Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2009, 02:49 PM

10 posts, read 45,672 times

Advertisements

We're looking to make a spring-time family vacation with a big group, including 3 toddlers. So far we're looking at Siesta Key, Anna Maria Beach and Sannibel. Any thoughts on favorites? Just hoping for a non-busy beach, quiet with smooth white sand. Also is the month of May getting too hot for a nice visit?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2009, 03:03 PM

7,511 posts, read 22,827,670 times
My vote is for Anna Maria or Siesta. Plain an simple the beaches are nicer. Sanibel is known for it's shells-the beach has lots of broken up little shells on it. Siesta Beach is known for it's sugar white sand and it is on many lists for the top beaches in the world. Siesta can get kind of crowed though, in the winter. Anna Maria has a nice beach and would be less crowed than either of the other two beaches. Anna Maria also has a small village which is cool to walk around. My parents used to own a newspaper out there when I was a kid.

Last edited by SoFLGal; 01-04-2009 at 03:14 PM..

Old 01-04-2009, 03:07 PM

6,103 posts, read 15,023,150 times
I defer to SoFLGal, she knows all the areas better than anyone.

I stayed in Siesta Key two years ago, and it began my love affair down there. It is an awesome place, we brought our kids and we all had a great time. The water and the beaches are awesome. There are plenty of nice restaurants and beach bars to hang out for a bit too, if you can manage that with the kids.

Old 01-04-2009, 04:17 PM

425 posts, read 1,100,786 times
Default Listen to SoFlGaL

She knows best, I want to be at the beach allllll the time and here I am in cold connecticut

Old 01-04-2009, 04:28 PM

7,511 posts, read 22,827,670 times
Hey Grandmallie,

Maybe when you're back in town we all can meet up somewhere in town. I know Big House, Mr & Mrs Sunshine and a few others will be here in late Jan and early Feb. There's a bunch of other people that might show up as well. Will you be around then?

Old 01-04-2009, 07:19 PM

383 posts, read 1,019,492 times
All three beaches are great in their own way,(been to them all) but you ca'nt beat Sanibel for peace and quiet for a family vacation,and there are so many activities to enjoy there including the miles of excellent bike paths,kayaking,shelling(including shelling charters)fishing piers,calm water bay areas around the lighthouse point,(good for the little ones) Ding Darling Nature preserve tours,and there are some really nice beachfront condos to rent at fairly good prices too. I have been taking my family back there for almost 20 years,and trust me I have been to several places in the Carribean and Sanibel is still my favorite place to chill with the family.

Old 01-05-2009, 07:05 AM

3,645 posts, read 7,111,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grandmallie View Post
She knows best, I want to be at the beach allllll the time and here I am in cold connecticut

me too -it is 31 degrees here with a further wind chill of -9 so it feels C O L D oh and snow showers for good measure

Old 01-05-2009, 02:39 PM

4,892 posts, read 14,086,528 times
Siesta has white sand & lots more going on than Anna Maria....AMI is very quiet.

Old 01-05-2009, 04:01 PM

1,217 posts, read 2,820,958 times
If you have no teenagers go to Sanibel. It's an island with limited daytrippers and you are immersed in nature. Ding Darling Pk is fantastic to drive, get out and photograph (bring a telephoto lens), climb a lookout and they have a great nature center to show children stuff. I also like their gift shop, natural stuff not junk.

If you have teens or pre-teens Siesta Key is best for other things for them to do as well as the beach.

Anna Maria has a nice beach. We visit friends there every year but the first two get my vote.

Old 01-06-2009, 07:54 AM

17,462 posts, read 38,859,817 times
I don't think you can beat Siesta Key for a family vacation - great beaches and close to all kinds activities, dining, shopping, sight-seeing, etc.!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area