U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Florida: real estate, buying a house, cable service, broker, agent.

Old 02-19-2009, 03:55 PM

2,209 posts, read 7,266,726 times

Advertisements

If it says "Cable Available", it may not be true. If your livelyhood depends on trading stocks or selling things on ebay or whatever, imagine buying a house that the real estate listing says cable available, you get all excited, you put a lot of money down and the find out that cable is NOT available.

What does the law say about something like that? Anyone know?
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2009, 04:26 PM

16,389 posts, read 35,343,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTudo View Post
If it says "Cable Available", it may not be true. If your livelyhood depends on trading stocks or selling things on ebay or whatever, imagine buying a house that the real estate listing says cable available, you get all excited, you put a lot of money down and the find out that cable is NOT available.

What does the law say about something like that? Anyone know?
Do you mean, there is no cable service at all in the neighborhood, or that your particular house has not received cable before?

At any rate, I don't know if there is any "law" to help you there. When we bought our home last summer, many things were blatantly misrepresented by the selling broker. Our buyer's agent said we could try to sue, but we were told we would probably be wasting our money. We were told it is basically the buyer's responsibility to verify whether everything the listing says is accurate. Although we might have had a legitimate case in our situation, we didn't really want to go through all that, as we liked the house even with the misrepresentations.

Is this a house you have purchased? What does your agent say?

Old 02-19-2009, 04:30 PM

Oh I think the law would most certainly do something about misrepresentation. Certainly if a lawyer were retained, papers filed, there would definitely be a response. Because you chose to allow that to happen doesn't mean that the law is against you or would stand mute if a complaint was filed.

The listing claims cable available. Nonsense. We've spent the better part of a month on this. What does the realtor say? " Do you want to bail". That's what.

Seems to be a rather strange response coming from someone hoping to make a sale don't you? I think there's more here than what meets the eye. I'm angry. I don't hate much of anything but I do hate liars.

Old 02-19-2009, 04:39 PM

16,389 posts, read 35,343,115 times
Quote:
Oh I think the law would most certainly do something about misrepresentation. Certainly if a lawyer were retained, papers filed, there would definitely be a response. Because you chose to allow that to happen doesn't mean that the law is against you or would stand mute if a complaint was filed.

The listing claims cable available. Nonsense. We've spent the better part of a month on this. What does the realtor say? " Do you want to bail". That's what.

Seems to be a rather strange response coming from someone hoping to make a sale don't you? I think there's more here than what meets the eye. I'm angry. I don't hate much of anything but I do hate liars.
I don't blame you for being angry, Mr. Tudo. We were angry, too, at the time, but we had to weigh whether or not it would be worth it for us to file a lawsuit, and for us it just wasn't worth the aggravation. I guess you need to consult an attorney. good luck with it.

Old 02-19-2009, 05:11 PM

7,511 posts, read 21,527,205 times
At the bottom of every listing sheet is says:

Copyright 2009 MFRMLS, INC Information deemed reliable but not guaranteed. Parties are advised to verify.

I don't think it is a good situation to list erroneous information but my guess is that the above line might be a loop hole. I see lots of misinformation on listing sheets especially if it's an agent is from another area.

Before I put in any offer I would verify this information myself. In fact, I verified this information just today for a customer. You can easily go to Verizon, Comcast, Brighthouse, etc and call them or verify it online.

Old 02-19-2009, 05:21 PM

1,217 posts, read 2,616,792 times
That is a real issue. Cable is more than just entertainment nowdays. You are lucky if you have not gone to settlement yet. It's the kind of thing I would expect my inspector to find and either walk away from the sale or have a price reduction.

If it is your business you cannot function without it.

Old 02-19-2009, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoFLGal View Post

Copyright 2009 MFRMLS, INC Information deemed reliable but not guaranteed. Parties are advised to verify.

I don't think it is a good situation to list erroneous information but my guess is that the above line might be a loop hole. I see lots of misinformation on listing sheets especially if it's an agent is from another area.

Before I put in any offer I would verify this information myself. In fact, I verified this information just today for a customer. You can easily go to Verizon, Comcast, Brighthouse, etc and call them or verify it online.
That's not accurate either ( the online service ). It shows as a serviceable address on Comcasts website. What tipped me off was the satelite dish on the roof.

