Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2009, 12:55 PM

6,103 posts, read 15,085,469 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaybee49 View Post
Hi, Just read your post and we live in Maine and are 80% sure we are moving to North Port in the fall of 2009. We really can't take the winters here any longer.

Do you have any recommendation of specific areas in NP that we should look at homes? Also, any opinion on the job market there? We are in our mid 50's so need to continue working for awhile. (IT Manager and a Health Insurance Agent.)

Our daughter lives in Cape Coral and we need to be closer.
Thanks for any correspondence.
Hi Kaybee49,

Welcome to the board!
This website will give you a ton of information and help from posters that will usually help you with any questions you have.

Again, you should DM SoFLGal, she is the expert in North Port, and she is a great real estate agent that will definitely help you out! She has great website that has a lot of information to about the area.

In order to DM (Direct Message) someone click on their name, in the upper left hand corner of any post that they make, and a window will pop down asking if you want to send a direct message to them. If you send them a direct message, they will get an email notification and can reply to you from there, just like email - infact in the email that you listed with your contact information you will get a notification that you were sent a direct message.

Good Luck on you move!
I hope to see you around!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2009, 04:37 PM

7,511 posts, read 22,918,024 times
As with everywhere in the country jobs are scarce. I would not move down here without securing one first. You would probably have the best luck looking in Sarasota or Venice for jobs.

Now on to areas in North Port. Many people don't realize how large NP is in land area. It's larger in size than Cincinnati, OH or Washington, DC. but it's only 30% built out.

I would have to know a little about you to know where you'd fit in best and be able to recommend an area. Do you like to be closer in where there are more homes or do you like more of a country feel, where you wouldn't have a lot of homes around? Did you want a gated community or does that not matter?

I live in North port and can probably help you with most of your questions here. There are some great deal out there right now. Lots of homes under $100K that are almost brand new.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaybee49 View Post
Hi, Just read your post and we live in Maine and are 80% sure we are moving to North Port in the fall of 2009. We really can't take the winters here any longer.

Do you have any recommendation of specific areas in NP that we should look at homes? Also, any opinion on the job market there? We are in our mid 50's so need to continue working for awhile. (IT Manager and a Health Insurance Agent.)

Our daughter lives in Cape Coral and we need to be closer.
Thanks for any correspondence.

Old 03-15-2009, 05:52 AM

40 posts, read 102,039 times
Job market here is very tight. Folks here commute to Sarasota, where jobs are now rather scarce. You can look up job opportunities on the internet. Snagajob.com could give you some ideas.

North Port Jobs | Find Jobs in North Port, FL | SnagAJob.com

North Port is such a new community that there are very few areas I couldn't recommend. If you must commute to work then you probably should look for something not too far from Interstate 75. North Port has two exits, one at Sumter Blvd. and another at Toledo Blade Blvd. There is a very long, pleasant street called Cranberry Blvd. that connects to Toledo Blade near the I-75 exit. On the opposite end of Cranberry is U.S. 41 and connections with our major shopping area.

If you have the experience and are inclined to run your own business, there are opportunities here because the city is so new. But be sure you have the funds to cover the first, start-up years. We had a celebrated case of a nice woman who opened an ice cream store that also sold sandwiches who picked a poor location, didn't check on city fees and didn't know how to run the store. She lost just about everything. But others who did their homework, and had experience, have done quite well.

When I arrived I had a trailer and so spent my home-searching time in a campground down near River Road. It is easy to find rental homes in North Port until you are established.

I don't think you will have a problem relocating here. Just solve the work issue first.

Old 03-15-2009, 06:14 AM

321 posts, read 1,029,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northporter View Post
Job market here is very tight. Folks here commute to Sarasota, where jobs are now rather scarce. You can look up job opportunities on the internet. Snagajob.com could give you some ideas.

North Port Jobs | Find Jobs in North Port, FL | SnagAJob.com
Great site! I wasn't aware of that one... here's another that is only for Sarasota & Manatee counties, and tends to post some lesser-advertised professional jobs:

Bradenton/Sarasota Jobs Employment Career Database Search

Good luck!

Old 03-15-2009, 07:52 AM

6,103 posts, read 15,085,469 times
Hey Northporter & ADIP,
I tried to give you rep points for your posts to help people find jobs! It wouldn't let me. It says I have to spread them around more - seems I like you guys too much! LOL

I get hammered all the time for being too nice! Darn It!

I heard a great song last night - went to Beil's Slip Knot - it was about "I aint never had too much" - Fun. & other stuff you can't have too much of. It was fun there. Have you guy's ever beent here - it is the place that looks like a Pirate shipe off of 41. It was pretty cool - great trio band too.

Old 06-13-2009, 09:44 AM

3 posts, read 4,843 times
no jobs and property taxes are outrageous;;;;although home prices are falling drastically the property taxes remain the same;;well water smells lke rotten eggs and septics have to be pumped monthly;;;
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area