During my apt. hunting in Sarasota...yesterday...I started looking at somewhat really cheap (in my opinion) efficiencies "close" to downtown Sarasota...$550 & $700. The $700 was at least an apt. bldg. with a big fence around it....but it had people with their door wide open playing their stereo loud...

It's not summer yet...so...I decided that would not be for me...

Number 2 was painted peach, the bottom unit of an up/down duplex. The directions indicated go 2 blocks "over the railroad tracks"...the preceeding statement is usually an indicator of either a really good neighborhood or a really bad neighborhood. In my case, it was the later.

Again, I did not wait to see what my eyes saw on the outside. I'd be afraid to leave a dog, if I had one, in this neighborhood.

The second area looked ripe for crime....piles of junk in the front yards along with the territorial broken down truck....hmmm...

okay...I'd like to stay a bit closer than "close to downtown" and might have to cough up a little more $ but...that's okay..just a bit more slim fast in the diet...

I'll keep you posted....I have to get out of Bradenton as I don't feel the gangs are doing that well of a job in their chosen line of work...we'll see if Sarasota's crime might be more high tech? (just kidding but one would think it would go with the territory, right?) ....lol

Old 04-10-2007, 01:43 PM

17,533 posts, read 39,113,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladywithafan View Post
During my apt. hunting in Sarasota...yesterday...I started looking at somewhat really cheap (in my opinion) efficiencies "close" to downtown Sarasota...$550 & $700. The $700 was at least an apt. bldg. with a big fence around it....but it had people with their door wide open playing their stereo loud...

It's not summer yet...so...I decided that would not be for me...

Number 2 was painted peach, the bottom unit of an up/down duplex. The directions indicated go 2 blocks "over the railroad tracks"...the preceeding statement is usually an indicator of either a really good neighborhood or a really bad neighborhood. In my case, it was the later.

Again, I did not wait to see what my eyes saw on the outside. I'd be afraid to leave a dog, if I had one, in this neighborhood.

The second area looked ripe for crime....piles of junk in the front yards along with the territorial broken down truck....hmmm...

okay...I'd like to stay a bit closer than "close to downtown" and might have to cough up a little more $ but...that's okay..just a bit more slim fast in the diet...

I'll keep you posted....I have to get out of Bradenton as I don't feel the gangs are doing that well of a job in their chosen line of work...we'll see if Sarasota's crime might be more high tech? (just kidding but one would think it would go with the territory, right?) ....lol
LadyWithAFan - I would hate to see you end up in an even worse situation than you think you have now. I know many people think Sarasota is just a super place, and it is for many people. However, it DOES have quite a lot of crime, you need to stay AWAY from downtown, just east of downtown and anywhere near the north trail. I just went down there this past weekend (I moved ten years ago) and I see the same problems that existed when I was there. I owned a home downtown, the area looked fairly decent when I was there but still I had an arsonist burn down my fence, TWO burglaries - one was in broad daylight when we had gone to the moview for two hours - and one at night and they let my pet cats out ) I also had 3 different indecent exposure incidents as I walked home in broad daylight from downtown. And that is not to mention more minor problems such as peeping Toms and loud music/partying, and threats from undesirables prowling the area.

There is a REASON why those rents are "cheap"! Try to get a roommate if you have to and rent a nice condo AWAY from downtown - avoid the areas just to the north and east, stay west or south and you should be OK.

Good luck!

Old 04-10-2007, 02:19 PM

65 posts, read 341,133 times
Brandenton - wasn't this a freak show town back in the day? Isnt this the place where they murdered Lobster Boy? If so, then this IS a dangerous town as I read about it in a travel book.

Old 04-10-2007, 02:38 PM

458 posts, read 598,581 times
I assume you are referring to the carnival worker nicknamed Lobster Boy who was killed by a guy his wife hired in the 1990s. She said he was abusive. I'm not sure what that has to do with Bradenton's overall crime as that stuff happens all over the place.

Old 04-11-2007, 10:00 AM

LadyWithAFan - I would hate to see you end up in an even worse situation than you think you have now. I know many people think Sarasota is just a super place, and it is for many people. However, it DOES have quite a lot of crime, you need to stay AWAY from downtown, just east of downtown and anywhere near the north trail. I just went down there this past weekend (I moved ten years ago) and I see the same problems that existed when I was there. I owned a home downtown, the area looked fairly decent when I was there but still I had an arsonist burn down my fence, TWO burglaries - one was in broad daylight when we had gone to the moview for two hours - and one at night and they let my pet cats out ) I also had 3 different indecent exposure incidents as I walked home in broad daylight from downtown. And that is not to mention more minor problems such as peeping Toms and loud music/partying, and threats from undesirables prowling the area.