I've gone back and forth with Comcast on this and the left hand never seems to know what the right hand is doing. 3 Conversations and 2 had the same answer, that they would add an "extender" to the area , a whole new "trunk", which of course made us happy as heck. I called today to follow up and was told it's a non serviceable address and that this decision was logged on Feb 4th!

Feb 4th was when the initial contact was made. A lot has happened since then or so we were told.

So, do NOT trust what is online ,and frankly do not trust it until it's installed and working properly. And sorry but do not trust what the realtor says or puts on a listing. It could be the truth, then again it could be a total fabrication.

We did in fact have verizon FIOS installed at our cost last week. It's supposed to be much better than comcast. It's in the house now because of us and we tested it. It's not as fast as comcast and our fear about that is because it's a new system and considering the distinct possibility of an economic depression in this country, these new things stand a chance of being cut. We can't take the chance on gambling a going business on a new thing. I don't mind taking risks and that's part of being in business for oneself, but this is not a risk worth taking, so we're back to waiting to see if Comcast can be a reality or not.

Called them today, spoke to 2 different people and were told 2 different things. I just got off the phone with a supervisor and we'll get yet another answer tomorrow hopefully.

Old 02-19-2009, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imagardener View Post
That is a real issue. Cable is more than just entertainment nowdays. You are lucky if you have not gone to settlement yet. It's the kind of thing I would expect my inspector to find and either walk away from the sale or have a price reduction.

If it is your business you cannot function without it.
That's absolutely right.

An inspector wouldn't have a clue about this though. This is on the buyer. That's part of the contract, that it's installed and working to our satisfaction. I lived in 3rd world countries and know enough to not believe this stuff without seeing it. Our experience thus far is very third worldish and disappointing.

Hopefully it'll be resolved. We would both like to buy this place, close and put some people to work doing the renovations.

Old 02-19-2009, 05:59 PM

7,511 posts, read 21,527,205 times
Wow, that's pretty bad! I wonder if the best option might be to knock on a few of the neighbors doors and see what they have. If they have it it's probably safe to say that the home you are looking at will have it. Not fool proof but maybe another idea...

Quote:
That's not accurate either ( the online service ). It shows as a serviceable address on Comcasts website. What tipped me off was the satelite dish on the roof.

I've gone back and forth with Comcast on this and the left hand never seems to know what the right hand is doing. 3 Conversations and 2 had the same answer, that they would add an "extender" to the area , a whole new "trunk", which of course made us happy as heck. I called today to follow up and was told it's a non serviceable address and that this decision was logged on Feb 4th!

Feb 4th was when the initial contact was made. A lot has happened since then or so we were told.

So, do NOT trust what is online ,and frankly do not trust it until it's installed and working properly.

We did in fact have verizon FIOS installed at our cost last week. It's supposed to be much better than comcast. It's in the house now because of us and we tested it. It's not as fast as comcast and our fear about that is because it's a new system and considering the distinct possibility of an economic depression in this country, these new things stand a chance of being cut. We can't take the chance on gambling a going business on a new thing. I don't mind taking risks and that's part of being in business for oneself, but this is not a risk worth taking, so we're back to waiting to see if Comcast can be a reality or not.

Called them today, spoke to 2 different people and were told 2 different things. I just got off the phone with a supervisor and we'll get yet another answer tomorrow hopefully.

Old 02-19-2009, 06:01 PM

6,103 posts, read 14,153,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoFLGal View Post

And, I would like to confirm that you recommended that stance with me when I/we discovered the elevation certification error on one house we were interested in offering a contract on. We required insurance quotes be prepared in order to confirm our ultimate expense/exposure, and the listing agent continually pressed us to submit and offer - which we refused, until we had the proper accurate elevation certificate in hand. They didn't give it to us, and the flood insurance quotes came in between $ 8K and $ 10K per year. That was rediculous. Thank you SoFLGal for supporting our position, and offering good advice - as usual. So I know you really would want to make sure your clients get any inconsistancies resolved, and verify anything that seems suspect!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area