Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-17-2008, 03:18 PM

522 posts, read 1,607,277 times

Advertisements

I currently live in SE Florida and the job situation here is terrible. Not only are there no jobs, the jobs they have pay nothing considering the cost of living here. A decent 2 bed. apartment costs a min. of $1100. How does Sarasota compare on that front? Also, a general office clerical job pays $8-10 an hour and they want u to have top computer skills. I'm retired so I have a pension but I still need more money and what they pay is an insult to me (I'm not THAT old, 54). I really don't want to give up the ocean and warm weather but I'm afraid I may have no choice. Also, almost everyone down here is from NY and it's extremely unfriendly. I'm from the midwest and have never gotten used to the rudeness here. Is it better up there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2008, 06:20 AM

331 posts, read 1,542,695 times
It would be a much better atmosphere for you here. Majority of people are from midwest(predominantly Ohio, Michigan and Chicagoland), some are from New England, upstate NY, DC area. There are of course folks from NYC and Jersey, but they are very mild-mannered comparing to what you see on the other coast.

As far as apartment goes you can find a fairly good one for about $950.

Sarasota and Venice are two wonderful places to enjoy life, but jobs... well, to be honest, SE FL is an employment gold mine comparing to here. Getting hired for a $10+/hr 25+hrs/week office job is almost like winning the lottery(by the way, Powerball is coming to FL the first week of January). Actually, getting a 30hrs/week job in Walmart, K-Mart, Target or grocery chains for $7~8/hr is an insurmountable challenge lately. Former real estate professionals have firmly implanted themselves in more upscale spots like Macy's as well as hotel reception desks. They have no plans of vacating those positions any time soon, so no luck for you there either. Your best bet would be trying to get into Publix. If you can endure a year part-timing for close to minimum wage, they will give you a full-time ~10/hr then. Sorry, but it is what it is.

Old 12-18-2008, 03:56 PM

Unfortunatley, that's what I suspected. I need a decent job, so it looks like that's not an option for me. I'm actually thinking of moving to Miss. because their job market is not that bad, plus they pay about $16 an hour for receptionist positions.
Thanks for your response!

Old 12-20-2008, 09:38 AM

7 posts, read 25,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joanie55 View Post
I currently live in SE Florida and the job situation here is terrible. Not only are there no jobs, the jobs they have pay nothing considering the cost of living here. A decent 2 bed. apartment costs a min. of $1100. How does Sarasota compare on that front? Also, a general office clerical job pays $8-10 an hour and they want u to have top computer skills. I'm retired so I have a pension but I still need more money and what they pay is an insult to me (I'm not THAT old, 54). I really don't want to give up the ocean and warm weather but I'm afraid I may have no choice. Also, almost everyone down here is from NY and it's extremely unfriendly. I'm from the midwest and have never gotten used to the rudeness here. Is it better up there?
I can appreciate your dilema. I think SW Florida would suit you much better. The people on this coast are very friendly, most of which are from the north east and mid west. I live in Venice, 20 miles south of Sarasota. The cost of living is less here than SE Fl. but the job market is not better. One of the big issues here is no industry. Most of the people here are retired, by the way you would be on the younger side compared to those here. Wonderful place to live but the job market is the only issue I`ve found. I will probably move to Fort Myers / Naples just because there be a better chance for work. Good luck to you.

Old 12-22-2008, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovinflorida View Post
I can appreciate your dilema. I think SW Florida would suit you much better. The people on this coast are very friendly, most of which are from the north east and mid west. I live in Venice, 20 miles south of Sarasota. The cost of living is less here than SE Fl. but the job market is not better. One of the big issues here is no industry. Most of the people here are retired, by the way you would be on the younger side compared to those here. Wonderful place to live but the job market is the only issue I`ve found. I will probably move to Fort Myers / Naples just because there be a better chance for work. Good luck to you.
I have thought of that area as well, but I heard Naples is about as expensive as se florida and I have heard the people there are very uppity. But you know, I believe you can find uppity people anywhere you go. Boca Raton is certainly that way and so are areas of St. Louis, where I'm from originally. Thanks for your input.

Old 12-23-2008, 09:50 AM

1,336 posts, read 4,956,828 times
the current trend is people are simply moving back to where they are from. people are giving up on the sunshine pipedream and even the halfback scenario where they go to the carolinas and just going home where things r familiar and many had decent jobs in the past. florida may seem like a paradise dream for many when coming here but after some years many realize that life was not so bad where they came from

Old 12-24-2008, 01:56 PM

473 posts, read 1,165,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSnFla View Post
the current trend is people are simply moving back to where they are from. people are giving up on the sunshine pipedream and even the halfback scenario where they go to the carolinas and just going home where things r familiar and many had decent jobs in the past. florida may seem like a paradise dream for many when coming here but after some years many realize that life was not so bad where they came from

Makes sense execpt when I consider that we have seen the sun 3 times in 24 days here. As opposed to 23 or 24 there. Oh and there's this cold and snow and ice. Having lived in Georgia for 4 years but being born and raised in Canada and living in Buffalo for the last 15 years, let me tell you I can't wait for the problems associated with living down there.
Not all of them mind you but I am so done with this grey color everywhere day after day. And I don't even have seasonal disorder. Well I didn't think I did till lately!

Old 12-24-2008, 03:46 PM

414 posts, read 1,241,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beerme1 View Post
Makes sense execpt when I consider that we have seen the sun 3 times in 24 days here. As opposed to 23 or 24 there. Oh and there's this cold and snow and ice. Having lived in Georgia for 4 years but being born and raised in Canada and living in Buffalo for the last 15 years, let me tell you I can't wait for the problems associated with living down there.
Not all of them mind you but I am so done with this grey color everywhere day after day. And I don't even have seasonal disorder. Well I didn't think I did till lately!
I agree with beerme1 completely. There must be a reason there is a short line of people wanting to immigrate to North Korea and a long line waiting to get here in the US, recession or not. People will always yearn for a better climate, which is why people migrate south as they retire.
Perhaps my body chemistry is more amenable to tolerate the heat. Four years in grad school in Chicago was enough for me. To those who complain about the heat, I invite them to stand at the corner of Michigan and Chicago Aves. in the middle of February. It is far more miserable than the August heat in Sarasota.
Happiness and boredom are in one's head, not in one's location.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area