Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-18-2009, 01:40 PM

1,370 posts, read 2,181,145 times

Advertisements

I've read through a lot of threads, but most refer to homeowners.

I am 53, single, female, and permanently disabled on SSDI (no, not welfare, I make too much for any public assistance.) However, I make a grand whopping total of $1300 a month, which puts me way below poverty line I think.

I spent 49 of my years living in SoCal, and the last 3 in So. NH, where I moved to live with my bro to "get back on my feet."

It's beautiful here. Low crime. No traffic. No smog.

Unfortunately, you can't go outside most of the year. It takes living here a few years to realize that.

Moving back to California is out of the question as it is too expensive and I can't bear the crush of humanity again.

Soooo . . .

I am looking at the Englewood area to rent, although I am flexible. I have actually found some places that I could afford in East Englewood.

My priorities are:

1. Inexpensive.
2. SAFE.
3. Within close walking distance to grocery, drugstores and other "essential" shopping OR close to public transit for the same.
4. Same as 3 for swimming beaches.
5. Accepts pets.

I will not be able to afford a vehicle, unfortunately, so need to be in a "walkable" area that is not going to scare me to death. I am ambulatory, but I suffer from chronic pain and other good things and am only able to get out and about every few weeks.

I have no need of bars, clubs, or entertainment as I am not well enough to do much of anything except sit like a lump. I would like to be able to sit like a lump OUTSIDE, humidity or not, on a patio, in a backyard, or on an uncrowded beach where it might be possible to do some swimming/floating and/or snorkeling on one of my few good days.

Also, if I did rent a place with a lawn, what creatures might be renting that area with me? Snakes? Alley-gators?

There are two places right now in East Englewood, off of McCall Road and Sunnybrook Blvd. There is a Winn-Dixie there which I assume is a grocery store and pharmacy. Is that a safe area?

All that said, is there anyplace else that you could suggest along the coast that is SAFE? I don't have to worry about commuting or schools and don't care if everybody is older than me.

Thanks in advance for any help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2009, 04:58 PM

1,217 posts, read 2,834,532 times
I don't think Englewood is very walkable.

Why can't you be outside much in California? Florida is hellishly hot and humid in the hurricane season from May through early October so you won't be out much here either. Some people have been reporting very high A/C bills and with this cold winter I've seen reports of $500-$600 plus elec. bills.

I'm not trying to scare you off, it's cheaper living here than Calif. from what I've read because we considered moving there until we added up taxes, home costs, etc. So we stayed in FL.

BTW gators are a fact of life in Florida. You are safe swimming in the Gulf but don't walk your small dog near ponds or canals.

Old 02-18-2009, 09:22 PM

Thanks for your response, imagardener.

You can be outside in California, which is what I miss. I've been perpetually in the house since late October in NH. I can sit outside here, but I would get frostbite.

But rents in California are like the cost of housing - completely unaffordable no matter where you live, and there are lots of areas that nobody wants to live in. Plus crime is unbelievable. I can get a place in Florida for 1/3 the price in LA, OC and the Inland Empire. I'm just trying to determine the best place. Any suggestions are welcome.

Old 02-19-2009, 12:31 AM

61 posts, read 230,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C2ShiningC View Post
I've read through a lot of threads, but most refer to homeowners.

I am 53, single, female, and permanently disabled on SSDI (no, not welfare, I make too much for any public assistance.) However, I make a grand whopping total of $1300 a month, which puts me way below poverty line I think.

I spent 49 of my years living in SoCal, and the last 3 in So. NH, where I moved to live with my bro to "get back on my feet."

It's beautiful here. Low crime. No traffic. No smog.

Unfortunately, you can't go outside most of the year. It takes living here a few years to realize that.

Moving back to California is out of the question as it is too expensive and I can't bear the crush of humanity again.

Soooo . . .

I am looking at the Englewood area to rent, although I am flexible. I have actually found some places that I could afford in East Englewood.

My priorities are:

1. Inexpensive.
2. SAFE.
3. Within close walking distance to grocery, drugstores and other "essential" shopping OR close to public transit for the same.
4. Same as 3 for swimming beaches.
5. Accepts pets.

I will not be able to afford a vehicle, unfortunately, so need to be in a "walkable" area that is not going to scare me to death. I am ambulatory, but I suffer from chronic pain and other good things and am only able to get out and about every few weeks.

I have no need of bars, clubs, or entertainment as I am not well enough to do much of anything except sit like a lump. I would like to be able to sit like a lump OUTSIDE, humidity or not, on a patio, in a backyard, or on an uncrowded beach where it might be possible to do some swimming/floating and/or snorkeling on one of my few good days.