There is a REASON why those rents are "cheap"! Try to get a roommate if you have to and rent a nice condo AWAY from downtown - avoid the areas just to the north and east, stay west or south and you should be OK.

Good luck!

You got that right!!! in regards to cheap rent....

My girlfriend lives on Ospry over by the Metro....I like that neighborhood and Burns Court.

Where I live in Bradenton, By Chevron on Manatee right before causeway, there have been robberies, muggings....I always live on the second floor....will be looking at some nicer places tomorrow...

Old 04-11-2007, 12:37 PM

1,499 posts, read 4,831,283 times
Sarasota is the pits. Bradenton is bad too. Orlando is pretty bad.

I am not even sure which one is worse.

I say move elsewhere IF you can. Life is too short to live stressed out about whether or not you can make it from your car to your job without being robbed and/or killed in the process.

Old 04-11-2007, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nirvana-Guy View Post
Sarasota is the pits. Bradenton is bad too. Orlando is pretty bad.

I am not even sure which one is worse.

I say move elsewhere IF you can. Life is too short to live stressed out about whether or not you can make it from your car to your job without being robbed and/or killed in the process.

C'mon now....you can get jacked while driving down the road in the best section of any town, any where.....a lot of us here in paradise think we have it bad....but my people up North say it's no different up there with the drugs, hos, gangs....I am originally from Detroit & I feel safer in downtown Manhattan .

Old 04-12-2007, 10:23 PM

1 posts, read 3,002 times
I have worked on that beach on and off since 1991 and the problem has always been there. The County of Manatee refuses to address the issue of that park in fear of "offending an illegal latino" yeah thats right you read it correctly. So now you have a small "resort" city that gets over run by 10-15 thousand gang bangers and the 10 man (full time) police force that is usually responsible for a population of 1300 full time residents gets stuck with that cancer in a COUNTY park. In addition this year their were members of a multi agency Anti-Gang task force made up with seasoned veteran officers from around the State on scene to help. Not to mention the Manatee County Cert / Tac team from a 2000 man department,,,Barney Fife I think not!! Did the 50 + Cops on duty make a difference ?? Of course not, because Gang bangers dont give a crap. If there were 250 cops there someone would have still been shot. The county refuses to make that park paid parking or for people to have a park pass...etc... Keep it free so the trash will drive 50 miles from Tampa and the surrounding area because they no NO ONE will or can effectively stop them. God forbid do we have the INS Bus on hand or Border patrol...we dont want to offend anyone. .

Last edited by Jammie; 04-12-2007 at 10:44 PM.. Reason: edited insults

Old 04-13-2007, 07:21 AM

1 posts, read 2,984 times
Default Sand Gangster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachcopper View Post
I have worked on that beach on and off since 1991 and the problem has always been there. The County of Manatee refuses to address the issue of that park in fear of "offending an illegal latino" yeah thats right you read it correctly. So now you have a small "resort" city that gets over run by 10-15 thousand gang bangers and the 10 man (full time) police force that is usually responsible for a population of 1300 full time residents gets stuck with that cancer in a COUNTY park. In addition this year their were members of a multi agency Anti-Gang task force made up with seasoned veteran officers from around the State on scene to help. Not to mention the Manatee County Cert / Tac team from a 2000 man department,,,Barney Fife I think not!! Did the 50 + Cops on duty make a difference ?? Of course not, because Gang bangers dont give a crap. If there were 250 cops there someone would have still been shot. The county refuses to make that park paid parking or for people to have a park pass...etc... Keep it free so the trash will drive 50 miles from Tampa and the surrounding area because they no NO ONE will or can effectively stop them. God forbid do we have the INS Bus on hand or Border patrol...we dont want to offend anyone. .

Why waste your breath defending our actions? Joe citizen believes he knows everything as they watch half reported news stories from these local stations. Until you go through the academy, field training, and get the badge, you bored housewives and Circle K employees should cease your jabbering jaws.

1. Complete a ride along form 2 days before Easter. So on Easter, you can ride along with us during the celebration.
2. Look up "Search and Seizure" laws on Google, Yahoo, Dogpile, etc and see how tied up we are.
3. Look up the Constitution.
4. Not everything is "The Shield" or "CSI".

So, is it as easy to profile gangsters and seal up the beaches like it is the border to Mexico?

Get realistic...

Old 04-13-2007, 07:29 AM

1,499 posts, read 4,831,283 times
Question Beachcop - questions.

CSI is the most ridiculous show in the world.

The Shield is more like the real cops in CALIFORNIA/MIAMI, NOT IN MOST OF FL!

But BeachCop, would you agree that Bradneton is becoming chaotic??

Are you guys allowed to ask people about their immigration status during traffic stops?? Do you guys report criminal aliens to ICE???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area