Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2007, 03:33 PM

148 posts, read 604,690 times

Advertisements

Just curious since the idea of cost of living was brought up in selecting area because I have or am also considering Raleigh-Durham-Chapel Hill in North Carolina, maybe even Asheville, NC. No matter how much I research, it is hard to know when you are not in a place. But, curious, if anyone has an opinion on that area. It is easy for me to 'romanticize' places, but knowing if it is in or not within reach could help a lot in making decisions. Just a thought about Austin...I e-mailed a lady in Austin who was talking about water shortages in that area...she e-mailed me back and said she is a native but she is getting out in a couple of years, that she thinks they are having serious problems with their aquifer out there and that they are not going to be able to support the boomtown status of Austin in 5 years (another thing to consider).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2007, 03:45 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,276,538 times
Isn't it interesting that you are all talking amongst yourselves and not one of you lives there? The actual residents are either filthy rich and don't have the time for you or, the more real and sad possibility, they can't respond because their electricity was shut off after paying the mortgage, taxes and HOI!

Old 03-11-2007, 08:27 PM

942 posts, read 1,392,133 times
Hi sandyart, No I am not familiar with this palm coast, is it near St Pete. I would take the brief cooler winter in No Fla, versus the uncontrolled sprawl and cost in the rest of the state. I hope we all find what we are looking for, if it fact it even exists for us. I hope so any way. Keep me posted on what you guys have found on your travels, and I will also, maybe between all of us, we can find out and help each other decide where we all should set up house keeping.

Old 03-11-2007, 08:40 PM

942 posts, read 1,392,133 times
Hi: Roaringrox, I thoroughly enjoyed your post, I leave in the morning for Tallahassee, and I plan to visit those restaurants you mentioned. Yes I also think Tallahassee is not discovered yet, but will be, I am seeing it in Retirement publications more and more. Yes I hope they develop their downtown more, I understand they have to some extent. If I do move there I will miss the nice downtown we have in Portland, however I will not miss all the problems we have there though. I just want to look at all the different neighborhoods in Tallahassee, and see what it feels like, try the restaurants, meet some people where ever I can, and take a drive to the gulf area. When I come back I will then process all I saw there, and make my decision. I will let everyone know about my trip when I get back to Portland. Thanks.

Old 03-12-2007, 02:21 PM

4,895 posts, read 14,138,002 times
I work for the largest property management firm on Longboat Key and love it. I will be 45 this month.

LBK is pretty quiet and safe as far as I'm concerned. You're close enough to get over to Main st. in Sarasota and you're away from Bradenton proper.

Low crime....45 mph driving...love it....

NOT A LOT TO DO....well, during season lots of black tie parties....if you're into that....lots of volunteer opportunities in Sarasota...something for everyone...

I work the Film Festival each year, go to parties & see the best movies in the world....

Star Fish market has the freshest seafood .... in Cortez...just over the bridge on Anna Maria...

LBK is totally expensive as far as condos...houses...All of Manatee County & Sarasota is....

My mom is selling her 2/2/2 in Village Green, a nice area of Manatee, 10 min to the beach...and moving back to the East coast where you can go out a midnight & find ice cream cones...

But, if you like slow & the gulf like bathtub water in the summer, we do have the prettiest beaches....but remember...there is the awful traffic in high season...right now...

Old 03-12-2007, 03:12 PM

80 posts, read 340,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandyart View Post
Hi everyone,
What I mean is are people friendly, envronmentally concerned, can you get a P/T job, etc. general quality of life issues? We are having second thoughts since the housing market is extremely expensive, where a 2300 sq ft home on Palmer Ranch, Rivendall or MOte Ranch will set you back almost 500K. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated and also if there are other place with a lot of thinkgs to do that might work for us- - we need warm weather - -yes, I know Fla is unbearable in some of the summer- -A/C is great!
Sandy
I have lived in Sarasota since 1976 and just LOVE it. I boat, fish, go to the beach, ride my bike, etc. daily. Yes, in general the people are great and like any other area it's all about how you present your selve. The part-time job market is somewhat seasonal as there would be no problem getting a job from Dec. to April, other times of the year could be difficult.

Homes have come down 20% depending in sections of the county. I live very close to Palmer Ranch and can say without hesitation that it is a wonderful area to live. In fact the entire Gulf Gate area of town is great with home prices starting in the mid $200k range and increase to well over several million on the water.

In terms of a price point NOTHING is better then North Port on the West Coat of Florida. New 2,000 SF homes in the low $200k range and nice building lots available from the upper $20k's.

Old 09-04-2010, 12:46 PM

2 posts, read 10,469 times
what is life like for black americans and asian americans and hispanic americans??? Is there racial tension or any segregation?

Old 09-04-2010, 12:50 PM

2 posts, read 10,469 times
My post is referring to the sarasota/bradenton communities and the surrounding areas. I am wondering if the perspective is positive only from the white community. Also, it looks like the demographics are about the same as renton-maplevalley washington, where i am from. plenty of people who make a good living and have the ability to do what they want, but is there a large portion of the community that is in despair? in some places it is hard to determine the comfort level of the community.

Old 09-04-2010, 05:03 PM

1,089 posts, read 1,688,778 times
i guess expensive living is relative. I retired from NY to Sarasota about two months ago and purchased a 4 br/3 bat house with pool on a small lot just north of University for under 250k. Coming from Ny this was a bargain for me.
From what I've read of many posters, you can find something in the low 200's in many neighborhoods within easy reach of the beach.
Myself, I'm about 20 minutes from Lido Beach and as I drive around I find many many places where one can simply pull off the side of the road and find a neat beach to swim in
Dont give up. There are so many things to do here. Though the weather is hot in the summer, have you ever been to Austin in August?

Old 09-04-2010, 07:10 PM

7,201 posts, read 14,989,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OREGONRAIN View Post
I crossed sarasota off my list completely, not because of dislike of the area, but it was obvious to me, it was extremely overpriced and was only going to go up. I talked to many people there, and all of them immediately told me, how expensive it was there, I didn't have to just believe them, I did my own research. Whether younger or retiring in that area, and I just don't mean in the city itself, surrounding communities included, one needs alot of bucks in their pockets to live there.
Try the better sections of Bradenton. We learned it's cheaper to live there and Sarasota is not that far a drive if you like that city for it's food etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area