Also, if I did rent a place with a lawn, what creatures might be renting that area with me? Snakes? Alley-gators?

There are two places right now in East Englewood, off of McCall Road and Sunnybrook Blvd. There is a Winn-Dixie there which I assume is a grocery store and pharmacy. Is that a safe area?

All that said, is there anyplace else that you could suggest along the coast that is SAFE? I don't have to worry about commuting or schools and don't care if everybody is older than me.

Thanks in advance for any help.
The area you are talking about off Sunnybrook is nice, my daughter and her family live there. Yes, you would be able to sit on your front porch without fear of being accosted. You are correct about the Winn-Dixie.
There are likely NO Alligators out there. Racoons and Armadillos, yes.
That's a sparsely developed area at least on the Wynn-Dixie side of Sunnybrook but it doesn't sound like you would be doing much wandering around out in the brush so I wouldn't worry about wild animals or snakes.
You won't find much near the beach that isn't outrageous.
Public transportation is almost non existant down here. There is bus service but it's slim. There is taxi service available and it's reasonable compared to northeast (New York style) taxi service.

Old 02-19-2009, 01:02 PM

1,217 posts, read 2,834,532 times
Quote:
I'm just trying to determine the best place. Any suggestions are welcome.
C2
Venice has a very affordable transit system. I heard it was $1/ride but don't have personal knowledge. Some people will tell you Venice is expensive BUT it is very walkable, very low crime and with a lot of work I'll bet you could find a good reasonable rental. Don't look for one close to the beach, take the transit there and keep your rent down.
The other important factor is access to medical and Venice has lots of that.
We like Venice but couldn't find the right house to buy there. For you it could be perfect.
It also has a nice library and cultural center. Englewood doesn't have the cultural center but has a nice library.

do a craigslist search (don't know if this link will work in this post)
http://sarasota.craigslist.org/searc...=max&bedrooms=

Last edited by imagardener; 02-19-2009 at 01:05 PM.. Reason: add info

Old 02-19-2009, 04:18 PM

Thanks, folks, for the info. I have been using craigslist, thanks gardener, that's how I got started on this whole thing. There are a few listed in Venice, but somehow I got the impression here that Venice was a bit UNSAFE. Don't you love my all-caps? I think I read that about Nokomis too, but I could be wrong.

Venice would be wonderful, I really need public transportation, and my lifeline to the world is the library.

I appreciate your time answering me and want to thank you.

Of course, any other comments are welcomed.

Old 02-19-2009, 05:20 PM

7,511 posts, read 22,912,465 times
Hmmm...the average age in Venice is 68. I can't say there is no crime in Venice but I certainly would not consider it unsafe. The same goes for Nokomis-not a whole lot of crime. Venice also has a good public library out on the island and another one off of Jacaranda Blvd. I'm thinking the idea place would be out on the island of Venice. Close to shopping, library, restaurants, beaches, etc. You might be able to find an annual rental out there in your range. I think Horse and Chaise rentals has quite a few out that way.

My mother in law is in her 70's and rides that SCAT-Sarasota County Area Transit everywhere she goes. She seems to be very pleased with the bus system.

Quote:
Thanks, folks, for the info. I have been using craigslist, thanks gardener, that's how I got started on this whole thing. There are a few listed in Venice, but somehow I got the impression here that Venice was a bit UNSAFE. Don't you love my all-caps? I think I read that about Nokomis too, but I could be wrong.

Venice would be wonderful, I really need public transportation, and my lifeline to the world is the library.

I appreciate your time answering me and want to thank you.

Of course, any other comments are welcomed.

Old 02-21-2009, 07:44 PM

61 posts, read 230,263 times
"SoFLGal" is going to be the person to listen to, she's in Real Estate.

Yes, Venice would be a better place for a "pedestrian" than Englewood.
We're kind of the orphan step-child of 2 counties, because the town is split, on both sides of the border of Sarasota and Charlotte counties. "Community develpoment" doesn't get here too often.
Sidewalks are few and far between except in what I refer to as "the suburbs".
We didn't even have a 4 lane highway (with sidewalks) all the way through this town till the late 90's. There were occaisions when people were still running into cows on the road between Venice and Englewood when I moved here in 97!

"Crime" is subjective. It depends on where you've been. We don't have "big city" crime in this area.
Here's a way to look at it. Burglaries, car break-in's, purse snatchings and other petty crimes are still rare enough here that they make the "News".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area