Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-20-2009, 10:39 PM

5 posts, read 12,308 times

Advertisements

I'm looking into coming down to Bradenton for spring training. What would be the best area to stay in? Could someone recommend a hotel? I've heard that staying close to McKechnie Field might not be the best thing to do. Thanks in advance for any help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2009, 06:29 PM

132 posts, read 325,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mook68 View Post
I'm looking into coming down to Bradenton for spring training. What would be the best area to stay in? Could someone recommend a hotel? I've heard that staying close to McKechnie Field might not be the best thing to do. Thanks in advance for any help.
I agree that staying close to McKechnie Field may not be the best way to spend your time in Florida.

In case you are not aware, McKechnie Field is where the Pirates play, but their training camp is called Pirate City, about 15 minutes away, at
1701 27th St E, Bradenton, FL. Click on the satellite view for this address on Google maps.

McKechnie Field address is 1611 9th Street West Bradenton Fl - you'll want to google map it as well.

I would stay at a hotel on either University Pkwy at the Sarasota/Manatee County line or on Fruitville Rd in Sarasota. You'll find newer motels like Hampton Inns, etc in this area. I would stay at a place near I-75, as this will make it easier for you to check out both Pirate City and games at McKechnie Field.
We've stayed here before and can recommend:
americinnsarasotahotel dot com

You can also stay directly across from the Sarasota/Bradenton airport (SRQ). This will put you a little closer to McKechnie Field. If you choose to do this, good choices are:
HILTON GARDEN INN
8270 North Tamiami Trail

COURTYARD SARASOTA-BRADENTON BY MARRIOTT
850 University Parkway
Across the street from SRQ

HYATT PLACE SARASOTA

I really like McKechnie Field. It has a lot of character and is a great atmosphere. The surrounding neighborhood is not the nicest (neither is the neighborhood around Pirate City), but who cares as long as you are not hanging out there at night.

Since the Rays have moved spring training to Charlotte County beginning this year, you'll find tickets tough to get for Pirate games against them due to the fact Rays fans from St Pete and Tampa will find Bradenton a hour closer than the trek down to Port Charlotte. Yankee games sell out quickly as do Red Sox games, as tickets are harder to get for these teams' spring training facilities and their fans tend to travel. Most other games you should have no problem.

Don't judge this area of Florida by the older neighborhoods you'll find in these areas of Bradenton. Sarasota, just 15 minutes or so away, is quite different and one of the most beautiful parts of Florida. If you can combine a trip to see the Pirates plus the white sand beaches of Siesta Key in Sarasota, you'll have the best of both worlds.

Joe

Old 02-21-2009, 10:48 PM

5 posts, read 12,308 times
Thanks for all of the info! I really appreciate it. I'm glad that I found this forum.

Old 02-22-2009, 06:06 AM

321 posts, read 1,029,006 times
Seated tickets for every Rays home spring training game at Charlotte Stadium are sold out and have been for weeks. GA tickets may still be available, and get you access to a grass berm.

If you do stay in Sarasota (I agree with whitesand), you could catch the Pirates at Ed Smith, when they play the Reds.

A nice, small boutique hotel in Sarasota proper (and therefore walking distance to restaurants) is Hotel Indigo.

Last edited by AnotherDayInParadise; 02-22-2009 at 06:07 AM.. Reason: attempted quoted text didn't take

Old 02-22-2009, 06:16 AM

6,103 posts, read 15,081,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherDayInParadise View Post
Seated tickets for every Rays home spring training game at Charlotte Stadium are sold out and have been for weeks. GA tickets may still be available, and get you access to a grass berm.

If you do stay in Sarasota (I agree with whitesand), you could catch the Pirates at Ed Smith, when they play the Reds.

A nice, small boutique hotel in Sarasota proper (and therefore walking distance to restaurants) is Hotel Indigo.
Sweet!
ADIP, what do you know about the Stone Crabs? I gotta go look on line to see if there is a schedule somewhere.

Old 02-22-2009, 02:26 PM

414 posts, read 1,245,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big House View Post
Sweet!
ADIP, what do you know about the Stone Crabs? I gotta go look on line to see if there is a schedule somewhere.
That kind of leads into my question. Are tix to Reds spring training games at Ed Smith Stadium hard to get? Can u just drop by the day of the game?

Old 02-22-2009, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smiledoc1 View Post
That kind of leads into my question. Are tix to Reds spring training games at Ed Smith Stadium hard to get? Can u just drop by the day of the game?

Smiledoc, Thanks for not saying "REDSOX!" LOL, as an Orioles fan, that would have been a bit confrontational! LOL

Old 02-22-2009, 08:49 PM

321 posts, read 1,029,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smiledoc1 View Post
HEY BOYS!

I bought four tix to a RAYS - Reds game at Ed Smith 4 weeks (?) ago, all in a row, behind home plate... no prob. I would say, depending on the match-up, you could probably buy tix the day of.

As for the mighty Stone Crabs, BH, I could tell you lots! I have purchased a half-season package. Their full-season schedule is available online. It's been great watching the Rays practice, because you can connect with some of the guys who may be spending the whole summer here. The stadium is gorgeous, and it's going to be a great time all-'round! The guys who are running the show are all incredible, and I'd be happy to give you names/numbers, but to be honest, you can get those online too. PM me if you want me to hold yer hand, though.

Play ball!

Old 02-23-2009, 05:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherDayInParadise View Post
HEY BOYS!

I bought four tix to a RAYS - Reds game at Ed Smith 4 weeks (?) ago, all in a row, behind home plate... no prob. I would say, depending on the match-up, you could probably buy tix the day of.

As for the mighty Stone Crabs, BH, I could tell you lots! I have purchased a half-season package. Their full-season schedule is available online. It's been great watching the Rays practice, because you can connect with some of the guys who may be spending the whole summer here. The stadium is gorgeous, and it's going to be a great time all-'round! The guys who are running the show are all incredible, and I'd be happy to give you names/numbers, but to be honest, you can get those online too. PM me if you want me to hold yer hand, though.

Play ball!
Uh Oh! Did is sense a "Flirt-Back"! hmmmm! I'm nervous and dumbfounded now! LOL {pacing back and forth} LOL

Thanks for the online information. I'm going to check it out!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area